MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_ - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 66 Old 04-16-14, 04:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_

Quote:
Flak wrote: View Post
Sure,

let me say that the Antimode is a well engineered product but a different one... as the name implies it is targeted at correcting the room modes.
If you read through the REW document that I mentioned you will notice that the room behaviour at the lowest frequencies is where it is more likely to be minimum-phase.

As a result the Antimode choice of limiting the correction to the lowest frequencies is the correct one being it a minimum-phase solution.
So we are speaking about two different products, an "antimode" correction in one case... a full bandwidth impulse and frequency response correction in the case of miniDSP and Dirac Live.

Finally as you say testing is always a good idea, you can do it by downloading the Dirac Live (PC or Mac) free trial for two weeks from here: http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx
You will then be able to judge by yourself by carefully listening and by measuring the improvements in impulse and frequency response.

Flavio
Thank you

My laptop is not up to it spec wise.

To try it do i have to play the CD player in the laptop then connect to the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 Old 04-16-14, 04:29 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
This sounds really intriguing. Would love to get my hands on one to try it out. I will prod at Sonnie and see if we can get one for a review and user guide.
+ 1
post #13 of 66 Old 04-16-14, 08:31 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Thank you

My laptop is not up to it spec wise.

To try it do i have to play the CD player in the laptop then connect to the receiver?
Hello Phillips,

it's unlikely that your laptop will not be able to use Dirac Live, for testing purposes even an Atom netboook can work.... I've tried it myself with an Acer netbook and it was relatively slow only in aspects that do not affect the playback (i.e. filter creation)

Alternatively a test by a HTS reviewer would also be very informative... let's see what happens

Flavio

Warning: I may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #14 of 66 Old 04-16-14, 10:53 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
This sounds really intriguing. Would love to get my hands on one to try it out. I will prod at Sonnie and see if we can get one for a review and user guide.
And Tony with miniDSP would like you to have one for review...
post #15 of 66 Old 04-16-14, 11:11 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Super! Looking forward to it!

Among other things, we will be able to A-B compare the results against Audyssey MultQE XT.
post #16 of 66 Old 04-16-14, 11:51 PM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Send a message via Skype™ to phazewolf
Only XT and not XT32? Any reason as to why or is that what you have on hand?
post #17 of 66 Old 04-16-14, 11:59 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

XT is what I have on hand. If we can finagle an XT32 AVR for review in the same timeframe, we will do that comparison. Probably the better choice. We have talked about doing an in-depth guide for the Audyssey Pro Kit, too, so the right AVR would cover all the above. I will work on it.
post #18 of 66 Old 04-17-14, 12:02 AM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Thanks I am really interested in seeing how this comes out.
post #19 of 66 Old 04-17-14, 12:24 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

As am I. DRC implementations really intrigue me. Beyond Audyssey MultEQ and the upcoming DDRC unit, I have also worked with Denis Sbragion's free DRC (command-line), with Room EQ Wizard + HW/SW EQ, and with hand-tuning. I also get a kick out of the "never, ever EQ above 250 Hz" arguments. My basic view of "never-ever" arguments that do not involve probable loss of life is "Ooo, gonna have to try that."

It will be a fun review.
post #20 of 66 Old 04-17-14, 12:56 AM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Myself I think it should be a setting of how high you want it to correct not it just does. That way everyone is happy.