Roku Rocks HDMI With Its New Compact Dongle - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 25 Old 03-11-14, 10:41 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Roku Rocks HDMI With Its New Compact Dongle

Quote:
tripplej wrote: View Post
I did some more research, from the roku website, I found that the stick has two connectors.

one is for hdmi
one is for power which goes to a powered usb or an electrical outlet

However, for certain manufacturers such as Oppo, the 103 model has the option to use MHL port for power and hdmi connection. See link here. Will look into this more.
Yes but only the front HDMI port on the Oppo supports MHL which means that the dongle would have to stick out of the front of the player all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 03-11-14, 11:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Thanks for the details. I am not worried about the "look" since my oppo is out of sight so to speak.
No issues with that dongle hanging outside the oppo. My main concern was the power connection. If the MHL port for the dongle can be used to power the unit as well, that would be best for me. Connecting to a power outlet would be more of an issue for me. Let me look further. thanks.

Main:
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Wii U Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub

equipment pics.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-11-14, 01:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
post #14 of 25 Old 03-11-14, 02:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Kind a looks like my Chromecast.
You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I am sure after chromecast became popular, all the other "smart" app companies decided to get into the action..

Main:
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Wii U Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub

equipment pics.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-11-14, 04:09 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Thanks for the preview. I recently cut cable so I'll be deciding between this, the Chromecast, or the Roku 3. I'm leaning toward the Roku 3 for the faster processor and the fact that I plug everything through my receiver anyway, so the small size isn't an issue.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-11-14, 06:10 PM
Shackster

Quote:
typ44q wrote: View Post
Yes but only the front HDMI port on the Oppo supports MHL which means that the dongle would have to stick out of the front of the player all the time.
Did not know that part. Thanks for posting.
post #17 of 25 Old 03-12-14, 11:52 AM
Shackster

Brant

I have been looking at this, I have oppo 103 player and this might be my next purchase. I have been worried about access to content living in Canada. I think I will pull the trigger and try it out for myself. thank for the great info. Cheers
post #18 of 25 Old 03-12-14, 02:18 PM
HTS Reviewer

This streaming stick was available from OPPO (out of stock now) not long after I did my review of the BDP-103 here (see the 2nd post). Maybe this is a newer version? Assuming it works the same as the one I reviewed, all you have to do is plug it into the MHL port on the front of the BDP-103.

edit: it looks like the original version only worked with MHL ports, whereas this new one can work with a standard HDMI port (if also connected to a powered USB port). The original one did not come with a remote either.
post #19 of 25 Old 03-12-14, 07:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
edit: it looks like the original version only worked with MHL ports, whereas this new one can work with a standard HDMI port (if also connected to a powered USB port). The original one did not come with a remote either.
Thanks for the clarification. Question. Do you know if the oppo has a powered USB port? It would be nice to not have the unit plugged into an electrical outlet especially if one free electrical slot is not available.

Main:

equipment pics.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-12-14, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post

Correct!