Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530) - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 08:13 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Re: Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530)

Scratching my head on this one. Been an devoted Onkyo customer for many years. I will hold on to my 5508 with XT32 for as long as possible. I'm not really interested in Atmos & will probably not add ATmos speakers. Onkyo dropped the ball on this one. XT32 is one of the main reasons I got the 5508. Agreed with Tony at least provide EQ support for the front 3 channels & forgo the surrounds. IMHO this is 3 steps backwards.

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 08:19 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

From a different side of the fence I see dropping the Audessey as no great loss.
Looking here (and other forums) there are a lot of people that turn off the room correction when listening to music. I never can get my head wrapped around that, either on or off should sound better all the time.
The second most popular HT forum has a dedicated Audessey thread that is hundreds of pages with some very smart and dedicated contributors that try to help/explain/troubleshoot issues....it's not nearly as plug-n-play as the public needs it to be (nor is any other EQ scheme).
While I have no direct experience with the top tier Audessey my brother has a Denon AVR and I do not find the Audessey in it to be any better or worse than the Pioneer MCACC.
Some of this is a preference thing, he really likes the dynamic volume and EQ, I decidedly do not, but I visit my brother regularly and get used to it after a short while.
The higher levels of MCACC have a front align calibration that does what the new Onk EQ is going to do.
I have been using that calibration for over two years with no additional adjustments.

The future of HT audio still looks bright to me.
post #23 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 08:20 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

I like THX certification too.
post #24 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 09:39 AM
HTS Reviewer

I have been a little surprised to see almost every response to Onkyo's decision being that a lack of Audyssey is a complete deal-breaker. I do definitely see merit in room correction and EQ for both music and HT applications, but not essential to me for my current setup. Disclaimer: My HT is uniformly shaped with pretty ideal and completely symmetric speaker placement. I have found that if I take the time to set the speaker distances and levels and play around with sub placement a bit, the additional improvements of basic room correction are pretty subtle (though measurable with REW). Dislaimer: I have yet to use XT32 in my system. Like chashint, I prefer to leave dynamic EQ disabled, and usually end up leaving room correction off completely.

Going beyond the enthusiast crowd, I would be willing to bet your average consumer does not even know room correction exists in AV receivers, much less what it does or how to set it up. Maybe I'm wrong. I gather for many of the commenters in the recent Onkyo threads that room correction is the #1 deciding factor in choosing an AV receiver. Is that true? If so, again I'm surprised. I wonder what percentage of Onkyo's customers consider Audyssey essential, and what percentage don't know or care about it. Some are suggesting this move will trigger a big drop in Onkyo's sales, but I'm skeptical.

Again, I'm not trying to say room correction is not valuable (especially in irregularly shaped rooms) or that Audyssey isn't the best. It just seems more like a very sophisticated band-aid than a replacement for a properly treated and set up room.
post #25 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 09:47 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Maybe I'm in the minority but I think THX certification is an unnecessary expense and as far as I'm concerned they can keep that logo. The listening modes are nice to have but I quit using THX Cinema long ago and much prefer straight decoding of my movies. Any AVR that doesn't include Audyssey is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
post #26 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 10:37 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

