Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 101 Old 07-08-14, 12:03 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I'll just continue to use and enjoy my 809 as long as it lasts. I've had zero problems with it so far and had Onkyo not dropped Audyssey I would have had no reservations about purchasing another AVR from them. As long as it's still available the next AVR I purchase will have XT32 so it does appear I'll be switching brands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 101 Old 07-08-14, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530)

It's interesting that one of the more common knocks on Pioneer's excellent MCACC suite has been the lack of sub EQ. This year, for the first time, Pioneer introduced sub EQ (limited, yes...but they are working in the right direction)...Onkyo is currently working through a deal to acquire a majority holding of Pioneer...and Onkyo's 2014 class dumps support of sub EQ.

I don't think anyone saw this coming...

post #13 of 101 Old 07-08-14, 12:39 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
At this point Onkyo’s decision to remove Audyssey from its AV gear is old news;
What? Not to me it wasn't!

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I for one dislike the fact that the "accuEQ" only touches the soround channels. I think there are very few gains by doing this as I would much prefer it if they EQed the front three channels and the sub and did nothing on the soround ch's.
I totally agree, that seems like a strange place to focus. Changing only the surrounds seems to me more like an ambiance mode than actual room correction, since it leaves the main sources untouched. I'm confused by this.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #14 of 101 Old 07-08-14, 02:41 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I for one dislike the fact that the "accuEQ" only touches the soround channels.
According to the Onkyo website, they also EQ the centre channel. It is only the L/R channels and subwoofer output that are not EQ'd.

The way it does the surrounds is unfortunate, using one EQ curve for all 4 surround channels (must be based on averaging the surrounds). That leads me to believe they are not really interested in correcting peaks & dips in each channel as much as conforming the surrounds and centre to the uncorrected L/R speakers. More like using EQ for tonal consistency (timbre matching) than traditional room correction.

Sanjay
post #15 of 101 Old 07-08-14, 03:54 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
In order to run both Atmos and Audyssey, they would have to double the number of DSP chips from 2 to 4. Denon bit the bullet and did exactly that. Onkyo kept their receivers at 2 chips, Audyssey had to go. So it came down to money, though not the Audyssey licensing fee as some had suspected.
I agree. In my first post I mentioned that for Onkyo it was the bottom line. I would rather they use more chips and charge more than to take away something that as far as I am concerned was one of their best options.

Onkyo TX-NR809 HT receiver
HPS-4000,SR-70, John Allen, Klipsch Heresy, Speakers for L.C.R.
QSC GX-5 power amp for L+R mains
Chase Home Theater PRO-10's for surrounds
Behringer EP 4000 pro amp for the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub
Oppo BDP-93 universal BD player
Toshiba HD XA2 HD dvd player
Sony VW-VPLPRO1 1080p PJ
Cinema White 1.0 gain 106" fixed frame screen
Dish network with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey
post #16 of 101 Old 07-08-14, 04:19 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
tcarcio wrote: View Post
I would rather they use more chips and charge more than to take away something that as far as I am concerned was one of their best options.
Agreed, it's not an either/or situation. I wouldn't want object-based audio of that audio was full of peaks & dips.

Still, after Audyssey being in the market for so many years, it feels strange to see them only have one major customer (D&M). How could they let this happen?

Sanjay
post #17 of 101 Old 07-08-14, 11:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Agreed, it's not an either/or situation. I wouldn't want object-based audio of that audio was full of peaks & dips.

Still, after Audyssey being in the market for so many years, it feels strange to see them only have one major customer (D&M). How could they let this happen?
Good point...!?
Maybe they were charging to much for the use of their algorithms....

Either way maybe I'll try the anthem..... I've been curious for a while

Eq-ing the surrounds is a Sony option... and they at least gave you 3 different Eq choices not 1
Onkyo must be using the money to buy Pioneer

Last edited by magic; 07-08-14 at 11:20 PM.
post #18 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 01:41 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I pretty much agree with all you guys too. Jbrax, I think skipping THX cert would be worthwhile if it meant keeping Audyssey, and maybe adding xt32 to lower tiered models(not sure how that would play with the new audyssey level system though).
THX gets you pretty much nothing anymore that you can't get another way. THX-specific processing is largely duplicated by other means. THX certification used to be some sort of quality assurance, but one of the highest quality product lines (Denon) hasn't had a THX product in years.

The Onkyo decision is misguided, if guided at all. Apportioning DSP resources to Atmos over Audyssey? The facts are, very few will add Atmos speakers, or even know what it is. Audyssey benefits everyone, regardless of channel count. It's just dumb to take a giant step backwards and make room for something that's not even reality yet.

I'v'e set up Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer and several flavors of Audyssey. None come close to the current X32 version of Audyssey, and some (Sony) are a total joke.
post #19 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 02:15 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Completely agree!
post #20 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 07:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
gazoink wrote: View Post
THX gets you pretty much nothing anymore that you can't get another way. THX-specific processing is largely duplicated by other means. THX certification used to be some sort of quality assurance, but one of the highest quality product lines (Denon) hasn't had a THX product in years.
THX is still meaningful. Onkyo has always done much better in bench tests and particularly the Ultra 2 certification is not easy to achieve. Onkyo has had it's HDMI board issues but their amp section has always been the cream of the crop.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900