Apple 4K Television a Future Reality? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 10-24-13, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Apple 4K Television a Future Reality?

Apple TV rumors have become somewhat boring. After all, we’ve been watching them trickle through news media outlets for several years. The infamous project’s flames were initially ignited when Steve Jobs hinted that he had an idea that would ideally marry a television product with the Mac world. And Apple has definitely done their fair share of hint dropping since, fanning the flames. Yet for all the talk and tech-site gossip, we’ve seen very little evidence that Apple is actual moving closer to launching a TV product.

This week jettisoned the so called Apple Fanboys into the stratosphere with several new Apple offerings. The most outstanding of the bunch is the incredibly cool iPad Air, followed by the official release of Apple’s new operating system dubbed Mavericks. Yet no mention or hint of a device to hang on your wall. Or was there?

Several days ago Bloomberg News published a brief article that is sure to re-ignite the Apple TV banter. According to Bloomberg, an analyst by the name of Masahiko Ishino from Advanced Research spends his time tracking rumblings in the tech-world rumor mill. He told Bloomberg that unnamed sources have indicated that Apple is currently zeroing-in on Apple TV specifications meant for a late 2014 product release. The all important design factor is said to include an Apple-like “frameless design” paired with 4K Ultra-HD capability in 55 and 65-inch designs.

Ishino went on to further suggest that LG (which supplies 70% of the world’s liquid crystal displays) would provide Apple with the displays. He also said that Samsung would likely provide graphic processing chips with Corning providing Gorilla Glass 3. Manufacturing would take place at Taiwan’s Foxconn plant. What is most surprising is Ishino’s suggestion that Apple may bring the displays to market for the low price of $1,500-$2,500. Are you re-reading that? Yes, shockingly low. Especially considering that most 4K displays are currently selling for nearly quadruple those estimates.

Cue the mass hysteria; this is the first real indication that Apple is closing in on an actual Television Display product...and at a very uncharacteristically low Apple price point. Of course rumors and speculation often end-up being just that. While Ishino’s product specs and suppliers seem perfectly plausible, the price point is hardly believable. Anyone that has purchased an Apple product in the last decade knows there’s a premium attached to the name. Perhaps Apple has plans to sell device software and streaming services that would balance-out the low cost of the display, making the product more of a foot-in-the-door maneuver meant to open up other avenues to consumers’ pockets?

Stay tuned. The rumor mill is sure to begin spinning as we get closer to 2014.

Image Credit: Selena at HDwallpaperfans.com
Source: Bloomberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-24-13, 10:52 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Apple 4K Television a Future Reality?

While it is interesting to read about Apple potentially entering the TV business with their iTV, I think it is kind of too late for them. The TV arena is highly competitive and we see big companies such as Panasonic and others leave different TV platforms (plasma) due to the competitive pricing and demand. Samsung is the world leader in LED/LCD tv's. Samsung also has voice recognition, hand gestures, and the most apps for a smart tv.

Granted there will be some Apple Fans who will buy it only because it is Apple but will they (Apple) make money with an iTV? Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-24-13, 10:57 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Agree ^^
The "iTV" will have to be something really special if they want to get into the mass market. 4k as it is is going to be a tough sell given there still is no media for it and smaller displays don't give any advantage over what we have now.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 16 Old 10-24-13, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

While I agree with both of your sentiments... don't forget: This is Apple. They took an iPod touch, made it bigger and have sold 170 million of them.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-24-13, 12:57 PM
Elite Shackster

I agree with you Tony. To me Samsung is the innovator here in the tv arena.

They have the "smart" features you would have thought Apple would have introduced years ago!

What can Apple do now to say, look at me??

It will be a hard push with or without 4k which by the way, other brands have as well.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-24-13, 12:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
While I agree with both of your sentiments... don't forget: This is Apple. They took an iPod touch, made it bigger and have sold 170 million of them.
I also agree with you Todd. With Apple, you just never know what to expect. But really, they have to throw in the kitchen sink and then some to really outshine the other brands who have been providing innovative functionality to their "smart" tv lineup .. Will be interesting to see.

Either it will be a hit or it will be a flop..
post #7 of 16 Old 10-25-13, 08:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

I'd be much happier if they simply added Amazon streaming service to the existing Apple TV.

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-25-13, 04:54 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

If the panel manufacturers can't figure out a way to sell a 60" 4k display for $1500 for themselves why would anyone think they would make one for Apple to sell for that price ?
Anytime Apple alludes to the Apple TV it's a very good way to get free airtime for the Apple brand.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-28-13, 02:33 AM
Shackster

If I can get a 4K display for $1500-2500, I will snatch one up. Even if it has the Apple logo on it...
post #10 of 16 Old 10-28-13, 05:44 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Whimsic wrote: View Post
If I can get a 4K display for $1500-2500, I will snatch one up. Even if it has the Apple logo on it...
If you just want a low priced 4K tv, you can get one now. They are currently available.

Seiki SE50UY04 - 50" LED TV - 4K UHDTV (2160p) for $1,300 from sears

Right now, till the units get hdmi 2.0 and the fps higher, not really worth it in my opinion.