Early Year Wrap-Up: Netflix News - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 02-06-14, 10:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
yluko wrote: View Post
The ones you rent/buy from apple do they download first before you watch them instead of streaming or at least have you download a chunk first? Thought that might contribute to the better quality maybe. netflix is supposed to adapt its quality to your internet connection speeds. I have noticed at different places like at a friends or my mom which has a slower connection the quality decreases.
There is a slight delay with a loading image for 2-5 Seconds before the movie starts but it definitely does not download the whole movie. Then again my download speeds are 50mbps so it happens pretty fast and I don't know how much it does in fact download before it plays. You have a good point though cause I'm sure netflix quality is dictated by the download speeds in order to play instantly where as with AppleTv, if your speeds are slow, it might have a longer delay before you can watch a movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 02-07-14, 12:05 PM
Shackster

Re: Early Year Wrap-Up: Netflix News

I have Netflix and my ISP is Verizon FIOS. I had the base tier FIOS which is 15/5 Mbps. I was noticing that most of the Netflix streams seemed to be rather low quality. I call Netflix tech support and they checked and indicated that the average streaming speed was less than 1 Mbps. Of course they pointed to Verizon. I call Verizon and they pointed to Netflix.

I ran several speed tests off the internet and it seemed like I was getting the speeds I should have been getting. Verizon was offering a promotion one month free upgrade to 50/25 Mbps. I tried that for about three weeks with little change in quality or streaming speeds. So I went back to my old 15/5 Mbps service.

I talked with a Netflix tech guy about this and he stated that ISPs optimize their equipment and setup for the various internet speed tests. That way a subscriber can't complain about the service. I work for an IT related company, so one Sunday when no one was on the company servers, I downloaded a large file from the company server. Guess what? Less than 4 Mbps average download speed. So I am going to say that my ISP does not have the backbone infrastructure to support the service I am purchasing.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-07-14, 04:49 PM
Shackster

That is really of your ISP. I got fios over comcast cable at my old place. It was so much more reliable we had so much horrible with comcast. I had to call there tech support a few times and they had to come out a few times. Loved the fios but didn't notice a huge difference but it was notable we had the base 15/5 package.

Now I live in an apartment building and comcast is the only option. I pay for the 5 connection which they recommend for netflix streaming. It's not horrible but sometimes you can tell some frames don't seem that good of quality in bits for some reason then it becomes clearer again. Comparing it to the dvds in the mail though you notice qite a difference. It's like comparing cd quality to mp3 quality you loose something along the way. So for action films like star trek or transformers I get the dvd's. For comedies or most other things I just stream it.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-07-14, 09:11 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

here in Wyoming we have mediastream 25mb and during the day Netflix works great but when it's late in the evening not so much we get dropouts and the pitcher gets granny , it gets bottlenecked from all of my Neighbors getting online and there kids gaming I'm thinking. I too tried calling Netfix and mediastream and they just blame each other for my troubles
post #15 of 16 Old 02-08-14, 10:38 AM
Senior Shackster
Jeff Grucella

My System

I also have to mention since the overturning of Net Neutrality rules my Netflix streaming has gotten worse and it so happens that my IPS is through my cable company , I find this interesting but it could be just coincidence
post #16 of 16 Old 02-10-14, 12:39 PM
Shackster

Jim

My System

The 4K stream sounds exciting. I saw the 4K (OTA) broadcast at CES and it looked great.