MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_ - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 66 Old 07-02-14, 12:57 PM

Re: MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_

Toosteep - you'll have to get a DAC and then split the signal. Cheap on the used market or there are some mini dacs for under $50.

I have some preliminary observations. I just ran Dirac outside because I want to get a baseline correction for my demo DSP speakers as they are never in the same place twice. My speakers sound pretty darned good, but I've been slowly tweaking them to coax a bit better sound out of them. Most people are floored by them already, but with Dirac taken back out, they suddenly sound a bit Bose AM-5ish. And that shows in the measurements. My REW measurements must have taken into account too much reflection as the outside measurements were a lot different. And, in fact, Dirac fixed some EQ errors I made. I attempted to fix a few problems and managed to make them worse. Dirac blended the tweeter and midrange better, tightened up the bass, improved the spatial aspects of the speaker, improved vocal clarity. For instance, on "I'm beautiful", I always heard the first lyric like "My life is something something", until I put it through my DSP speakers and then I said "did he say 'brilliant'? I think is says 'brilliant'" Well, suddenly it was obvious that was what he said with Dirac overlaid.

The system lacks the harshness and bass eliminating aspects of Audyssey. They made my speakers sound more lush and "liquid". Removed a touch of harshness and thinness in the lower treble. I was having a bit of a struggle blending the tweeter and woofer as they both have a broad dip in the same place - between 2000 and 3000 which is where they have to be crossed. So...I literally got dug out of my FR hole.

So, it's not correcting my room, JUST my speakers impulse response. And doing a crazy good job. Now, granted, I might be able to get most of that from REW, but OTOH, if you have a room you want to fix at the same time, then it no doubt offers a whole 'nother level of correction.

Of course, I need to, and will, try this on a lot of other combos and try to actually permanently get some rooms corrected, but I'm impressed. I suspect that the worse the speakers and/or room acoustics, the more benefit you'll get, but this was quite a benefit on speakers that are pretty high-end already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 66 Old 07-03-14, 01:09 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_

Quote:
rewjg wrote: View Post
Any update on a review? I'm considering DDRC-22A to put in between my Emotiva XDA-2 DAC and Emotiva XPR-5 Amp. I mainly listen to music, so this stereo offering is perfect for me. I play my music from my PC via JRiver connected via USB to the XDA-2 then XLR's to the amp. This would work perfect for me to just fit right in between the DAC and amp. That's if I can play music using the pc at the same time Dirac Live is running on the same PC. Does anyone know the answer to that?
Apologies, the review is almost done, got laid up with a sore back. Doing better, I should be able to have it posted within a few days.

Agree with the assessment to use the digital version for your application (via optical in - the PC has optical out??). The Dirac Live application on the PC behaves well with other audio applications, has for me anyway. Be aware that the DDRC-22D output is always running at 96 kHz, regardless of input bit rate, should not be a problem for you though.
post #53 of 66 Old 07-04-14, 06:11 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
AudioBaja wrote: View Post
Toosteep - you'll have to get a DAC and then split the signal. Cheap on the used market or there are some mini dacs for under $50.
There are a good news for people with TooSteep's requirements...

the Dirac Series has been so successful that a third model will be available from August... it does make the purchase of a DAC unnecessary:
http://www.minidsp.com/dirac-series/ddrc-22da

Ciao, Flavio

Warning: I may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Last edited by Flak; 07-04-14 at 06:41 AM.
post #54 of 66 Old 02-07-15, 09:40 PM
Shackster
kevinkr

Anyone have any thoughts to add specifically about the DDRC-22A? The intended application is in a tube based system with balanced I/O between the amps and line stage. (Voltages are under 2Vrms) Currently in use is a Varicurve FCS-926 which is a 6 band parametric based room EQ - the improvements in sound quality are quite noticeable, but there are over 50 op-amps in the signal path, and the unit provides no time alignment or impulse response correction.

If anyone has any thoughts to share on this specific unit I will provide additional detail about my system. (It's a bit complicated otherwise and no point cluttering up the forum if not relevant to discussion.)
post #55 of 66 Old 02-08-15, 09:47 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
kevinkr wrote: View Post
Anyone have any thoughts to add specifically about the DDRC-22A? The intended application is in a tube based system with balanced I/O between the amps and line stage. (Voltages are under 2Vrms) Currently in use is a Varicurve FCS-926 which is a 6 band parametric based room EQ - the improvements in sound quality are quite noticeable, but there are over 50 op-amps in the signal path, and the unit provides no time alignment or impulse response correction.

