Pioneer’s New Receivers Offer HDMI 2.0 and MCACC with Subwoofer EQ (VSX-1124 and VSX-80) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 03:40 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Pioneer’s New Receivers Offer HDMI 2.0 and MCACC with Subwoofer EQ (VSX-1124 and VSX-80)

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Finalized a mere 6 months ago, version 2.0 of the HDMI specification provides users with a much larger signal bandwidth (up to 18Gbps) and support of 4K Ultra High Def signals in 4:4:4 color. That means Pioneer’s new AVRs are truly 4K ready, offering potential buyers the all-important “future proof” safety net that’s incredibly desirable when paying big money for equipment.
Here's what the Pio website says about HDMI 2.0
Quote:
Offering 7 HDMI 2.0 inputs, the VSX-1124-K handles 4K2K Ultra HD video at 60 frames per seconds. 4K Ultra HD is the latest high-definition video display format, with four times the resolution of 1080p. Ready to deliver 4K Ultra HD video signals to a compatible display, the Pioneer VSX-1124 supports home theater systems dedicated to producing the highest quality picture available today. HDMI 2.0 is also backwards compatible with earlier versions of HDMI. A future firmware update will allow 4:4:4 based 4K2K60P content to be handled offering up to 18GBPS throughput.
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
New for 2014, the VSX-80 and VSX-1124 finally deliver, offering subwoofer equalization. This feature uses four different frequency parameters and an extremely low-latency DSP to reduce phase and timing errors in low frequency playback.
This is what Subwoofer EQ looks like:

There are another two waves of receivers coming, one in mid-summer (June/July) and the other in late summer (CEDIA). The flagship models will be announced last.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 04:19 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Pioneer’s New Receivers Offer HDMI 2.0 and MCACC with Subwoofer EQ (VSX-1124 and VSX-80)

So what pioneer should have stated is, "Offers 7 HDMI 1.4 inputs future firmware upgradeable to HDMI 2.0"

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #13 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 05:34 PM
Shackster

Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
So what pioneer should have stated is, "Offers 7 HDMI 1.4 inputs future firmware upgradeable to HDMI 2.0"
Right. Of course, it doesn't quite sound as awesome.....but at least it's honest.

We all find what we're looking for, whether we know it or not.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 09:17 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
GCG wrote: View Post
Yeah, I JUST (within a month) bought a SC-71. But looking at the specs - NO 4 ohm support (need it) and not the D3 amps (like it). Got the sub on a MiniDSP so I probably have more eq options (biquads : hi-pass : shelf filters) and more available bands, so no tears ... yet.
I would like to know what kind do EQ options does the miniDSP offers? I've got a calibrated UMM-6 mic, and a RadioShack SPL meter.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 11:03 PM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Quote:
GusGus748s wrote: View Post
I would like to know what kind do EQ options does the miniDSP offers? I've got a calibrated UMM-6 mic, and a RadioShack SPL meter.
Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
This is what Subwoofer EQ looks like:

Better that that.

I'm using the 2x4 (2 in, 4 out) with the 4-way advanced plug-in. With that plug-in only one of the inputs is used and I only use one output. On the input side I have access to 6 bands of EQ with a choice of PEQ, Low shelf, and High shelf in a basic mode. Alternately there is an advanced mode that can be selected on a per band basis providing bi-quad capability. On the output side each output channel has the same six bands with the same offerings. Between the two each channel has one each High-pass and Low-pass filters fully freq selectable with roll off profiles matching Butterworth 6-48Db (6 Db steps), Linkwitz Riley 12, 24,and 48Db, and Bessel. Both the inputs and outputs have Gain with Mute and the outputs have time delay 0-7.5ms and Polarity Inverters. The unbalanced takes either 0.9Vrms max or 2.0Vrms max (jumper selected) and outputs 0.9Vrms max. The balanced variant has the same input capabilities but outputs 2.0Vrms max.

I'm currently using one of the input EQ bands to implement a biquad Linkwitz Transform to stretch my low end and four bands in the output for sub EQ. I have an occasional little low freq flutter that has been suggested may be an over excursion issue so I may program in a few more Linkwitz Transform configurations that aren't quite as aggressive to try out. Oh, I didn't mention that all of the EQ and Band-pass filter bands can be independently bypassed. And although I haven't tested it, I believe everything can be changed on the fly from the laptop.

What more could you want for $135?

7.1 System
Fronts - Infinity RSb (circa 1978)
Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds - Definitive Technology UIW 63/A (in ceiling)
Rears - Definitive Technology UIW 63/A (in ceiling)
Sub - Dayton Audio/Parts Express 15" Titanic Mk III kit
AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-71
Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #16 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 11:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
GCG wrote: View Post
Better than that.
Anything is better than that: 4 fixed bands of graphic EQ, with only 2 of those below the common crossover frequency of 80Hz. I mean, is a 250Hz slider really going to be helpful for EQing a subwoofer? In fact, I would have preferred one band of PEQ to take down the single largest peak in the subwoofer range.

Sanjay
post #17 of 19 Old 03-19-14, 09:27 AM

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Anything is better than that: 4 fixed bands of graphic EQ, with only 2 of those below the common crossover frequency of 80Hz. I mean, is a 250Hz slider really going to be helpful for EQing a subwoofer? In fact, I would have preferred one band of PEQ to take down the single largest peak in the subwoofer range.

+1

Also would have liked a band at 20hz as more subs are becoming capable of that output.

It only took Pioneer a decade to figure out they needed subeq. This welcomed for sure.

I think i will stick with Audyssey XT32 for now. I hope the upper end Pioneers have more subeq options.

This is what steered me away from Pioneer when i was buying my receiver last year.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-19-14, 09:51 AM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

I had a chance to work on the sub this last weekend. I can verify now that the MiniDSP is an On-the-Fly unit. Very easy to tweak in. I ended up leaving the Linkwitz Transform as-is and added a 18 Hz Butterworth 8th order HP which cleared the low end flutter with a slight sacrifice to extension. The plate amp already had a 3rd order HP at 18 Hz but the Linkwitz compromised that.

I have to say that, with the MiniDSP at this price point, the meager sub EQ options offered by Pioneer hold no attraction for me at all.

7.1 System
Fronts - Infinity RSb (circa 1978)
Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds - Definitive Technology UIW 63/A (in ceiling)
Rears - Definitive Technology UIW 63/A (in ceiling)
Sub - Dayton Audio/Parts Express 15" Titanic Mk III kit
AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-71
Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #19 of 19 Old 04-15-14, 10:31 AM
Shackster

The Mini DSP is a great unit but I encourage the direction of expanded tuning capabilities always. It takes baby steps for these large companies to see and answer the needs of the masses even before they realize they need it or know how to use it.