HDMI 2.0 is Available Now - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: HDMI 2.0 is Available Now

I agree with all of the sentiments being expressed. While new tech is exciting, it's hard to run to it with open arms knowing our wallets will be pried from our pockets. I would imagine 1080p gear will be the mainstay for the foreseeable future and will slowly be phased out. By the time most of us are ready for an upgrade, the choice will probably be: 4K or... 4K. If you are starting to think about a new purchase, but aren't in a "need it now situation, I'd definitely be inclined to say it's best to wait.

I'm definitely interested in the prospects of 4K projectors... I received a demo of a 60" 4K display at a Sony Store. It was beautiful, especially standing close to the screen (far closer than I would ever choose to sit). But, to my eye, the differentiation between it and a 1080p set were not that obvious.

4K paired with HDMI 2.0 will be able to deliver 12 bit color... something current HDMI 1.4 standards can't deliver. That should smooth out color gradations in images. And, super large screen sizes... those with 100" screens will also undoubtedly see an uptick in PQ. Not to mention the prospects of what designers can do with 32 audio channels.

It's all very interesting, but obviously in its infancy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
ElectronicTonic wrote: View Post
Yeah, they really picked a bad time to release it.(not that there's ever a good time, with technology)
I wonder if they'll release a HDMI 2.0 version later, or just go the firmware route.
You'd have to assume Sony is including it... they are a part of this whole movement.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 01:59 PM
Shackster

Shane

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
You'd have to assume Sony is including it... they are a part of this whole movement.
I hope you're right, but they started production a while back.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I guess it depends on how long ago the chipsets were available. But, you raise a good point because they produce far more playstations than 4K displays.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 02:35 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Sony is the biggest backer of the 4K movement. , they are actually doing recordings in the studio in
8K. They are also behind HDMI 2.0 and the 100GB Blu ray disc for 4K media.

Making the PS4 100GB Blu Ray and HDMI 2.0 compatible is the key to there success....So i guess we will see if they wanna succeed.

Some may argue but I would say PS3 made Blu ray happen... and it didnt hurt the 3D movement with the free upgrade they dished out.

I have high expectations of the PS4 ...lets see how November will turn out..

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #16 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 02:42 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I remember when the latest USB format came out they said it needed a faster hard drive. You couldn't just swap out the USB cards. I wonder is that is the case with this HDMI format....will the HD's in X-Box/PS-4 consoles be up to speed? And what about HT PC's?
post #17 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 03:00 PM
Elite Shackster

wow. This must be the fastest growing thread.. Just a short while ago it was created and now lot of responses.

Guess lot of people are interested in hdmi 2.0.
post #18 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 08:10 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

"HDMI 1.4 will work except for 4K shot in a format over 24fps. And most movies are shot in 24fps."

Phillihp23: I apologize, I meant to respond to a quote in your thread, and it appears that I accidentally hit edit. LOL. I'm sorry. Please feel free to edit this and add back your comments. They are valuable to the discussion! - Todd

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 09-17-13 at 08:27 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Hi all, I accidentally edited Phillip23's last remarks. I hope he adds them back into the dialog... they are important for sorting all of the technicalities out!

He was referencing the conclusions of a cnet article concerning HDMI 2.0.

He is totally correct in that HDMI 1.4 is capable of delivering 4K material in 24 frames per second. In fact the drive based media player called REDRAY has four HDMI 1.4 outputs allowing for higher frames per second. What the 1.4 spec can't do is funnel 12 bit color... it's limited to 8 bit.

Obviously the goal of HDMI 2.0 is to up the available capacity of a single HDMI cord (more bandwidth - higher frame rate capability and more colors. If I'm not mistaken 8 bit allows for over 16.5 billion colors... 12 bit allows for more than 68.7 million colors.

Also, it's also true that the vast majority of early adopters are probably going to be staring a hardware upgrade within their 4K displays for HDMI 2.0 be possible... with the exception of the few units that Sony - apparently - has sold that have the hardware on board allowing for a simple firmware update.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-17-13, 10:15 PM
Elite Shackster

I take it that hdmi 2.0 is only for 4k or Ultra HD.. If one doesn't plan on going to 4K or Ultra HD anytime soon, one doesn't have to worry about upgrading to hdmi 2.0, right?