Move over Google Chromecast, there is something cheaper - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 29 Old 07-26-13, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Keith Lock

Move over Google Chromecast, there is something cheaper

I talked the other day about Google's foray into the streaming TV hardware market with its tiny (and cheap) Google Chromecast device. For only $35 you can get this little HDMI connecting dongle-type device that sports a WiFi connection. With it you can stream TV from YouTube, Netflix and the Chrome web browser (and other sources) using your Internet connected devices as a remote control. And it'll even let you use different devices to take over the remote controlling. For example, child A starts some YouTube faves from his tablet PC, then when it's child B's turn to use the TV, she can take over the streaming with her mobile phone.

To sweeten the deal, Google was giving 3 months of Netflix away for free by way of a promo code from every purchase. The Netflix promo code could be used by new and existing Netflix subscribers. But now, some sources point out, that after about 250,000 Netflix codes given away, Google had enough. No more free months of Netflix with the Google Chromecast, but that's OK, it's still cheap.

Google Chromecast, at least as of right now, is only available for those in the United States. This is a bummer for us Canadians, and those across in the U.K. (and of course other countries). But, the U.K. had some recent good news in terms of its affordable TV streaming device offerings.

BSkyB, a U.K. satellite TV service has come out with an inexpensive Internet TV box for just £9.99. That's about $15 in U.S. (or even Canadian) currency. Now that is cheap! The TV box is called Now TV. Netflix and Amazon/Lovefilm are competition to BSkyB so not surprisingly, subscriptions for those services will not be supported by Now TV.

BSkyB invested in Roku last year which makes this web to TV box not something that is very surprising news to those following BSkyB/Roku news. Others that have invested in Roku include: 21st Century Fox, Dish Network, and Hearst, so my guess is there are even more boxes to come. When will it end?

Amazon is also coming out with a web to TV box which will no doubt highlight their offerings for streaming video. Clearly price point was a determining factor for the market, and since these devices can be made cheaper, they are being made cheaper. And offered at lower rates to drive sales. Looking through the comments on some of the news related to this type of hardware, many people are proud collectors of Internet TV streaming hardware. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Source: allthingsd.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-26-13, 12:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Move over Google Chromecast, there is something cheaper

The wave of the future is here. Streaming .. Now, every smart phone, tablet, computer, dvd player, tv, gaming systems, and whatever else manufacturers can think of to get you to stream will have the ability to stream content online..

Could this be the start of the end for dvd and in particular discs? With all this push to go to the "cloud" i.e. streaming everything online, is it the start of the end for physical media like dvd discs?
post #3 of 29 Old 07-27-13, 09:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

WOW, now that is cheap!!! Looks just like a Roku, just white.

I agree, the future of streaming is here. Myself along with many friends and family have already 'cut the cord' opting only for the highest speed internet available since we all stream (and use antenna for OTA material, which is actually rarely). Hopefully this trend will also help cable/sattelite subscribers by making those companies drop prices.

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
post #4 of 29 Old 07-27-13, 10:11 AM
Elite Shackster

We have also done the same. We cut cable due to the high prices and stream netflix or youtube or go to websites online via laptop since our tv doesn't have hdmi..

With the push toward streaming, I suspect the cable companies will be forced to re-think their model of ever increasing prices every year.
post #5 of 29 Old 07-29-13, 07:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

could these devices put an end to VHS?

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #6 of 29 Old 07-29-13, 09:03 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
smurphy522 wrote: View Post
could these devices put an end to VHS?
lol.

My VHS unit finally stop working a month back. Funny thing is that hardly anybody I know still has a working VHS player.. In fact, one can hardly find a VHS tape now in the stores..

Time moves on..

Streaming is the thing now..

Last edited by tripplej; 07-29-13 at 09:53 PM.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-29-13, 09:30 PM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

I didn't realize anyone was still using VHS...

I still have a couple SVHS machines just in case someone needs to make a copy to DVD, but that's it. There are a lot better ways to record material now digitally.

But, having said that, with streaming we have found we never need to record - it's all available (pretty much - at least the shows we watch).

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
post #8 of 29 Old 07-29-13, 09:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
cavchameleon wrote: View Post
But, having said that, with streaming we have found we never need to record - it's all available (pretty much - at least the shows we watch).
I agree 100%.. I have lot of vhs tapes on hand but no player.. It's ok thou, I hardly looked at the tapes in the past 5-10 years ever since DVD came out..

Now, of course, most if not all of the tv shows and movies I watch are not on dvd as much as they are now streamed online.. Signs of the times.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-31-13, 07:36 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

all these streaming devices are absolutely ruining the viewer experience. no 5.1 , no lfe, 2.0, lame 480P, and everyone 'Loves' it. no idea why they even make blue ray players. watching streaming content IS like watching VHS.
post #10 of 29 Old 07-31-13, 08:55 PM
Elite Shackster

I believe for the "average Joe consumer" streaming is simple and cheap while the quality may not be top it is "acceptable". For audiophiles and videophiles, streaming is a step backward in terms of its video and audio capabilities. Unfortunately for the niche that is the folks reading this forum and other similar forums like this one is that we are in the minority who want and desire high quality sound and video.

Unfortunately the manufacturers are catering to "Average Joe consumer" who are in the majority.