SVS Sound Announces Two New Subwoofers: SB-2000 and PB-2000 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
SVS Sound Announces Two New Subwoofers: SB-2000 and PB-2000

Internet-direct speaker manufacturer SVS Sound has been busy over the last year. Enthusiasts have long touted SVS subwoofers as top-of-the-list products, while their early speaker offerings also received attention as excellent mid-level options. The summer of 2013 marked a change for the company, as it officially released the Ultra Speaker series, a full lineup of tower, bookshelf, center, and surround channel speakers that have received acclaim and praise from buyers and the press. The company remains, however, best known for their beautifully crafted subs, previously consisting of three cylindrical models, three ported models, and two sealed models...with the ported PB-13-Ultra remaining king of the hill. SVS’s price points hit a sweet spot in the industry, ranging from $499 to $1999, which place their entry level models above what many would consider budget but not out of reach for those with a little wiggle room in their wallets.

Yesterday, SVS released a mysterious photo of boxy looking equipment shrouded by a white blanket with the only visible hint of electronics being two mysterious glowing blue lights. Today, the mystery was unveiled with SVS announcing two new subwoofers: the sealed SB-2000 and the ported PB-2000.

Both of these new subs fall into the mid-range price point of SVS’s model lineups. The PB-2000 is the more expensive of the two, coming in at $799 with free shipping (the SB-2000 is $699 with free shipping). SVS says the their goal with these newbies was to deliver “unprecedented levels of real-world output and sonic precision for the price.”

Not surprisingly, the PB-2000 and SB-2000 look very similar to other SVS designs. Their exteriors are smooth and slick with radius corners and rounded protective black metal grills. Finish wise, they are offered with SVS’s standard black grain vinyl finish.

The PB-2000 is a fairly substantial speaker, weighing in it at 66 pounds (20.9"H x 17.3"W x 22"D). It features an all-new 12-inch high output driver mated to a 500W Sledge amplifier (1100W peak). The driver has a heavy-duty voice coil, upgraded suspension for better linear control, and a lightweight aluminum cone for efficiency. It’s rear plate contains a power switch (including an auto stand-by option), gain, 180-degree phase control, low pass filter control, and left/right line level inputs and output jacks. The PB-2000 also features a 4-inch front port. SVS says the speaker has a frequency response of 17-260HZ +/-3 dB.

The SB-2000, SVS’s third sealed box model, weighs nearly half of the PB-2000 and is quite a bit smaller (34 pounds, 14.2"H x 14.2"W x 14.2"D). It features the same 12-inch driver and Sledge amp loaded on its PB-2000 brethren, minus a port. It’s rear plate also features the same controls and inputs. The SB-2000’s frequency response is tagged at 19-220Hz +/- 3 dB.

Both subs are available for order today direct from SVS Sound with delivery by mid-January. Like all SVS products, they come with a 45-day no hassle free-shipping return policy.

Image Credit: SVS Sound

EDIT:

Here are the frequency response graphs for the SB and PB-2000 subs as measured by SVS:

SB-2000

PB-2000

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 01-10-14 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 11:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
I was wondering what the specs were gonna be on these two new offerings. Pretty impressive!
post #3 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 11:13 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System
Re: SVS Sound Announces Two New Subwoofers

I was hoping for a 15" cylinder...
post #4 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 11:16 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
I was hoping for a 15" cylinder...
a 15" anything would be great from SVS lol.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 01:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Re: SVS Sound Announces Two New Subwoofers: SB-2000 and PB-2000

Very nice, great price point too. Not too pricey, not too huge. SVS is a great company, I have a lot of respect for them. I really liked their M-Series (I believe it was) Towers/Center/Bookshelves. Very nice looking and very sweet sounding.

Scott

I think about speakers for hours every day. I believe it is mental illness.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Not ready to pull the trigger on a new sub for the still under construction home theater but the PB 2000 looks to be very high on my list right now.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 02:30 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

The SB-2000 looks to be a much more capable unit than the SB12-NSD it's replacing. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the black ash look though.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 06:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Quote:
gorb wrote: View Post
The SB-2000 looks to be a much more capable unit than the SB12-NSD it's replacing. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the black ash look though.
A nice satin black would look much better for sure. I don't think the black ash is bad but it's very much standard fare.

I think about speakers for hours every day. I believe it is mental illness.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-07-14, 07:12 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Now i wish i had waited on the two PB12-NSD subs when they were on Black Friday Special and picked up two PB-2000 subs....

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #10 of 31 Old 01-08-14, 04:16 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I ordered the PB2000 yesterday Two weeks till it ships though