Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0 - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 77 Old 04-22-14, 12:38 PM
Onkyo

Kira Von Concrete

My System
Re: Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Looks like they're using the free room correction even on their more expensive ($1,200) models:

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

Bad idea.
The cirrus app is not AccuEQ at all. No relation to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 04-22-14, 12:41 PM
Onkyo

Kira Von Concrete

My System
Re: Onkyo Announces Two New AVRs (TX-NR535 and TX-NR636), Featuring Proprietary Room Correction Software and HDMI 2.0

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Bare bones indeed; not even close to what Audyssey does.

Brief overview here: http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proBulletin/IRC_PB.pdf
This (cirrus) is not AccuEQ.
post #63 of 77 Old 04-22-14, 01:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
kiravonconcrete wrote: View Post
The cirrus app is not AccuEQ at all. No relation to it.
Since you work for Onkyo, I will take your word for it. I was going by what Audyssey CTO Chris Kyriakakis posted on their Facebook page:
Quote:
"Signs of the times: In a cost-cutting move, Onkyo has decided to go with the "free" EQ provided by their chip supplier. Sadly, you get what you pay for."
Quote:
kiravonconcrete wrote: View Post
This (cirrus) is not AccuEQ.
OK, what is AccuEQ?

Sanjay
post #64 of 77 Old 04-22-14, 10:41 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
I was drooling on the 838, til I got to the accuEQ description. I just can't see how this is even close to audyssey, let alone an improvement.
post #65 of 77 Old 04-28-14, 08:01 AM

I think the XT32 that is in my TX-NR3009 is fantastic but to get it that way, I have to manually reset the speaker levels, verify and sometimes correct the x-over frequency and then play with distances to get a good blend between the subs and the mains. And all of this after running the Audyssey program. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to try a different system because I have this one working so well.

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck27; 04-28-14 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling
post #66 of 77 Old 04-28-14, 08:34 AM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
Chuck27 wrote: View Post
I think the XT32 that is in my TX-NR3009 is fantastic but to get it that way, I have to manually reset the speaker levels, verify and sometimes correct the x-over frequency and then play with distances to get a good blend between the subs and the mains. And all of this after running the Audyssey program. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to try a different system because I have this one working so well.
Just saying, pretty much, everybody has to do what you suggest in your above.

Audyssey and the AVR manufacture have an agreement and Audyssey makes recommendations to the AVR. It's the AVR that is the final arbiter as to what it does with the measurements Audyssey comes up with.

A question, have you taken the time to download and get a freeware copy of REW up and running so you can measure the acoustics in the room and see how the output from your speakers and subwoofers are interacting with each other at the main listening position?
post #67 of 77 Old 04-28-14, 09:54 AM

Absolutely! I am very new to the product but I'm slowly learning. I needed to use REW back in the very beginning to figure out where to put my subwoofers, and more recently I have used it to tune the speaker distance from the subs to the listening position in order to get a smooth transition to the mains. I have a BG Radia subwoofer system and their chief Engineer, Igor Levitsky, helped me a great deal in using REW to get the desired results.

Chuck
post #68 of 77 Old 04-28-14, 10:49 AM
Banned!

My System

..."BG Radia subwoofer"

I sure hope you're happy with this subwoofer system. That was kind of Igor to help you with the setup. Having the subwoofers, hopefully unobtrusively, in the walls, has to be totally cool.

Last edited by BeeMan458; 04-28-14 at 01:31 PM.
post #69 of 77 Old 08-17-15, 10:59 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

I just bought the NR646. I can't say the Accueq is no good. In my room it makes the mains sound clean and the sub has a better punch compared to XT. I am not against XT it is just what I have noticed in my room. What Accueq did was set the mains to 200hz and Audyssey had set them to Full Band. I manually had to change from 200hz to 80hz.
Per Onkyo they updated the Accueq were it now EQ's the mains and sub.

I would be nice if someone here could review an avr with Accueq.
post #70 of 77 Old 08-17-15, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I've been in contact with Onkyo about it!