Impressive spec's until you see yet another poor attempt at proprietary room EQ. Massive cutting corner's decision. For those that do not see value in modern RCS like Audyssey there have always been other options (like simply turning it off) but for those that utilize it and appreciate it there is now one less option on the table.
post #27 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 01:31 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
I have been a little surprised to see almost every response to Onkyo's decision being that a lack of Audyssey is a complete deal-breaker. I do definitely see merit in room correction and EQ for both music and HT applications, but not essential to me for my current setup. Disclaimer: My HT is uniformly shaped with pretty ideal and completely symmetric speaker placement. I have found that if I take the time to set the speaker distances and levels and play around with sub placement a bit, the additional improvements of basic room correction are pretty subtle (though measurable with REW). Dislaimer: I have yet to use XT32 in my system. Like chashint, I prefer to leave dynamic EQ disabled, and usually end up leaving room correction off completely. Going beyond the enthusiast crowd, I would be willing to bet your average consumer does not even know room correction exists in AV receivers, much less what it does or how to set it up. Maybe I'm wrong. I gather for many of the commenters in the recent Onkyo threads that room correction is the #1 deciding factor in choosing an AV receiver. Is that true? If so, again I'm surprised. I wonder what percentage of Onkyo's customers consider Audyssey essential, and what percentage don't know or care about it. Some are suggesting this move will trigger a big drop in Onkyo's sales, but I'm skeptical. Again, I'm not trying to say room correction is not valuable (especially in irregularly shaped rooms) or that Audyssey isn't the best. It just seems more like a very sophisticated band-aid than a replacement for a properly treated and set up room.
Hello Peter! I have to agree with the band-aid thing, except I think you may be in the fortunate minority. Most(?) of us here I think are stuck with the rooms we've got. (For now at least). My living room supports a 7.3 ch setup now, and my WAF is at redline! Lol. I don't have a room/resources to do a proper space. That means I have to use some correction, and Audyssey Is great at treating my disgustingly inappropriate theater space. I think your also right about customer base, and the knowledge or caring to know what audyssey means. But many of those people are much less knowledgeable than even myself, and if I can give the nod to an audyssey equipped piece, it can help maximize their investment, and keep them interested on the hobby. Especially since the majority of ppl I know, have to contend with a less than optimal space. I too leave dynamicEQ off almost always, but it's nice once in awhile, and also try to work with placement as much as I can. As far as deal breaker, I can only speak for myself, but I might be ok to try a different eq suite, but the real problem is accuEQ. To my knowledge it hasn't been tested widely, and most of what we know sounds ridiculous, and ineffective. I am willing to be corrected however. Hard to say if it will effect the bottom line. I think that will be dictated by those who buy/install/recommend Onkyo products. IMO, the biggest violation isn't removing Audyssey, it's implementing accuEQ!
...just my .02!
post #28 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 01:36 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority but I think THX certification is an unnecessary expense and as far as I'm concerned they can keep that logo. The listening modes are nice to have but I quit using THX Cinema long ago and much prefer straight decoding of my movies. Any AVR that doesn't include Audyssey is pretty much a deal breaker for me.
I think I'm finding this to be true now as well. When I bought my 808, THX cert was a big deal to me. This was mostly for the power capabilities however. Even though I knew from reading many tests that it was capable anyway. I don't like thx listening modes either. I like it straight up, with an Audyssey chaser! I would much rather they put the cert money into something else.
post #29 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 02:22 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
gazoink wrote: View Post
THX gets you pretty much nothing anymore that you can't get another way. THX-specific processing is largely duplicated by other means. THX certification used to be some sort of quality assurance, but one of the highest quality product lines (Denon) hasn't had a THX product in years. The Onkyo decision is misguided, if guided at all. Apportioning DSP resources to Atmos over Audyssey? The facts are, very few will add Atmos speakers, or even know what it is. Audyssey benefits everyone, regardless of channel count. It's just dumb to take a giant step backwards and make room for something that's not even reality yet. I'v'e set up Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer and several flavors of Audyssey. None come close to the current X32 version of Audyssey, and some (Sony) are a total joke.
agreed. I'd say Onkyo is "UN" guided as well. If they are choosing to support Atmos over audyssey, this seems like "cart before the horse" move. I'm afraid a very small percent of normal/shared/multi purpose listening rooms will ever see atmos anything at work in it, and probably not many more dedicated spaces. At least for a long time. This is the ceiling in my LR. 12 cans, and 2 hvac outlets. Even in ceiling speakers would make this look like a bad Home Depot display! ...and my wife held my feet to the fire, and say more speakers. Aw...And also "atmos speakers" on the mains and surrounds? I don't think I could get them to fire properly to create the effect right, with my roof angle. I'm afraid I'm out.
I agree xt32 is where it's at, although I've not used ypao, but didn't like mcacc. Sony has never offered anything but ps3 for me either.
Attached Thumbnails
Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530)-image-2760807381.jpg  

post #30 of 101 Old 07-09-14, 02:27 PM
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Hello Peter! I have to agree with the band-aid thing, except I think you may be in the fortunate minority. Most(?) of us here I think are stuck with the rooms we've got. (For now at least). My living room supports a 7.3 ch setup now, and my WAF is at redline! Lol. I don't have a room/resources to do a proper space. That means I have to use some correction, and Audyssey Is great at treating my disgustingly inappropriate theater space. I think your also right about customer base, and the knowledge or caring to know what audyssey means. But many of those people are much less knowledgeable than even myself, and if I can give the nod to an audyssey equipped piece, it can help maximize their investment, and keep them interested on the hobby. Especially since the majority of ppl I know, have to contend with a less than optimal space. I too leave dynamicEQ off almost always, but it's nice once in awhile, and also try to work with placement as much as I can. As far as deal breaker, I can only speak for myself, but I might be ok to try a different eq suite, but the real problem is accuEQ. To my knowledge it hasn't been tested widely, and most of what we know sounds ridiculous, and ineffective. I am willing to be corrected however. Hard to say if it will effect the bottom line. I think that will be dictated by those who buy/install/recommend Onkyo products. IMO, the biggest violation isn't removing Audyssey, it's implementing accuEQ!
...just my .02!
And that's where I see the value of Audyssey or any room correction/EQ. I think it's a shame to alter the sound of a speaker (carefully designed for accurate audio reproduction) to mask the imperfections of a room (not even remotely designed for good acoustics), but it's a whole lot easier (and more WAF friendly) to set up a mic, push a button, and let the AVR fix it. I do consider myself fortunate to have a pretty ideal space for HT. For that reason I am focusing more on acoustic treatments in the room, speaker placement, and seating arrangement. Now throw Atmos into the mix...