Singulus Technologies Announcement Puts the Industry on the Cusp of 4K Blu-ray Production - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 09-13-13, 02:36 PM
HTS Reviewer

Re: Singulus Technologies Announcement Puts the Industry on the Cusp of 4K Blu-ray Production

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
For me, the notion that the new equipment hitting the streets is 4K compatible is a half-truth, because there's a good chance the industry will tap into the abilities of HDMI 2.0. The same thing happened with 3D... right?
That's what I'm thinking. The idea that getting a 4K capable receiver or TV right now will prevent it from going obsolete until the next (8K... who knows?) format is available is not entirely true. But a lot of consumers may be lead to believe that. I guess it will depend on what standards are set for 4K physical media. Either way, I'm not planning to jump on any kind of UHD/4K/HDMI 2.0 bandwagon until the dust settles and the prices come down. Until then I'll tolerate my measly 60" 1080p plasma display and just keep beefing up my audio system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-13-13, 02:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Singulus Technologies Announcement Puts the Industry on the Cusp of 4K Blu-ray Production

Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
Until then I'll tolerate my measly 60" 1080p plasma display and just keep beefing up my audio system
I agree 100%. Best to wait it out. Who knows what will happen. Even with no 4K or Ultra HD content, prices are crazy high for the 4K equipment. Maybe in 5 to 10 years, when 4K is available and prices are reasonable, sure..
post #13 of 16 Old 09-13-13, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

While I love tech and following its development, I'm in the same boat as you. Very content waiting.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-15-13, 08:54 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Send a message via Skype™ to phazewolf

I see no point in 4K. Currently there is little to no content, people will most likely have to replace most of there stuff and for what? A res that you may not be able to see a difference in unless your running a really huge screen

Most people I know are running 55 to 60 inch systems what need do they have for this type of rez when I can set there current setup to 720 and back to 1080 and half can't see the difference.

Now if I was running a 200 inch screen sure I can see this being a really nice thing but with my current 55 inch and no room for larger what is it they have to offer the average person who does not have a endless pocket book for upgrades every other year.

Also until it is a industry wide product I see no reason to spend a cent because for all I know it is a money grab kink of like how we had HD DVD and BluRay at the same time. It is a neat idea but until they have a 55" set down to $800 or so and everything set in stone I cant see it going far.

I look at it this way in the last year I just redid my setup why spend all that money again to buy something that the movies and industry have not said they even plan to make content for.

A lot of the content they list for 4K I am guessing is going to be up-converted sense a lot of the list I have seen was a mix of older and newer so how is this going to look? They had a hard time taking stuff on DVD and up-converting it and making it look good what is something with 4 times the res going to look like when DVD was really a small jump when compared to this.

When they answer all of this maybe I will look into it. Am I being too picky with this or does anything I have said make a bit of sense.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-16-13, 09:51 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

I am definitely waiting and will not jump in to the 4k market until prices are affordable. I have a 120 inch screen. The upgrade would be expensive ie new screen/projector/bluray player. I will stick with 1080p and continue to improve audio system/room response.

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #16 of 16 Old 09-16-13, 06:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

I'm only willing to upgrade every 10-15 years more often then that and I will bankrupt my self , tech changes to often for anyone person to keep up just a few years ago I upgraded my system and I'm keeping it . lets see what 10 years brings before I lay-down 3-5 k again