Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 77 Old 03-26-14, 08:11 AM
Shackster

Re: Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0

Licensing fees have become increasingly burdensome for electronics maufacturers with thin margins, and it is not a surprise that Onkyo has chosen to sacrifice Audyssey 2EQ in its lower cost receivers. Many, perhaps most, consumers will not even notice the change, and it is unlikely that it will cost Onkyo many sales. The Cirrus room correction solution may be more rudimentary than any of the Audyssey offering, but it may still perform adequately, particularly if equalization is applied to the subwoofer channel. Prudence suggests that it would be best to defer judgement until after seeing the actual results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 Old 03-26-14, 08:25 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System
Re: Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0

Well it appears that the dual engine DSP "upgrade" is to handle the Cirrus room equalization. Lets hope it is applied properly, is effective; oh and it would be great if it handles the sub region(s) too! Given the fact that Audyssey and most competitor's room correction methods only handle subwoofer calibration in the highest offerings I wouldn't hold my breath for that last part.

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #13 of 77 Old 03-26-14, 09:10 AM
HTS Reviewer

The outgoing versions of these AVRs (NR525 and NR626) use basic MultEQ, which is also pretty barebones. Perhaps AccuEQ has a chance at being competitive in these entry level models. Still an interesting move by Onkyo, considering the success they have had with Audyssey-equipped receivers. It will be interesting to see what happens to their higher end models. I never got around to my planned AVR upgrade in 2013, so I'm holding out for the 929's replacement.
post #14 of 77 Old 03-26-14, 10:10 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Bare bones indeed; not even close to what Audyssey does.

Brief overview here: http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proBulletin/IRC_PB.pdf
I know that "past performance cannot guarantee future results" but every prepro that I have reviewed that relied on the Cirrus EQ gave disappointing results in one way or the other.

Kal Rubinson
post #15 of 77 Old 03-26-14, 11:17 AM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Bare bones indeed; not even close to what Audyssey does.

Brief overview here: http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proBulletin/IRC_PB.pdf
From the article heading, "IRC Performance Charts", it seems IRC doesn't take subwoofers into consideration.

Maybe this issue will be addressed in the yet to be released units.

(how can a manufacture not EQ subwoofers?)

Did I miss something?
post #16 of 77 Old 03-26-14, 11:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
I know that "past performance cannot guarantee future results" but every prepro that I have reviewed that relied on the Cirrus EQ gave disappointing results in one way or the other.
If Cirrus hasn't changed their EQ, then your past experience remains a valid indicator of what the room correction on these two Onkyos will sound like.

BTW, rumor has it that Krell is using the room correction built into the decoder chip. Is that true? If so, is it the Cirrus room correction?

Sanjay
post #17 of 77 Old 03-27-14, 04:08 AM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Send a message via Skype™ to phazewolf

Sorry Onkyo no XT32 setup no sale, I will be happy to take my money else where thanks for making my mind up and it will not be one of your products.
post #18 of 77 Old 03-27-14, 08:55 AM
HTS Reviewer

Even if the 535 and 636 were Audyssey-equipped, it would not likely have been XT32 or even XT at that price point. I think it has yet to be announced whether or not Onkyo will replace XT/XT32 with proprietary room correction in their higher end models. Not necessarily a deal-breaker yet, but as you said there are certainly other good options out there if one requires XT32. We should be seeing a lot of new AVRs announced in the near future. Pioneer and Onkyo have gotten the ball rolling.
post #19 of 77 Old 03-27-14, 09:44 AM
Shackster

It is very difficult to compare how the currently available room correction products perform from most equipment reviews. Some authors don't evaluate the systems at all and others provide only a cursory comment. The comprehensive evaluations provided by David Rich's in his treatise on Anthem Room Correction (ARC) and Piero Gabucci on the Dirac system at Secrets of Home Theater and Hifi and your own writings regarding the various Audyssey, Trinnov and miniDSP variants in Stereophile are immensely important to audio enthusiasts seeking better sound. A similar technical evaluation of the Cirrus room correction solution, including evaluation of both the "automatic" and "manual" modes as applicable, would be of great benefit given the expanding number of lower- and some not-so-low priced preamplifier processors and receivers incorporating the technology.
post #20 of 77 Old 03-27-14, 10:04 AM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
rkeman wrote: View Post
Some authors don't evaluate the systems at all and others provide only a cursory comment.
When testing isn't being done and new room correction software isn't run, I feel like I'm being cheated out of my time as many of these so called reviews are nothing more than a mime of specifications.

(disclosure: currently we're not AVR hunting as i'm very happy with what we have)