HTS Goes To VS... Sonnie Goes To SVS - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 42 Old 04-25-14, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
HTS Goes To VS... Sonnie Goes To SVS

The news is out... Home Theater Shack (HTS) has been sold to VerticalScope (VS). Founders Sonnie and John are no longer the owners. For most HTS members, this is a surprising turn of events that raises quite a few questions about the future of an invaluable and beloved meeting place for AV enthusiasts. While John will be staying on the HTS staff to support Room EQ Wizard (REW), Sonnie is leaving to lay new roots in the audio industry. I recently caught up with Sonnie to find out more about the HTS sale deal and his new audio plans.

The first question everyone is going to ask is why did you and John decide to sell HTS?
There were a few personal reasons for both of us, and additionally, for me, the site was beginning to need a lot of attention on the back-end. There is quite a bit that goes into maintaining a forum and it reached a point to where I didn't have the necessary time to tackle all of the issues that needed to be addressed. John and I have other jobs, own other businesses, and have obligations. What started out as a fun hobby turned into a LOT of work for me, and not the kind of work I really cared for. I simply could not keep it up and this was the best decision for the both of us.

Are you concerned the forum is going to undergo significant changes?
Absolutely not! This was a prerequisite for the purchaser, and there were several interested buyers. Obviously no one can control what ultimately happens after a sale like this, but it’s easy enough to look at the potential buyer’s track record and see how they've handled similar purchases. VerticalScope is a reputable company with proven success in the forum business, and have successfully integrated seamlessly with forums purchased in the past. John and I are very pleased with the fact VS was interested and ended-up as the new owners.

So now you’re working at SVS. How did this come about and what will you be doing?
It was all about timing. My initial thoughts were to sell HTS and look for something that I could do in the audio industry… and hopefully work from home. I have a couple of other businesses, but the economy has adversely affected them. Not only has my personal insurance increased tremendously, but also employee insurance. That goes hand-in-hand with the rising costs of employees, gas, and goods... all of which are relied upon to maintain those businesses. My wife and I could survive, but we could also see ourselves potentially depleting our future retirement trying to survive. It made sense to look for something that would be financially beneficial for my wife and I. It just so happened that SVS was looking for someone to join their customer service team, and after talking to Ed Mullen about a position in the company, it all jelled together nicely. SVS is very peticular about who they hire and the interview process is quite extensive, so I feel extremely privileged to work for such a fine company. In fact, I could not think of a better company to work for... with great products that provide a tremendous bang for the buck... and I am part of the absolute best customer service team on the planet. I am officially a Customer Service Associate and will handle sales and technical support via phone, chat, and email. I will spend quite a bit of time with customers helping them to integrate their new SVS subs into their home systems. It really isn't much different than what I was doing at HTS, although I was finding less time to help forum members because of the amount of work needed to run the site. Now, I will be able to help customers every day, and I have to say it is very gratifying to help others in this capacity. It just doesn't get any better.

In your opinion, what do you think the future holds for HTS?
I can't look into my crystal ball and tell you what will happen with HTS, but if VerticalScope runs it like they say they will, HTS is going to grow to be the premier no-nonsense information source for home theater and audio enthusiasts. They have the ability to extend the site’s reach, and with the type of respected forum HTS has become... with the kind of member base this forum has developed, it will reach amazing levels of success. Simply put, there’s not a cleaner, safer, forum with membership consisting of the maturity level of HTS members. The staff, the members, and the overall community are unmatched. I am seriously excited for HTS and its future. Once again, I thank everyone for all you have done to help make HTS what is today, and I wish HTS and VS the very best!

Image Credit: SVS Sound

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 04-29-14 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-25-14, 10:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: HTS Goes To VS... Sonnie Goes To SVS

Hi Sonnie all the best in your new venture, i am really sure you enjoy your new work (always a huge bonus).

Thanks again
post #3 of 42 Old 04-26-14, 12:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Wow! That's very unexpected news and wish you the best in your endeavors with SVS. I am the owner of one of their subs and must say the experience was second to none from beginning to end. I continue to be impressed daily with my PB12-NSD. I guess we will all find out if HTS continues down the same path of excellence. Any word on current staff staying on in the same capacities?
post #4 of 42 Old 04-26-14, 12:26 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Thanks guys.

As far as I know I am the only one that is no longer on staff. Everyone else seems to be fine with staying, which I would have expected no less from these guys. I fully believe they are dedicated to making sure HTS remains the same or better... just as I feel VS is committed to doing the same.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #5 of 42 Old 04-26-14, 12:33 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
So Sonnie are you gonna go with a complete SVS speaker system now that you sold off all your other stuff? Of course it would make sense to have one since you'll be able to give first hand experience in customer service relations. Congrats on the new venture and sad to see you leave the staff here at HTS.
post #6 of 42 Old 04-26-14, 12:57 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Already done... a full Ultra system.

I was fond of the Ultras when we reviewed them a while back, just thought they were a tad bass heavy, but I sat them down right where my Montis were sitting and using the Montis' Audyssey setting... they sound great. The bass is tamed due to equalization vs. no equalization during the speaker event. And I am dead serious when I say they sound great. My jaw dropped when I played Cassondra Wilson Strange Fruit. Joe heard them too when he came down to pick up the subs. We never tried this location during the review, but I can tell you I ain't moving them an inch. I admit I was not crazy about moving the Montis out, but I was also relieved far beyond expectations after hearing the Ultras as they are now. I will be looking forward to some of these guys who heard the Montis getting to hear the Ultras.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #7 of 42 Old 04-26-14, 01:04 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Already done... a full Ultra system. I was fond of the Ultras when we reviewed them a while back, just thought they were a tad bass heavy, but I sat them down right where my Montis were sitting and using the Montis' Audyssey setting... they sound great. The bass is tamed due to equalization vs. no equalization during the speaker event. And I am dead serious when I say they sound great. My jaw dropped when I played Cassondra Wilson Strange Fruit. Joe heard them too when he came down to pick up the subs. We never tried this location during the review, but I can tell you I ain't moving them an inch. I admit I was not crazy about moving the Montis out, but I was also relieved far beyond expectations after hearing the Ultras as they are now. I will be looking forward to some of these guys who heard the Montis getting to hear the Ultras.
Very Cool! When the ultras first came out I was contemplating getting a full system as well but I got way too good of a deal on my current system to pass it up. Maybe in the future? Congrats on the new system and on the new position!
post #8 of 42 Old 04-26-14, 02:31 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Sonnie,

I wish you the best for you and the family. It was great knowing you and having your help. SVS is an excellent company, and they have gained an asset.
post #9 of 42 Old 04-26-14, 08:14 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Sonnie

I wish you the very best in your new venture, this almost sounds like a dream come true as I am sure some of us were indeed quite the headache.

I do hope to be able to call you one day and say, "I'll Take Two"

May the brightest of futures be your horizon today. You're a good man Sonnie and SVS will indeed be proud to have you as part of their family.

...maybe i will need way more than two.....

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #10 of 42 Old 04-26-14, 09:42 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Sonnie all the best for you and your family in the future.

One thing to mention in the first post, if Todd is referring to Ed (Director of Technology & Customer Relations at SVS), then his last name is Mullen and not Mullins.

Unless he is referring to another person.

Anyway, good luck and once again all the best for you!