Dolby Atmos is coming Home! - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 115 Old 07-16-14, 11:32 AM
Shackster
Maikel

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Do you mean a comparison of 2D sound (speakers around him) vs 3D sound (speakers around and above him)?
Exactly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 115 Old 07-16-14, 11:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Re: Dolby Atmos is coming Home!

Quote:
maikeldepotter wrote: View Post
It seems this demonstration did not include a direct comparison between 7.2 and 7.2.4 in the very same room. That is a pity, as the reviewer could not differentiate between the sound effect of the room (undoubtedly super optimized by Dolby) and what Atmos is actually doing to the 7.2 surround sound.
This is true. However, "the reviewer" is quite well versed in all things home theater, and has likely heard a lot of systems and configurations. I would have expected that it would be difficult to impress him, and yet it appears that he was in fact blown away by the experience. This makes me even more excited to hear a demo at CEDIA, and hopefully it will be well-set-up in a room not on the showroom floor.
post #83 of 115 Old 07-16-14, 12:20 PM
Senior Shackster

The main comparison that Dolby seemed to want to make was between real height speakers and virtual height speakers, hence playing back the Atmos trailers both ways. The reviewer had always expressed that virtual heights were a compromise. Now that he heard them, his biggest surprise seems to have been how little of a compromise they really are.

Sanjay
post #84 of 115 Old 07-16-14, 12:41 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Hey guys, thanks for your earlier input regarding my questions. I did get the podcast to load that gazoink linked. What a pleasure to listen to. 1st off, for me, a bunch of questions were answered. 2nd, after listening to them describe their experiences, I'm much less skeptical, and actually excited to experience this. However the left side of my ceiling is 9.5', and in the direct center of my kitchen/LR(the right side of my "theatre") is 12.5', I think I'll be waiting longer than most to come up with a solution. I also read sanjays link to the British reviewers experience. Very interesting read. Bkeeler, I enjoyed your thoughts as well, so thanks and hey!(in a whatup way).
post #85 of 115 Old 07-16-14, 12:58 PM
Shackster
Maikel

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
The main comparison that Dolby seemed to want to make was between real height speakers and virtual height speakers, hence playing back the Atmos trailers both ways. The reviewer had always expressed that virtual heights were a compromise. Now that he heard them, his biggest surprise seems to have been how little of a compromise they really are.
Still, without experiencing in the same session this net effect of the height speakers (whether real or virtual), it is difficult to assess this observed small compromise: If this net effect is small / huge, the small difference between virtual and real will not be a surprise / will be a huge surprise. I also wonder how important the "treatments running front to back down the centre of the ceiling" are for the effectiveness of virtual height speakers....
post #86 of 115 Old 07-16-14, 01:09 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
maikeldepotter wrote: View Post
I also wonder how important the "treatments running front to back down the centre of the ceiling" are for the effectiveness of virtual height speakers....
Important to the extent that it pokes a hole in the myth that virtual height speakers require an untreated ceiling.

Sanjay
post #87 of 115 Old 09-03-14, 10:23 PM
Shackster

Personally I'm excited about this new format and waiting to get the four ceiling speakers mounted and give it a whirl. My initial problem is my Yamaha CX-A5000BL Peramp is not configured for Dolby Atmos and I'm in a holding pattern to see what they are going to do if anything to upgrade the processor. I'm hoping Yamaha will offer an upgrade seeing how the newly designed flagship and already supports 11.2 which would be nice to adjust the height speaker locations to overhead to support this format @ 7.2.4.
post #88 of 115 Old 09-04-14, 11:35 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Dave, I'm excited about this new surround experience too, moreso than 4k, and certainly 3D. I'll cross my fingers for you, hoping for an upgrade, but I somehow have a feeling that most manufacturers will just give the option of buying an entirely new receiver/processor. It seems like it would be a fairly complex upgrate to integrate, even with an amp-assignable unit.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #89 of 115 Old 09-04-14, 11:56 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

For the most part, unless the unit was designed with Atmos in mind, it won't be firmware upgradeable for Atmos. There are a few units from Denon and Onkyo, for example, that were released earlier this year that will be upgraded. The Yamaha Aventage 1040, 2040 and 3040 also will be since they were designed with that in mind, and those units are due for their firmware upgrade some time this month IIRC. I don't know for sure about the A5000, but have not heard that it will be.

The issue is the hardware I believe. Atmos requires more processing power, so if your unit doesn't have DSP chips capable enough to handle the load, it's a no go.

Looking forward to hearing Atmos demos at CEDIA in a week!
post #90 of 115 Old 09-08-14, 09:59 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Yep, Bryan is right, it seems the big issue is available processing power, and if a receiver wasn't designed specifically for Atmos then it isn't compatible. After doing some more reading around here, I also remembered that is the reason many of the new Onkyo receivers have dropped Audyssey. Too much processing between the two means they'd need more expensive hardware to use both.

It seems like a funny time to be short on processing power, given that we should have it in abundance. What happened to Moore's Law!?

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter