MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_ - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 66 Old 04-11-14, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_

Room Correction solutions are vitally important to the vast majority of enthusiasts, especially for those of us that want to enjoy great sounding music in less than ideal acoustic environments. MiniDSP recently announced the release of two new stereo room correction product packages that are sure to turn heads and attract quite a bit of attention. The DDRC-22A (analog) and DDRC-22D (digital) audio processors are the first installments into the Dirac Series of high resolution units (24-bit 96kHz), resulting from a collaboration between miniDSP and Dirac Research (a premier player in high-performance digital sound optimization, room correction, and sound field synthesis).

"Dirac is well known for the premium audio quality and sound accuracy they have brought to luxury cars and professional cinema theaters around the world. We’re excited to embed Dirac Live technology into our line of room correction audio processors,” said Antoine Rouget, Managing Director of miniDSP. “With our focus on simplifying the achievement of excellent audio in a variety of settings, we’re thrilled to bring Dirac’s technologies to a broader set of listening environments.”

The DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D both ship with a hi-res audio processor unit, software, and a UMIK-1 microphone (with calibration file). Owners simply plug the USB UMIK-1 microphone into a computer and perform multipoint measurements (MiniDSP currently only supports Windows based systems, Vista SP1/ XP pro SP2/Win7/Win8; Intel Pentium III or later processor, AMD Athlon XP or later). Independent corrections for both time and frequency domains can be performed (10Hz-20,000kHz) and loaded into the 22A or 22D audio processor resulting in a full, rich, and focused sound. Users can preset up to four different filters.

The processor units are both small (1.6”H X 8.4”W X 7.9”D) making for easy integration into most system setups. The rear of the units feature a 5VDC power and USB 2.0 inputs, and either XLR analog audio inputs/outputs (DDRC-22A) or SPDIF, TOSLINK optical and AES-EBU digital inputs/outputs. The front of the units have a rotary/push encoder, a filter set indicator (filters 1-4), and (for the digital version) a digital input indicator light. An included remote control allows for real-time switching between preloaded room correction filters.

"It has been exciting to collaborate with miniDSP on this new product series," says Mathias Johansson, CEO of Dirac Research. "We saw a great match with miniDSP given their rapid innovation and commitment to providing audio enthusiasts with the latest technologies to enable excellent sound.”

The DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D are priced at $899 for full kits that include a UMIK-1 microphone. Users that already own a UMIK-1 have the option of purchasing a software/processor package for $824. For more information, or to order, visit MiniDSP.

Image Credit: MiniDSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 04-12-14, 04:08 AM
Senior Shackster
John

My System
Send a message via Skype™ to phazewolf
Re: MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_

This unit looks very nice. Does anyone know if there are plans for a unit that can handle 7.1 in the works?

If so and if the price is the same or drop's some that will be a huge hit for sure and I would pick one up in a heart beat.

just looked into it and you can setup a house curve so can make there own. This is great news they just need a unit that can handle 7+ channels and the subs all in one unit.

Last edited by phazewolf; 04-12-14 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Read more on it
post #3 of 66 Old 04-12-14, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: MiniDSP Releases New Room Correction Solutions with Dirac Live (DDRC-22A and DDRC-22D_

I'll check with my contact.
post #4 of 66 Old 04-13-14, 02:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Hi any reviews in the pipeline?

How would it compare to the Antimode Dual Core 2.0?

Also how would it compare to the DEQX (though alot different price) does it deal with the timing of the drivers the same as the DEQX?
post #5 of 66 Old 04-14-14, 10:00 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Hi any reviews in the pipeline?

How would it compare to the Antimode Dual Core 2.0?

Also how would it compare to the DEQX (though alot different price) does it deal with the timing of the drivers the same as the DEQX?
Yes, Dirac Live will compensate for delay of the drivers up to a maximum of 10 milliseconds,
also both Antimode and the room correction part of DEQX are traditional minimum-phase solutions while Dirac Live is a mixed-phase one.

Minimum-phase filters can successfully correct those regions of frequencies where the room has a minimum-phase behaviour, but this is not always the case as explained in this REW document:
http://www.roomeqwizard.com/wizardhe...imumphase.html

We try to explain something about mixed-phase filters here:
http://diracdocs.com/Understanding%20more.pdf

Ciao, Flavio

Warning: I may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #6 of 66 Old 04-14-14, 08:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Brent L

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to blitzer

Quote:
phazewolf wrote: View Post
This unit looks very nice. Does anyone know if there are plans for a unit that can handle 7.1 in the works?

If so and if the price is the same or drop's some that will be a huge hit for sure and I would pick one up in a heart beat.

just looked into it and you can setup a house curve so can make there own. This is great news they just need a unit that can handle 7+ channels and the subs all in one unit.
Well, you could get the Dirac Live software that handles 8 channels, but that would require you to have a computer to insert in the chain or as the HTPC.

http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

There is a free trial as well, but this is most costly than the MiniDSP of course.
post #7 of 66 Old 04-15-14, 03:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Flak wrote: View Post
Yes, Dirac Live will compensate for delay of the drivers up to a maximum of 10 milliseconds,
also both Antimode and the room correction part of DEQX are traditional minimum-phase solutions while Dirac Live is a mixed-phase one.

Minimum-phase filters can successfully correct those regions of frequencies where the room has a minimum-phase behaviour, but this is not always the case as explained in this REW document:
http://www.roomeqwizard.com/wizardhe...imumphase.html

We try to explain something about mixed-phase filters here:
http://diracdocs.com/Understanding%20more.pdf

Ciao, Flavio
Thank you

Would be great to try one of these and compare to the Antimode Dual Core 2.0 (already own) and then keep which one is the best. I will not buy then find out that the Antimode was as good or better.
post #8 of 66 Old 04-15-14, 04:12 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Phillips wrote: View Post
Thank you

Would be great to try one of these and compare to the Antimode Dual Core 2.0 (already own) and then keep which one is the best. I will not buy then find out that the Antimode was as good or better.
Sure,

let me say that the Antimode is a well engineered product but a different one... as the name implies it is targeted at correcting the room modes.
If you read through the REW document that I mentioned you will notice that the room behaviour at the lowest frequencies is where it is more likely to be minimum-phase.

As a result the Antimode choice of limiting the correction to the lowest frequencies is the correct one being it a minimum-phase solution.
So we are speaking about two different products, an "antimode" correction in one case... a full bandwidth impulse and frequency response correction in the case of miniDSP and Dirac Live.

Finally as you say testing is always a good idea, you can do it by downloading the Dirac Live (PC or Mac) free trial for two weeks from here: http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx
You will then be able to judge by yourself by carefully listening and by measuring the improvements in impulse and frequency response.

Flavio

Warning: I may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

Last edited by Flak; 04-15-14 at 11:27 AM.
post #9 of 66 Old 04-15-14, 05:02 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

This sounds really intriguing. Would love to get my hands on one to try it out. I will prod at Sonnie and see if we can get one for a review and user guide.
post #10 of 66 Old 04-15-14, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
phazewolf wrote: View Post

MiniDSP does not release future product info... That's the official word. So, we'll all have to use our imaginations as to what the future will hold.