If anyone has any thoughts to share on this specific unit I will provide additional detail about my system. (It's a bit complicated otherwise and no point cluttering up the forum if not relevant to discussion.)
While the DDRC-22a probably has fewer opamps, it does incorporate an A/D converter at the input and a D/A at the output which you may or may not find acceptable in your system.

Kal Rubinson
post #56 of 66 Old 02-08-15, 10:33 AM
Shackster
kevinkr

Kal, thank you for the response. I've experimented with an early DEQX (2.6) loaned to me which it turns out unfortunately has some gain issues (bluntly it's broken) on one of the two channels I would use for stereo mode operation, but in general it seemed like a step in the right direction.

Audio engineering is a sort of a hobby for me these days, but my background is in analog and mixed signal circuit design so I am pretty well acquainted with the dichotomy represented by placing a digital processor in the signal chain of an otherwise all tube system. The current equalizer addresses two serious room modes quite effectively and despite the imposition of a lot of ancient solid state electronics in the signal path the audible benefit outweighs the deficits. (So far I don't think I hear anything too bad, some loss of HF air is about it.) Impulse response correction and time alignment seem like potential benefits I would be interested in.

While I am a pragmatic EE in a lot of regards I am looking for some subjective impressions of the hardware performance of this device before I commit to this. So I'm hoping someone with one of these processors in a fairly high end system can weigh in about things like perceived noise floor, dynamics, tonal balance, imaging and anything else they might think relevant.

Not a lot of stuff out there on this device, the few comments I have found were generally very favorable, but sparse on actual detail.
post #57 of 66 Old 02-08-15, 03:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

I have not used this device but I have used the nanoAVR HD and the miniDSP 10x10 Hd. The nano is HDMI in/out and, at 24/96 processing/throughput, was pretty transparent unless I used much higher resolution. Even then, the difference is mostly trivial. The latter is hardware similar to the DDRC-88A and, therefore, is A/D/A; that was a bit less transparent but eminently listenable.

Are your sources analog, digital or both?

Kal Rubinson
post #58 of 66 Old 02-08-15, 06:11 PM
Shackster
kevinkr

My sources are all analog, digital media is handled by a Sony HAP-Z1ES (having abandoned my media server in favor of this device) and a heavily reworked SCD-777ES, also play a fair amount of vinyl using all tube based hardware, so for me a solution with analog I/O makes the most sense.
I probably just need to save my pennies and continue to hunt for the right solution.
post #59 of 66 Old 12-14-15, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
While the DDRC-22a probably has fewer opamps, it does incorporate an A/D converter at the input and a D/A at the output which you may or may not find acceptable in your system.
Kal, although I have used analogue active XOs for about 15 years, I am a digital newbie. I am being inducted into digital XOs and DSP since I am shortly going to take delivery of a pair of custom 15" subs. Having read a few pages of this thread - and gone off to explore the miniDSP/Dirac site - I understand you are a guru in these matters and would be grateful if you could tell me what delay the DDRC-88a can deliver (as I can't see this defined in the User Manual! ).

I am told by my sub builder that the miniDSP 2x4 unit only goes up to 7 millisecs delay ... which may not be enough in my room, due to the position of my main speakers (Maggies) and the subs. If I need more, I am hoping that another miniDSP product can deliver this ... but which one!

Thanks,

Andy
post #60 of 66 Old 12-14-15, 10:08 PM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
andyr wrote: View Post
Kal, although I have used analogue active XOs for about 15 years, I am a digital newbie. I am being inducted into digital XOs and DSP since I am shortly going to take delivery of a pair of custom 15" subs. Having read a few pages of this thread - and gone off to explore the miniDSP/Dirac site - I understand you are a guru in these matters and would be grateful if you could tell me what delay the DDRC-88a can deliver (as I can't see this defined in the User Manual! ).

I am told by my sub builder that the miniDSP 2x4 unit only goes up to 7 millisecs delay ... which may not be enough in my room, due to the position of my main speakers (Maggies) and the subs. If I need more, I am hoping that another miniDSP product can deliver this ... but which one!
I do not know but suggest you ask miniDSP.

Kal Rubinson