Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0 - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 08:49 PM
Senior Shackster
BJ

I think what they are getting at is it leaves the main left and right channels and then eqs the remaining channels to match the fronts to get cohesive sound from all channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 08:58 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Send a message via Skype™ to phazewolf
Sure and it the mains have a 25db peak at 40hz will it boost the other channels to match the bad sounding unequized mains and match the other issues they may have as well?

I use my system for music as and movies and like many need something to help the system not just cut corners and do a few speakers.
post #43 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 09:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0

Quote:
primetimeguy wrote: View Post
I think what they are getting at is it leaves the main left and right channels and then eqs the remaining channels to match the fronts to get cohesive sound from all channels.
You really think they're using the raw response of the front L/R speakers as a target curve for EQing the other speakers?

Sanjay
post #44 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 10:29 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
You really think they're using the raw response of the front L/R speakers as a target curve for EQing the other speakers?
Nope. It does read like that, but I don't think they'd do that. There has to be more under the hood we don't know about yet. I doubt that all they learned from Audyssey over the years is to bypass the L/R channels, even though I believe marantz offers an option for this in their Audyssey setup. I'm also pretty sure Onkyo knows what could be at stake, I would be surprised if they drop a half baked room corr. Everything I have read says it's replacing multiQ, so hopefully that doesn't include higher versions.
post #45 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 10:46 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
If you have read about how many people have half baked HDMI boards sometimes having to need to have the board replaced 3+ times I would not be so sure. You would think they would of learned that a fan and a good heat sink would help the chip or that moving it away from so much heat but time after time model after model it is the same with the same old issues.

I for one hope they somehow don't drop the ball just to save some money and stick us with the issues they have had years to correct the HDMI issues and yet there still failing.

But back to this. I for the life of me can't understand why you word want to cut a corner like this and not work on the mains. In my eyes the center channel and the mains first and foremost are what need the help. The other speakers are a lot of times are located in not the best place for sound to start so trying to get them to match the center or mains is tuff at best.

To me you put the time and energy where you have the largest payoff and that is the center for voices and the mains for music and all the content they handle.
post #46 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 11:14 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
phazewolf wrote: View Post
If you have read about how many people have half baked HDMI boards sometimes having to need to have the board replaced 3+ times I would not be so sure. You would think they would of learned that a fan and a good heat sink would help the chip or that moving it away from so much heat but time after time model after model it is the same with the same old issues. I for one hope they somehow don't drop the ball just to save some money and stick us with the issues they have had years to correct the HDMI issues and yet there still failing. But back to this. I for the life of me can't understand why you word want to cut a corner like this and not work on the mains. In my eyes the center channel and the mains first and foremost are what need the help. The other speakers are a lot of times are located in not the best place for sound to start so trying to get them to match the center or mains is tuff at best. To me you put the time and energy where you have the largest payoff and that is the center for voices and the mains for music and all the content they handle.
Funny thing, I had to have my hdmi board replaced! They did it for free, and I was past warranty. Onkyo isn't the only company that's had trouble either. I think they just have more units out in the wild. That only means more units in use that can fail. I agree with you in the above statements, and what I hope, is that when somebody puts one on a test bench we see that there is more to it than stated thus far. I also hope they retain Audyssey for the higher end stuff. Who knows, maybe it will actually be good!
post #47 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 11:28 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Yes I hope they keep it for the high end systems too but time will tell.

Now if you were to ask me to guess what I think they are going to do is use the new system on all there stuff even the high end and then use what we are have now on there pro line. That way you will pay more if you want good room correction and for the bulk of there stuff they sell the cheep auto correction system but at current prices and make more money.
post #48 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 11:33 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
phazewolf wrote: View Post
Yes I hope they keep it for the high end systems too but time will tell. Now if you were to ask me to guess what I think they are going to do is use the new system on all there stuff even the high end and then use what we are have now on there pro line. That way you will pay more if you want good room correction and for the bulk of there stuff they sell the cheep auto correction system but at current prices and make more money.
I could see this too. Sure wouldn't be the first company to use a model like this! Is your mention of "pro" Integra? I was wondering about them in this deal too.
post #49 of 77 Old 04-07-14, 11:42 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Yes that is who I was think of. Until now there is not much of a different between the main line and the pro equipment. This would change such but were guessing at this point.
post #50 of 77 Old 04-08-14, 02:46 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
There has to be more under the hood we don't know about yet.
It's the free room correction that comes on the Cirrus decoder chip:

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proBulletin/IRC_PB.pdf

Sanjay