Denon's New AV Receivers Offer Big Bang for Little Buck (AVR-S500BT, AVR-S700W , AVR-S900W) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 05-13-14, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Denon's New AV Receivers Offer Big Bang for Little Buck (AVR-S500BT, AVR-S700W , AVR-S900W)

Several weeks ago we previewed Sony’s new line-up of AV Receivers that included a 7.2 channel model capable of 4K pass-through priced in the mid $300’s. As of yesterday, Sony is no longer the only big name manufacturer offering the latest bells and whistles for less coin. This time Denon…yes, Denon…announced budget busting prices on models with premium technologies, which is certainly interesting for a brand that’s frequently associated with higher-end pricing.

It appears the “S” included in the model numbers of Denon’s three new S-Series AV Receivers is meant to represent “savings,” because it’s obvious it doesn’t stand for “skimp” or “slashed.” The spec sheets on the company’s new AVR-S500BT ($250 MSRP), AVR-S700W ($450), and AVR-S900W ($600) receivers are certainly going to grab some attention. At this stage of the game, it’s obvious that that 4K compatibility (which goes hand-in-hand with HDMI 2.0) is a must-have option when shopping for new equipment and Denon and is making that a possibility for the masses.

“The S-Series models deliver an incredible home theater experience now and in the future with Bluetooth and wireless connectivity for streaming audio, a feature that undeniably is a must for today’s consumers,” said Paul Belanger, product manager for D+M. “And in response to growing consumer demand, we’ve priced the S500BT at an all-time low price point for built-in Bluetooth streaming in an AVR at $249.”

The feature set that all three AVRs share is fairly lengthy, including the latest HDMI 2.0 specification, 4K (60 frames per second) pass-through, 4:4:4 Pure Color capability, cinematic 21:9 aspect ratio compatibility, and auto lip sync technology. All three models also feature on-board Bluetooth connectivity for wireless streaming from smartphones and other portable devices. The S700W and S900W also carry built-in Wi-Fi to tap into home networks for internet radio, Pandora, Spotify Connect, Sirius XM, Airplay (for connection to iOS devices) and DLNA 1.5 certification (for PC, Mac, and Android devices).

The S500BT might not tickle the fancy of hardcore enthusiasts, but it’s impossible not to marvel at the features Denon is offering for a mere 250 dollars. Owners will have access to 5 HDMI inputs, dual subwoofer outputs, basic calibration functions, and 70 Watts of power across five channels. These are all inclusions that will work well for budget buyers looking for a solid performing unit.

The S700W (75W X 7 channels) and S900W (90W X 7 channels) offer slightly more, with 4K upscaling, Audyssey Bronze (MultiEQ, Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume), and powered multi-zone capabilities. They also are compatible with typical file types, including MP3, WAV, AAC, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF and DSD. The S900W takes it a step further with 8 HDMI inputs, 2 HDMI outputs, a front panel USB input, and analog to HDMI transcoding.

Of course, the impressive features on these aggressively priced models fail to address their sleek exterior design properties. Each has an easy to read display, large master volume knobs, and attractively brushed metal face plates.

All three units can be preordered on Denon’s website (now) and are scheduled to ship in June 2014.

Image Credits: Denon

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 05-19-14 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-13-14, 11:09 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: Denon's New AV Receivers Offer Big Bang for Little Buck

Any chance that these have pre-out jacks for external amps?

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #3 of 21 Old 05-13-14, 11:47 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Any chance that these have pre-out jacks for external amps?
Nope

AVR-S500BT

AVR-S700W

AVR-S900W
post #4 of 21 Old 05-13-14, 02:13 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

The 700 and 900 series units are rated for 4ohm loads though! Just not sure what happens internally to the output when the amp section sees that low load. It may do nasty things to the signal? Sad that most manufacturers seem to be skimping on a rather inexpensive way to offer an amplifier upgrade (full set of pre-outs). Now the least expensive receiver to offer pre-outs is: $600 NAD T748v2, then it goes like this: $800 Yamaha followed by $900 for Marantz, $1200 for Onkyo and $1300 for Denon! Note that these are MSRP's though and many times you can find some better deals.

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-16-14, 01:45 PM
Shackster

Just to clarify, HDMI 1.4 is fine for 4K(UHD or 2160P is more accurate).....at 24fps. HDMI 2.0 is where we get 4K/4.4.4/60fps.....although I think the 2.0 spec as it stands doesn't mean 4K/4.4.4/60fps simultaneously. Most of last years' higher-end AVR models from all manufacturers were capable of 4K/24fps passthrough and/or upscaling.

At any rate, It's interesting that all the big players have released HDMI 2.0 compliant receivers in their low-mid tier models first. I'm ready to upgrade, and my brand of choice(Pioneer Elite) is following the same trend in that they haven't made any sort of announcement on their new upper-end receivers yet.

We all find what we're looking for, whether we know it or not.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-16-14, 04:30 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Too bad no one make a nice inexpensive AVR like these but with pre-outs instead of all the fluff that no one really cares about.

Mark
post #7 of 21 Old 05-16-14, 06:21 PM
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
nova wrote: View Post
Too bad no one make a nice inexpensive AVR like these but with pre-outs instead of all the fluff that no one really cares about.

X2
post #8 of 21 Old 05-17-14, 12:10 AM
Shackster

Quote:
nova wrote: View Post
Emotiva and Outlaw do; it's called a pre/pro.

Seriously, though, I've been thinking the same thing, but that's why I am so interested in the Pioneer Elites. Their D3 amplification has been getting a lot of proper credit for producing a lot of clean, muscular power. It's been enough to keep me from buying an expensive pre/pro and picking up self-powered speakers like the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s or the Adam 5.

We all find what we're looking for, whether we know it or not.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-17-14, 07:38 AM
Senior Shackster
John

Quote:
Utopianemo wrote: View Post
Emotiva and Outlaw do; it's called a pre/pro.

Those are the only cheap options ... I'd like to to see someone else (Marantz ? ) come out with something .

I'm using an old Marantz sr 5400 with parasound amps.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-17-14, 10:48 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Yeah, I have been considering the Outlaw for quite some time now. I really like the clean and simple design. It is also quite a bit more expensive then these Denon's (which will likely be available for less than the MSRP).

Mark