Dolby Atmos is coming Home! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 12:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Hakka

Re: Dolby Atmos is coming Home!

Quote:
tcarcio wrote: View Post
I hope your right but if that is then why are they making speakers specifically made for Atmos?
The atmos speakers are for people who don't want to mount speakers on their ceiling.

Last edited by Hakka; 06-27-14 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 12:29 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

OK, Got ya....

Onkyo TX-NR809 HT receiver
HPS-4000,SR-70, John Allen, Klipsch Heresy, Speakers for L.C.R.
QSC GX-5 power amp for L+R mains
Chase Home Theater PRO-10's for surrounds
Behringer EP 4000 pro amp for the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub
Oppo BDP-93 universal BD player
Toshiba HD XA2 HD dvd player
Sony VW-VPLPRO1 1080p PJ
Cinema White 1.0 gain 106" fixed frame screen
Dish network with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey
post #13 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 01:48 PM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

... don't get me wrong... i love the idea of some awesome experience. DOlby is the defacto standard for sound in most systems. However I think sometimes they like to get a little bold with marketing. As someone stated earlier. This will come down to dollars and sense. Just look at plasma TVs ... they are slowly being phased out and there is no real affordable equivalent on the market currently. Was it a marketing fail ?

How come THX never made it into home theaters like Dolby ?
post #14 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
Just look at plasma TVs ... they are slowly being phased out and there is no real affordable equivalent on the market currently. Was it a marketing fail ?

Plasma is a simple victim of high cost of adaptation to 4K technology and issues with power consumption levels of larger sets. Perhaps Pioneer bowed out earlier in the game due to financial reasons associated with their display costs...but more recent eliminations came at the hands of future trends.

I wouldn't disagree with your premise, though...it really comes down to available consumer dollars. That being said, if you think you might be in the market for a new AVR, I'd pay attention to which ones will accept Atmos firmware upgrades. It would be a shame to miss out on a potentially impactful feature. ;-)
post #15 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 03:24 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
fschris wrote: View Post
You've never seen THX on consumer gear over the last quarter century?

Sanjay
post #16 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 04:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
You'll have the option to add on modules to your current speaker configuration. The specifics of Atmos labeled speakers are a little fuzzy at this point... perhaps there will be side channels that are essential a rear channel and Atmos module in one? And ceiling specific speakers?

Still a little early to tell. We'll know more as Fall approaches.
I think the idea behind Atmos-specific speakers is that they will be placed on top of your front speakers and fire to the ceiling to create a reflection that will simulate the presence of a speaker on the ceiling. For those who cannot install an actual speaker on or in the ceiling.

And probably the reason they are specifically designed for Atmos is dispersion. If you're going to do something like this, you would want to use a speaker with the narrowest possible dispersion. As much as possible, you want the sound directed only to the spot on the ceiling it needs to reflect off of to hit the listening area. Otherwise, some of the sounds that are supposed to come from the ceiling will appear to originate (at least in part) from your front speakers, or from all over the ceiling. That wouldn't be pretty.

IMO it's a bandaid approach, and I would be going with actual on-ceiling speakers if I were to implement an Atmos system.
post #17 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
I think the idea behind Atmos-specific speakers is that they will be placed on top of your front speakers and fire to the ceiling to create a reflection that will simulate the presence of a speaker on the ceiling. For those who cannot install an actual speaker on or in the ceiling.

And probably the reason they are specifically designed for Atmos is dispersion. If you're going to do something like this, you would want to use a speaker with the narrowest possible dispersion. As much as possible, you want the sound directed only to the spot on the ceiling it needs to reflect off of to hit the listening area. Otherwise, some of the sounds that are supposed to come from the ceiling will appear to originate (at least in part) from your front speakers, or from all over the ceiling. That wouldn't be pretty.

IMO it's a bandaid approach, and I would be going with actual on-ceiling speakers if I were to implement an Atmos system.
Yes, there will be add-on modules (where they are place has not yet been specified, as far as I know). But they are also going to produce Atmos labeled speakers that I believe are stand alone units.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of products begin to roll out.

I'd love to see some kind of speaker array that can deployed on a ceiling. It will be fun to see what happens...
post #18 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 04:46 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Onkyo seems to envision speakers on the top of your existing front left and right, and back left and right, speakers, as you can see here. They even have a very small speaker module you can buy from them to do it.

Obviously not the only way to do it, and I'm sure others will come up with different ways too. Should be interesting to see how this fleshes out.

Either way, I'm extremely interested in setting up a system like this. My ideal configuration (which to my knowledge is not coming immediately) would be to have what would be called 9.1.4 in the new terminology. Meaning, a standard 7.1 setup plus two pairs of on-ceiling speakers and a pair of wide (or forward-side surround) speakers between the front LR and the side LR. Seems to me that filling in the gap between front and side surrounds is at least as important as adding the height dimension.

It was reported that Denon would have a couple of models this fall with 13.1 pre-outs, which got me excited about being able to do this. But it turns out that the units will only process 11 channels simultaneously. I guess I'll have to wait, or settle for a "mere" 9.1.2 or 7.1.4.
post #19 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 04:57 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I think we all like the surround experiance...that's why we are here talking about it. I think these speaker "add on's" will be for budget minded folks that don't care about quality IMHO. And there are none in production currently, Dolby is just requesting designs as of now. I can't imagine putting a seperate speaker on top on one of my mains & not getting frequency responce changes. To get the real affect, we will need four, timber matched ceiling speakers with eleven channel of amplification. I don't know how that will work in my room. Dispersion above the riser is going to be a challenge (getting very close to the listeners head in the rear row). I assume the would have to be toe'd in to help.

And I don't see any suppport for multiple subs in any units currently. Many of us are using at least 2, or more. That will have to change if that is correct.

fschris wrote:

Quote:
THX is close to announcing their own surround processing format. It will have to be good to compete with Dolby.
post #20 of 115 Old 06-27-14, 05:09 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Indeed, for those of us who value high fidelity, I don't think it makes sense to rely on a ceiling reflection. There are several issues. It will be very difficult to have a small speaker timbre-matched with the rest of your speakers, and even if it was, the sound would no longer be timbre-matched after the reflection off the ceiling.

It looks like a few of the Denon models do have 2 pre-outs for subwoofers. Whether they are tied together or independently configurable it doesn't say.