Denon's New AV Receivers Offer Big Bang for Little Buck (AVR-S500BT, AVR-S700W , AVR-S900W) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 05-19-14, 05:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Denon's New AV Receivers Offer Big Bang for Little Buck (AVR-S500BT, AVR-S700W , AVR-S900W)

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
The S700W (75W X 7 channels) and S900W (90W X 7 channels) offer slightly more, with 4K upscaling, Audyssey Bronze (MultiEQ, Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume), and powered multi-zone capabilities.
Did Audyssey recently change its naming structure?

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 08-19-14, 01:47 PM
Shackster

Re: Denon's New AV Receivers Offer Big Bang for Little Buck (AVR-S500BT, AVR-S700W , AVR-S900W)

Funny story. I bought the AVR-S500BT last week. Hooked up my Klipsch Lascala mains, the Belle Klipsch center, and Heresy rears. Then I immediately tried the Bluetooth feature, streaming my music library from Samsung Galaxy S5.

The sound was nice, but I had to turn the gain WAY up to get really nice volume. This didn't make a lot of sense, since my mains have an output of 106 db at one meter with one watt in.

Never having used Bluetooth for anything other than using my gps as a speaker phone, I wondered if I would get better volume with a wired connection. It seemed to make sense that it would, so I plugged my cd player into the receiver, dropped in a cd, and hit play.

Uh oh. It occurred to me a millisecond AFTER hitting play that I hadn't turned down the volume on the receiver. The window about 20' from the mains (directly in line with them) exploded. My wife was (I believe) screaming at me, but I couldn't hear a thing. And I was grinning from ear to ear.

I haven't experienced something like that since the time when cd players first hit the market. I was managing a high end audio store in CT, and a new employee was demonstrating Klipsch LaScalas to a potential customer. He put a cd called "Time Warp" into a Carver player and hit play. Nothing happened. (He didn't realize there was about a 5 second delay at the start of the track he was playing on that cd. He cranked up the gain on the preamp, but the system was dead silent. Until it wasn't. The track began playing, a few panels in the drop ceiling lifted up, and 4 fluorescent light tubes detonated. (The customer, btw, immediately purchased the speakers.)

This little receiver has its limitations (one of which is that it doesn't adequately develop the bass with my speakers the way my separates, or even an old Yamaha receiver did. That is going to be cured in a few days when My NXG NX-BAS-500 arrives. That said, there is no harshness to the sonic quality of this receiver, and no audible IM distortion. It has a superior FM tuner, and more than enough power for my (admittedly efficient) 5 speaker array. The only thing that almost kept me from purchasing it was the price. I thought it was too inexpensive to really have any quality, and I was prepared to return it to Amazon as soon as it immediately and thoroughly disappointed me.

Call me Mr. Blue. That's the color I have turned, holding my breath waiting for that to happen.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-19-14, 05:00 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I for one appreciate the simplicity of these models. I've been saying for several years that all the clutter/hook-ups could be reduced and the savings passed on to the customer. How many hook ups do we really need now days? Not many!

Last edited by Tonto; 08-19-14 at 09:09 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 08-19-14, 06:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Did Audyssey recently change its naming structure?

Not really, what you are getting is a suite of Audyssey applications:

Audyssey Bronze includes MultEQ, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ.

Audyssey Silver includes MultEQ XT, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ.

Audyssey Gold includes MultEQ XT, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ and DSX for front height or wide speakers.

Audyssey Platinum includes MultEQ XT32, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ, DSX, Sub EQ HT, LFC, and Audyssey Pro.

Mark
post #15 of 21 Old 08-19-14, 06:24 PM
Senior Shackster

^^^ Thanx. I thought those names (Bronze, Silver, etc) were going to be new names for MultEQ, MultEQXT, etc. Appreciate the info.

Sanjay
post #16 of 21 Old 08-22-14, 11:56 PM
Senior Shackster

Denon's new Atmos-enabled receivers have started shipping:

http://amzn.com/B00MJ9K6IG

Sanjay
post #17 of 21 Old 09-04-14, 11:46 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Big Easy wrote: View Post
The window about 20' from the mains (directly in line with them) exploded.
BigEasy... you actually shattered a window with your system!?

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
I for one appreciate the simplicity of these models. I've been saying for several years that all the clutter/hook-ups could be reduced and the savings passed on to the customer. How many hook ups do we really need now days? Not many!
Tonto, I recently picked up a Denon AVR-E400 and the remote looks the same. At first I thought I was going to hate the "Music, Movie, Game, Pure" buttons for changing the mode because I was used to having the more specific choices of Dolby, DTS, 5 ch stereo, etc., then I realized that you can cycle between the available modes by multiple button presses and now I'm kind of on board.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #18 of 21 Old 09-04-14, 11:51 AM
Shackster

For me, the important things are 1. Sonic quality 2. Ample plug-ins for my gear, and 3. Adequate power. I too was a bit put off by the "Generic" buttons, until I actually used them. Now? I don't even notice.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-29-14, 04:35 PM
Senior Shackster

Has anyone got the s900w? Just ordered one yesterday.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-29-14, 06:18 PM
Shackster

[QUOTE=Owen Bartley;900737]BigEasy... you actually shattered a window with your system!?

It wasn't the first time, either.
When I was running K-Horns through bridged Apt Holman Apt 1 power amps, I actually caused (over the span of about a week of very high volume listening) to bring down an old brick chimney inside the house.