Multiple Netflix user profiles feature starts with Apple TV - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 07-31-13, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Keith Lock

Multiple Netflix user profiles feature starts with Apple TV

Dear Netflix: I like and appreciate that you provide recommendations for me for TV shows and movies to watch from your streaming service. And I understand that the choices you present to me are based on my viewing history. But you must know that it was my children that watched The Amazing World of Gumball and not me. Therefore your recommendation for me to watch Tom and Jerry: Musical Mayhem is moot. Yours: Happy Yet Frustrated

Have you ever thought of sending a letter similar to the above to Netflix in terms of the shows that it recommends that you watch from their service? Maybe you wouldn't use the word 'moot' and this will only apply if you share your Netflix account with other people and that you actually care about Netflix's recommendations. But if the recommendations were more personalized, would that be appreciated?

Well, a feature to improve the recommended watch list that was announced at the E3 conference in June this year has been rolled out, at least to the Netflix app on Apple TV. Each member of the household will be able to create their own profile, and will have their own watch history (no more being embarrassed by your viewing habits, they can be private now), and therefore their own list of recommendations that might actually be on point for them.

Will this cause some fights in the family for people using the wrong account, like I see that happens with my cousin's kids on their XBox when the little brother plays games using the bigger brother's profile? Will this cause frustration because there are more steps, or will this be a welcome feature?

My guess is those that appreciate the recommendations like the fictional person "Happy" who wrote the letter above will also appreciate this new feature.

With their own profile, each member of the household also gets their own avatar as well. Those users that setup individual profiles on the DVD-to-mail Netflix service will see them show up on their Apple TV. And now parental controls can be setup on a per profile basis, a welcome feature for parents I am sure. No more parental control across the board which could be frustrating for the older viewers with less viewing restrictions.

Other Netflix apps beyond Apple TV will be able to see the new Netflix profiles feature in action likely by the end of the summer.

Last edited by keithlock; 08-03-13 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-31-13, 07:10 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Multiple Netflix user profiles feature starts with Apple TV

This is good news. More profiles the better. What I watch and what the kids watch are 100% opposite. I don't want to see "My little Pony" nor "Thomas the Train".. lol.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-31-13, 10:44 PM
Senior Shackster

This would be GREAT!!..I have 3 kids, ranging from 5 to 11, so this is a much needed upgrade!!
post #4 of 19 Old 08-01-13, 06:50 AM
Senior Shackster

Donnie

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

I agree and will welcome the day I no longer get recommendations for shows / movies that are based on what my 2yr old grandson watched the last time he was at my house.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-01-13, 09:00 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

While this seems like a great idea...does it really have an alternative purpose?
Is netflix seeing how many people are using an account? Will they then change their agreement to implement a policy of more than three accounts on an account will require an additional fee?
Whats pegged as a consumer plus sometimes has a purpose of its own. Its the smart way of getting what you want out of a consumer. Determining the true number of user on an account.
Just saying...good be...who knows

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #6 of 19 Old 08-01-13, 09:21 PM
Elite Shackster

While adding profiles benefits the consumer by showing similar shows/movies per profile, it does give marketing data for netflix.. They can break down their members to see what shows are worth keeping and which are not. In the end, it is all about data mining and I am sure Netflix will use the numbers to see if multiple users should be charged later or not. For now, anyways, netflix is ok with sharing accounts. We shall see how this plays out for sure.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-02-13, 12:34 AM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

This will be a huge improvement in the Netflix experience and I hope they implement it across all platforms. In my household there is rarely more than one Netflix user active at a time but we are all under one account. During the day it is generally children's programming that dominates. I don't use the account for viewing adult content on a daily basis. What happens is that all the recommended titles are directed toward the most frequent viewer, my three year old. Lame...
post #8 of 19 Old 08-02-13, 12:44 AM
Shackster

My System

It works on the PS3 now
post #9 of 19 Old 08-03-13, 03:49 PM
Shackster

I have wanted this for years, my 14 yr old daughter has been the primary Netflixer in my house and I cant wait for her to get her own profile. Now that I have DirecTV, we do not use Netflix as much but it still serves a purpose to my family.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-04-13, 10:40 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

I've found that it does work over the HTPC. Until recently, I could not add titles to watch instantly queue under my login (wife is primary account holder ) but now I can!