Move over Google Chromecast, there is something cheaper - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 29 Old 08-07-13, 06:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Move over Google Chromecast, there is something cheaper

Quote:
tripplej wrote: View Post
You and me both. But we are part of a niche market that wants excellent audio and excellent video. I am afraid, lot of people just want to settle and get some cheap tv that means their needs.

Streaming satisfies the "masses" so to speak and it satisfies the studio's and other companies that are pushing streaming as a go forward model.
Their model is to help stamp out piracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 08-07-13, 06:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Rich

I agree. I want a good clean image. Every time I watch something in 480p, I feel like my eye sight is going.
post #23 of 29 Old 08-13-13, 11:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

Quote:
I agree.. It is just a matter of time. For the niche market, high end video/audio will be there but for the "masses", it will be streaming. Afterall, look at netflix, hulu, and all the other streaming apps. It is exploding left and right and the "masses" are happy.
High-end goes not translate to disc-based. Downloads already beat physical media, in terms of both audio-only and A/V formats. No reason to think progress will do a 180.

DIY HTPC - 32GB RAM, 4.4Ghz overclocked quad-core i5 CPU -- -- Crown XTi-2002 -- Crown XTi-1000 -- Mains: 4X Sony Xplod XS-GTX121LW 12" subwoofer/woofers & Selenium D3300Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver (tweeter) -- Subwoofers - 4X DIY 12" Sony Xplod Ported - 16hz tune -- Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR
post #24 of 29 Old 08-14-13, 06:45 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

Quote:
Dub King wrote: View Post
High-end goes not translate to disc-based. Downloads already beat physical media, in terms of both audio-only and A/V formats. No reason to think progress will do a 180.

Its amazing to think of what we see today and Cable TV and what it will be like in 15 years. All these kids with tablets will probably never turn a TV on in the future.

Netflix/Hulu etc are going to change the landscape for sure. They are planting the seeds in a new generation. Its funny to see CBS and Timewarner clawing at each other when they both know what is really coming....
post #25 of 29 Old 08-14-13, 06:59 AM
Elite Shackster

It is only a matter of time..

VCR in 1975
laser Disc in 1978
Video CD in 1993
DVD in 1995
Blu-ray Disc in 2006
Video on Demand (Streaming)

As was mentioned, eventually users in the near distant future will say dvd, what is that? lol.
Similar to what kids today will say, vcr what is that? lol.

Time marches forward.

Only Quality will be the one that that may or may not be "acceptable" depending on the masses!
post #26 of 29 Old 08-14-13, 07:06 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

I guess the quality being acceptable is interesting. I love quality blue ray, loseless music... However I never got into SACD that seemed to be over the edge for me. Does that make me a hypocrite for wanting quality but not getting into SACD ?
post #27 of 29 Old 08-15-13, 08:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Yes all this stuff changes real fast I have stuff in my closet I may never see again due to the fact that I no longer have the equipment to play it on.

By the way I'm 73 and saw my first TV when I was 14. Boy time and technology really moves fast. Which tells me you young folks will see things I haven't even dreamed about yet.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-15-13, 07:18 PM
Senior Shackster

I feel the same as you do and I'm 56

W o o f e r h o u n d
post #29 of 29 Old 08-18-13, 12:00 PM
Shackster
Ivan

My System

Quote:
The wave of the future is here. Streaming .. Now, every smart phone, tablet, computer, dvd player, tv, gaming systems, and whatever else manufacturers can think of to get you to stream will have the ability to stream content online..

Could this be the start of the end for dvd and in particular discs? With all this push to go to the "cloud" i.e. streaming everything online, is it the start of the end for physical media like dvd discs?
It's going to be quite some time before physical media is considered moot. ISP infrastructure still has a long way to go to be able to stream 4k movies without compression.