Anthem Releases Three New A/V Receivers - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 32 Old 11-12-13, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Anthem Releases Three New A/V Receivers

Earlier this month Anthem, maker of a wide range of audio products, officially released three new High-End multichannel A/V Receivers dubbed as “Generation 2” or “Gen 2” of their MRX series. Initially announced at CEDIA 2013 in Denver, the receivers are currently shipping and available now. The three new models are the MRX 310, MRX 510, and MRX 710.

Cool Power
The MXR 310 delivers 80 watts per channel (2 channel) and 60 WPC (5 channels driven). The 510 and 710 are both capable of driving 7 channels, featuring 100 WPC and 120 WPC (2 channel) and 75 WPC and 95 WPC (5 channel), respectively. Anthem does not provide specification ratings in product press releases or the user manual for the 510 and 710 when driving 7 channels of audio.

Anthem is touting the GEN 2’s Advanced Load Monitoring system as crucial to “keeping an eye” on output through monitoring voltage and current to keep output transistors within their intended operating zones. A unique heat sink tunnel using a three-speed fan (activated by various thresholds of volume) helps to maintain unit coolness during operation; fan noise (which is tied directly to higher temperature due to louder volumes) shouldn’t be an issue. These two technologies, says Anthem, allow the MRX series amplifiers to perform for long periods of time under volume-intensive situations.

New Room Correction
One of the more intriguing new features of the GEN 2 MRX series amplifiers is an enhanced version of Anthem Room Correction (ARC). ARC 1M, as it is called, connects via ethernet and offers high levels of digital signal processing from multiple microphone measurement points. Correction can be applied to seven channels plus the subwoofer, with presets for music, movies, and other applications. The included software package (and microphone) allow for both automated and manual setup procedures along with printable before and after room response graphs.

Other Features
All three new models have carry-overs from GEN 1 models, including composite and component video conversion to HDMI, a 1080p24 mode, 3D support, TrueHD and DTS-HD Decoding, multiple Dolby, DTS, and AnthemLogic listening modes, analog video inputs (1 composite, 2 component), digital audio inputs (2 coax, 3 optical), and 5 stereo RCA inputs.

Anthem, however, touts changes to several features that are sure to draw some attention. On the HDMI front, the 510 and 710 both carry a total of seven rear-unit HDMI inputs (including one front-panel input and an HDMI Audio Return channel) and dual HDMI outputs. Anthem says their HDMI switching as been improved to be faster. The GEN 2 units also have 4K upscaling and pass-through. Owners will be able to install software updates via standard USB ports, and will appreciate the ability to set speaker crossover points in adjustable 10Hz increments. Music sourced through optical, coaxial, and analog inputs can be sent to a second zone.

Anthem has cleaned-up the aesthetics of the MXR series receivers with minimalist front panel design features and improved status displays that show larger (and easier to read) information.

Pricing has been kept relatively reasonable, with $400 increments between the three units (MRX 301: $1,199; MRX 510: $1,599; and, MRX 710: $1,999).

Image Credit: Anthem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 11-12-13, 03:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Re: Anthem Releases Three New A/V Receivers

I saw these and while pricey, look very nice. I've heard only excellent things about ARC and while the receivers use a less powerful version (from what I remember) its still a very good implementation. I've really considered looking at the 710 as my next receiver. Can't wait to hear what people think of them after they start hitting the streets!

Scott

I think about speakers for hours every day. I believe it is mental illness.
post #3 of 32 Old 11-12-13, 07:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
I agree they are stunning! Would prefer a $2000 AVR though to have 9.2 channels and 11.2 pre outs but it's not a deal breaker for me.
post #4 of 32 Old 11-12-13, 07:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
I agree they are stunning! Would prefer a $2000 AVR though to have 9.2 channels and 11.2 pre outs but it's not a deal breaker for me.
Yeah definitely not a deal breaker for me either seeing as how I've only had 7.2 once the looks on Anthem products are absolutely drool worthy too which doesn't hurt their appeal unless you want to buy the display one I've just been looking at haha!

Scott

post #5 of 32 Old 11-12-13, 08:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Yoda

My System

Very curious about ARC's new implementation in the new series. The bummer is that they've dropped the extra 2 channel and the pre outs for the 310 from the 300. Looks like I'll be keeping my 300

Still interested to hear about perceived differences between the old and the new MRX's ARC.
post #6 of 32 Old 11-12-13, 11:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
skeeter99 wrote: View Post
I saw these and while pricey, look very nice. I've heard only excellent things about ARC and while the receivers use a less powerful version (from what I remember) its still a very good implementation. I've really considered looking at the 710 as my next receiver. Can't wait to hear what people think of them after they start hitting the streets!

Scott
It is true that the first generation MRX used a less powerful version of ARC. The new one is supposed to have increased resolution but it is probably still not as powerful as the one in the preamps.

I hope that HTS can get one of these in for review (510 or 710). I plan on using the 510 for my (hopefully) upcoming change in my setup. I'm really looking forward to seeing how ARC sounds in my system.
post #7 of 32 Old 11-12-13, 11:51 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
It is true that the first generation MRX used a less powerful version of ARC. The new one is supposed to have increased resolution but it is probably still not as powerful as the one in the preamps. I hope that HTS can get one of these in for review (510 or 710). I plan on using the 510 for my (hopefully) upcoming change in my setup. I'm really looking forward to seeing how ARC sounds in my system.
I'll volunteer for reviewing Muahaha!

post #8 of 32 Old 11-12-13, 11:59 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Bah, why didn't I think of that . I think we will need a second opinion when you're done with it
post #9 of 32 Old 11-13-13, 12:30 AM
Senior Shackster
Sean

My System

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
It is for me. I was looking forward to the new iterations of Anthem's AVR's for quite some time - but couldn't believe it when the specs came out and there was no options for at least 9 channels - even on their top of the line 710. Although many won't ever go to 9 channels, and indeed the benefit of heights or wides are debatable, at that price point there should at least be the option. Adding to that gripe, is that although ARC is great - and I'm sure the new version of ARC is even better, it is to my knowledge still unable to eq dual subs. The X 4000 can support 9 channels and has XT32 with SUBEQ ( dual subs ) for MUCH less money, about 1100 new right now. In addition, it would have been a real coup for Anthem if they could have been the first to implement HDMI 2.0. As the higher specification is right around the corner, and their AVR's only update every few years, I think they should have waited until they could incorporate the newer version. Although I try hard as a Canadian to support my fellow Canadian ( and American for that matter ) manufacturers, I think Anthem dropped the ball on this one.
post #10 of 32 Old 11-13-13, 01:04 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

There is a possibility we can get one in here for a review, although it would help if we had and older one to compare it to. I am curious about their power capabilities and if they do any better at tested output vs rated output than other brands. Unfortunately we are not quite to a point of testing power output yet.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!