Vizio Will Release a Reference Line of UHD-TVs, Kicks 3D to the Curb - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 16 Old 01-21-14, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Vizio Will Release a Reference Line of UHD-TVs, Kicks 3D to the Curb

Vizio is making a move.

The long time manufacturer of solid Hi-Def televisions traditionally offered at reasonable prices recently revealed they are shedding some weight for their Ultra Hi-Def (UHD) lines while taking a crack at the high end market. Interestingly (but, perhaps, not surprisingly) Vizio’s weight loss will come at the expense of the industry’s old darling: 3D; they are abandoning support of 3D for their 2014 UHD model year. For those of you that have been following tech news, that announcement probably isn’t a huge shock. 3D is exiting stage right as UHD is being ushered in as the new star of the show. Vizio is going to stick with LCD technology; they ditched plasma technology almost 4 years ago and haven’t given any indications they’re making a run at OLED this year.

Earlier this month, Vizio unveiled their plans for a four pronged attack of stylish and good looking display lineups; here’s a quick preview from the top down. The top-of-the-line UHD “Reference Series” will be available in a range of sizes up to...(are you sitting down?) a whopping 120-inches. The entire series is built around a V6 processor that features a quad-core graphics processing unit, a dual core central processor, and other built in technologies that can process over 1 billion pixels per second and upscale 1080p content. The displays feature 800 nit ultra bright backlighting and 384 active LED zones with specialized pixel tuning for contrast control and deep black levels. Throw-in 10-bit color, the ability to auto adjust for frame rates (films can be watched in native 24fps), a 120 frame per second mode for gaming, and a built-in 5.1 sound bar with a wireless sub...and it is looking like Vizio is swinging for the fences. Vizio hasn’t released any pricing information on the Reference Series, but likely will by March.

Vizio’s next lineup of UHD televisions is dubbed the “P-Series.” It features 50, 55, 60, 65, and 70-inch screen sizes. Obviously, the P-Series is lacking some of the larger sizes we’re likely guaranteed to see in the Reference Series. It’s also lacking the Reference Series’ integrated soundbar and subwoofer. The P-series also has fewer active LED zones, with only 64 (however, Vizio says the contrast ratio will still land in the 50 million to 1 range). Many of the other features, such as the processors, adjustable frame rates, 120fps gaming rate, are the same. The best feature of the P-Series is it’s MSRP pricing (perhaps “P” stands for pricing?), which starts at $999 for the 50-inch set and ranging to $2,600 for the 70-inch set. Vizio hasn’t released availability information yet.

Vizio is offering two lines of standard HDTVs: the M-Series and E-Series. Styling-wise, the P and M series share similar characteristics with rounded edges and slick rectangular stands (the P -Series has a black bezel while the M-Series is silver). While attractive, the E-Series is less edgy and aggressive. The M-series features larger screen sizes from 50 to 80-inches while the E-Series tops-out at 70-inches. Spec-wise, the M-series is more attractive, sporting 32 Active LED backlighting zones, active pixel tuning, a 10:000:1 contrast ratio, 4 HDMI ports, a faster (240Hz) refresh rate, built-in wireless streaming capabilities, and 3D capabilities. Pricing for the M-Series ranges from $799 (50-inches) to $3,999 (80-inches) while the E-Series goes from $679 (50-inches) to $1,699 (70-inches). These sets are available for purchase now.

Image Credit: Vizio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-22-14, 08:22 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Re: Vizio Will Release a Reference Line of UHD-TVs, Kicks 3D to the Curb

Good to see them beginning to ditch 3D! I have watched many 3D movies both in people's theaters and at the theaters (most recent was Hobbit 2 in Imax 3D) and have yet to be impressed. The 3D glasses take the luster out of the pictures and are annoying. Give me a solid, bright, vivid 2D picture any day over 3D.

It'll be interesting to see how these new Visio UHD's stack up against the likes of Samsung and Panasonic both in price and quality. Great time to be looking for a new TV this year

Oh, and that Visio in the picture looks very nice!

I think about speakers for hours every day. I believe it is mental illness.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-22-14, 09:15 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Interesting that they are not supporting 3D in this set, at this point I can't imagine that the technology really adds any significant cost to the set but not having it might turn off the people that already have a considerable library of 3D movies.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-22-14, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
skeeter99 wrote: View Post
Good to see them beginning to ditch 3D! I have watched many 3D movies both in people's theaters and at the theaters (most recent was Hobbit 2 in Imax 3D) and have yet to be impressed. The 3D glasses take the luster out of the pictures and are annoying. Give me a solid, bright, vivid 2D picture any day over 3D.

It'll be interesting to see how these new Visio UHD's stack up against the likes of Samsung and Panasonic both in price and quality. Great time to be looking for a new TV this year

Oh, and that Visio in the picture looks very nice!
The pictured set is one of their Reference displays... they are definitely VERY attractive looking sets. The P-series has a more rectangular base and a slightly different color scheme.

I happen to agree with your assessment of 3D, although I'm guessing that we'll see it return in a few years once 4K is sorted out and the industry is looking to add more selling points.

Good luck in your display search... many of these displays will be hitting the market in March/April. Just enough time to give you plenty of time to do your research!
post #5 of 16 Old 01-22-14, 10:08 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
The pictured set is one of their Reference displays... they are definitely VERY attractive looking sets. The P-series has a more rectangular base and a slightly different color scheme.

I happen to agree with your assessment of 3D, although I'm guessing that we'll see it return in a few years once 4K is sorted out and the industry is looking to add more selling points.

Good luck in your display search... many of these displays will be hitting the market in March/April. Just enough time to give you plenty of time to do your research!
I agree, specifically about 3D coming back for marketing/$$$ reasons. They've hyped the technology but it really doesn't add anything to the film and becomes more of a distraction. But that's probably getting OT too much

I'll definitely be taking a look at these and the other UHD's this year, looking to go 70-80" in the basement where this would go.

I think about speakers for hours every day. I believe it is mental illness.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-22-14, 02:44 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Keep up the good work UHD TV product companies! The more you make, the larger you make, the sooner 4K projector prices will fall to a reasonable price.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #7 of 16 Old 01-22-14, 02:58 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I don't particularly care about 3D and am not even sure if I own any 3d blurays...but the pricing of the "P" series displays is very attractive. Hopefully other manufacturers bring their prices down too, even though I am not opposed to buying a Vizio
post #8 of 16 Old 01-22-14, 03:02 PM
Elite Shackster

I would be interested in the reviews once this unit is available for the public.

Main:
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Wii U Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub

equipment pics.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-22-14, 09:24 PM
Shackster

The 120hz for gaming is interesting I guess that's mostly for people hoooking up there pc or the new steam machines would be perfect if you splurge for some huge graphics cards. I believe the xbox one and ps4 limit there games to 60hz and some of them actually still run at 30hz that are more graphic intensive. Once they get used to the hardware they can hopefully squeeze more out of it cause a 30hz shooter can be pretty noticeable.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 06:15 PM
Shackster
Shanty

My System

Did it not present at the show that they had some awesome OLED I saw on the wall, like 33K or was that another company. Confused now. I almost did plop down, not yet in my listing of the 80" Visio, but like most, we have a pass down for new every two years and I will just steal a 65 from the living room now. Save for the UHD myself.