Pioneer’s New Receivers Offer HDMI 2.0 and MCACC with Subwoofer EQ (VSX-1124 and VSX-80) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 03-12-14, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Pioneer’s New Receivers Offer HDMI 2.0 and MCACC with Subwoofer EQ (VSX-1124 and VSX-80)

Many weeks ago Emotiva was poised to become the first manufacturer to release an audio product featuring HDMI 2.0, claiming it had been incorporated into their highly anticipated XMC-1 – the company subsequently retracted their claim. Ready for round two? Today, Pioneer announced they will be the first King of the HDMI Hill, releasing five new AV Receivers all rigged with HDMI 2.0 capability. One can only imagine that Pioneer is giddy about being the first to market, and rightly so. Finalized a mere 6 months ago, version 2.0 of the HDMI specification provides users with a much larger signal bandwidth (up to 18Gbps) and support of 4K Ultra High Def signals in 4:4:4 color. That means Pioneer’s new AVRs are truly 4K ready, offering potential buyers the all-important “future proof” safety net that’s incredibly desirable when paying big money for equipment.

“We’re incorporating the latest technologies in our products, like HDMI 2.0, so consumers are always prepared for the next big buzz in home video entertainment,” says Chris Walker of Pioneer Electronics (USA). “The new HDMI format is a new spec that passes high frame rate, high resolution video playable on 4K televisions, and we’re ready for it with these new receivers.”

Pioneer says its five new receivers are composed of three Pioneer-branded receivers (VSX-824 5.2 channels and VSX-1024 and VSX-1124 7.2 channels) and two Elite-Branded receivers (VSX-44 and VSX 80 7.2 channels), all carrying tempting features. Topping the list (outside of HDMI 2.0) is a new version of the company’s popular proprietary Advanced MCACC room correction technology. The lack of subwoofer EQ on previous versions of MCACC has been a point of contention among enthusiasts, with many arguing that its exclusion makes the suite inferior to other options. New for 2014, the VSX-80 and VSX-1124 finally deliver, offering subwoofer equalization. This feature uses four different frequency parameters and an extremely low-latency DSP to reduce phase and timing errors in low frequency playback.

The Elite VSX 80 and Pioneer VSX-1124 have a few other unique features, including an ESS SABRE Premier Audio DAC and multichannel high resolution playback (supporting 96kHz 24-Bit 5.0 and 5.1 FLAC and WAV files along with the typical cast of high-res music files). Pioneer says the units can perform gapless playback of most high-res audio files and that MCACC room calibration can be engaged during high-res audio playback. Keeping in line with high-resolution, both units are also capable of up-converting low resolution video signals to 4K.

All five models will be shipped “Roku Ready Certified,” meaning that they each have a built-in MHL connection on the rear panel for simple plug-and-play use with a Roku media stick. If you’ve been following recent Home Theater Shack news, you’ll know this means potential access to more than 1,000 channels of video entertainment. Each receiver also provides onboard access to music services, including Spotify, Panadora, and vTuner. Pioneer also will re-offer iPhone streaming support, along with the “HTC Connect” standard. Owners with compatible HTC One smartphones will can wirelessly enjoy high quality music files shared between their phone and a receiver.

The receivers are all powered by Pioneer’s Class D amplification sections. The VSX-824 has the lowest power offerings (80W X 5 channels) while the VSX-80 and VSX-1124 offer the highest (90W X 7 channels).

The new Pioneer and Elite receivers will be available at the end of March with suggested retail prices of $399 (VSX-824), $499 (VSX-1024), $500 (VSX-44), $599 (VSX-124), and $700 (VSX-80).

Image Credit: Pioneer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-12-14, 09:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Those prices are excellent! Wondering if they'll be releasing new SC series AVRs soon too but curious what they can offer above these in the higher line... Interesting. I might just have to jump to an Elite like I had planned before buying my NR515.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-12-14, 10:52 PM
Shackster
Steve

Re: Pioneer’s New Receivers Offer HDMI 2.0 and MCACC with Subwoofer EQ (VSX-1124 and VSX-80)

Wow-those are good prices! Just got a good deal on NR626 but this may turn out to be better yet. What the hell is Denon up to -I should check!
post #4 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 01:16 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Pioneer’s New Receivers Offer HDMI 2.0 and MCACC with Subwoofer EQ (VSX-1124 and VSX-80)

I am thinking of placing my SC-1522-K on sale now.
post #5 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 08:26 AM
Shackster

I listened to an interview with one of the reps for HDMI who said they're trying to discourage manufacturers from using the phrase HDMI 2.0 in their literature. HDMI 2.0 isn't really a blanket spec like 1.3 or 1.4; it's more of a set list of features. They're trying to get manufacturers to instead list associated features. That's probably why Emotiva backed out of using the phrase 2.0. I imagine that unless those Pioneer models include every feature available to the 2.0 spec, they'll drop it before release as well.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Utopianemo wrote: View Post
That's probably why Emotiva backed out of using the phrase 2.0.
This is correct.

As for Pioneer... I'm not sure if they'll change their labeling.
post #7 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 01:26 PM
GCG
Senior Shackster

Patrick

My System

Quote:
GusGus748s wrote: View Post
I am thinking of placing my SC-1522-K on sale now.
Yeah, I JUST (within a month) bought a SC-71. But looking at the specs - NO 4 ohm support (need it) and not the D3 amps (like it). Got the sub on a MiniDSP so I probably have more eq options (biquads : hi-pass : shelf filters) and more available bands, so no tears ... yet.

7.1 System
Fronts - Infinity RSb (circa 1978)
Center - Infinity Video 1
Surrounds - Definitive Technology UIW 63/A (in ceiling)
Rears - Definitive Technology UIW 63/A (in ceiling)
Sub - Dayton Audio/Parts Express 15" Titanic Mk III kit
AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-71
Content source - WDTV Live Hub Media Server
post #8 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 02:36 PM
Shackster

It's interesting that Pioneer isn't updating their whole line with HDMI 2.0 capability. I was set on getting the Elite SC-75, but now maybe I'll wait and see.

We all find what we're looking for, whether we know it or not.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 02:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

The fact that none offer a full set of pre-outs (only front L&R and 2 sub outs) is a little disheartening. Given the fact that the Amp section is not the more robust D3 design (and just a A/B class topology of sorts) I am obliged to look elsewhere. The rest of the details are promising, especially the fact they finally address the subwoofer in their MCACC. Ditto on the HDMI 2.0 naming.

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-13-14, 03:11 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Until official specs have been released for HDMI 2.0 certification. I find it disheartening and offensive that manufacturers would be even mentioning it in their product descriptions.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html