Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0 - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 77 Old 03-27-14, 08:07 PM
HTS Reviewer

Re: Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Now we're really getting off topic . . .
Agreed. Please divert further discussion of receiver review feedback and/or suggestions to this new thread here.

You can have your thread back Todd. Sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 Old 03-27-14, 08:35 PM
HTS Reviewer

Re: Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0

Moved rkeman's reply to the above mentioned thread in order to keep this discussion related specifically to the new Onkyo models.
post #33 of 77 Old 03-27-14, 09:04 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Send a message via Skype™ to phazewolf
No idea what they were thinking with not touching the mains and only tweaking the side and rear channels sense there is not nearly the content that the mains or center have to deal with. Seems crazy to me and I hope it is only on there lower lines.
post #34 of 77 Old 03-28-14, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
Agreed. Please divert further discussion of receiver review feedback and/or suggestions to this new thread here.

You can have your thread back Todd. Sorry
I'm happy the preview spurred some discussion...it was impossible for this issue to sneak under the radar. Onkyo and Audyssey have been married at the hip for a long stretch, they had to have known this would be a touchy subject.
post #35 of 77 Old 04-06-14, 04:27 AM
Senior Shackster
John

My System

Any word if it will just be there lower end models that get Audyssey replaced or will it be all models as they come out? I am really not happy about the loss at least in my eyes of Audyssey it was one of the things I really loved on my PR SC 5508 and down the road when I go to replace it I was hoping to stick with Onkyo.

I hope Onkyo sees the feedback and they think about what the people who buy there stuff want and take to heart how we feel before cutting out something known to work so well for so many of us.
post #36 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 03:22 PM
Fred

This is the discription of the AccuEQ Room Calibration on Onkyo's website. It looks like it may include optimizing the center channel along with the surrounds (which is still different)...

Exclusive AccuEQ Room Calibration - Calibrating the sound to suit your room's acoustics is simple with AccuEQ. Once you've connected your speakers, plug-in the included mic and wait a few moments as the TX-NR636 measures things such as speaker distance, type, crossover, and output, taking into account any reflections from your walls and floor. The system is designed specifically to by-pass your front left and right speakers. The system then optimizes the frequency response of the remaining speakers so you can enjoy balanced surround sound regardless of room shape or furnishing while retaining the characteristics of your front left and right speakers for optimum enjoyment.
post #37 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 03:30 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
He's but the issue is a lot of people spend much less money on the surround speakers then the mains plus the other speakers carry much less content then your costly mains which will be left alone and have the bulk of the content to deal with.

To me that is not the best idea by a long shot.
post #38 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 03:35 PM
Banned!

My System

Just saying 90% of dialogue is carried through the center channel and in my opinion, two subs and a high-end center channel are the most important speakers in a 5.2 system.
post #39 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 05:56 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
But doing a set of corrections for the center and leaving the main to not sound nearly as good is not a very good idea.

Try this disconnect your mains run the auto setup and then hook then up and manually enter the distance and level info and watch a movie and see how bad it sounds. I tried it and if this is what they are selling I will take my money else where.

The mains will still have all the large room peaks and what point does such serve anyone to make the side and rears sound good when the mains will step all over them with large peaks in the responds.
post #40 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 06:02 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
By doing this Onkyo sure did generate a lot of buzz but at this point I am not sure this is the buzz they wanted.

When I talked to some of my friends they said they were happy with how it was and that they would just go with someone that offers what they took away.

Now as I have said these are lower end model and we are still not sure on the higher end and that tends to be what my friends have as well as me.