Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530) - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 101 Old 07-10-14, 08:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Brandon

My System
Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Touché! The best we've got is BB. The boneheads in my store can't even spell ISF...:-(
VE can calibrate and ship the set to you. It's a good service they make sure the display works properly and then calibrate and ship to those of us who need it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 101 Old 07-10-14, 08:44 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
B- one wrote: View Post
VE can calibrate and ship the set to you. It's a good service they make sure the display works properly and then calibrate and ship to those of us who need it!
Thx for the tip! Robert seems great, and that is a good service. I will most definitely call them when the time comes.
post #53 of 101 Old 07-10-14, 09:07 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
A good question that probably applies to any type of electronics. How many people calibrate their TV rather than assuming default settings are best?
That's a bit different because it requires another monetary investment after you've just dropped a lot of money for the tv.
post #54 of 101 Old 07-10-14, 09:34 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530)

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, I don't think the decision to drop Audyssey was related to licensing or the idea that "nobody uses it anyway". It do think that DSP resources may have driven it, as Atmos would take a bit of DSP, and to do both Audyssey and Atmos would require another set of DSP chips, and would run the price up. Every part's cost is reflected in the end price by a 5-10X factor, plus development costs. A pair $5 DSP chip could bump the price as much as $50-$100, and that takes the Onkyo product out of it's price niche.

What I think was misguided is the over-emphasis on Atmos when it's not likely to be used at home even as much as Audyssey, though Dolby, and the film studios that release Atmos tracks certainly have more resources to promote (read: educate the buying public) as to the availability of Atmos and its benefits. I still don't see many shelling out for more speakers when the middle of the bell curve for home media systems is still less than 5 channels.
post #55 of 101 Old 07-10-14, 09:41 PM
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
That's a bit different because it requires another monetary investment after you've just dropped a lot of money for the tv.
Agreed, plus it's not affected by the size or shape of the room. I think those that don't bother with calibration/correction of any sort simply don't think it's worth the investment (money or time) to find out what they're missing, and probably assume they won't hear or see a difference.
post #56 of 101 Old 07-11-14, 10:43 PM
Senior Shackster

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...ce=indexBanner

FYI
They have the video up that explains the
Eq they are using.( it's a short explanation)
post #57 of 101 Old 07-11-14, 11:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
magic wrote: View Post
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...ce=indexBanner

FYI
They have the video up that explains the
Eq they are using.( it's a short explanation)
Well...the video...Wow! It's an amazing multi-layered amalgamation of complete and utter nonsense! I hardly know where to start...so I'm not going to.

Except to say, "...while letting the natural sound sound of your front speakers to shine through". And if you buy that, I've got a great deal for you on this bridge in Brooklyn... So...um...what if my front speakers ain't so natural...do they still shine through?

Hopeless. Somebody drank the koolaid.
post #58 of 101 Old 07-12-14, 01:04 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...36-av-receiver

Didn't cover accuEQ as much as I was hoping for, but it's somethin. My take away was he seemed underwhelmed.
post #59 of 101 Old 07-12-14, 08:41 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

The vast majority of the employees where I work are electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and chemical engineers.....educated, capable, and pretty well compensated geeks.
Believe me, the few that even bother to get surround sound are barely willing to connect all the speakers that come in the box (yes HTIB rules when they even bother at all).
They do buy expensive TVs and projectors with giant screens though.
IMO if the auto EQ system manages to set the speaker levels correctly that is more than good enough for the average consumer.
post #60 of 101 Old 07-12-14, 03:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
This still doesn't make sense to me? The topic seems worthy of having its own thread. Why educated, well compensated, and tech savvy individuals would not place a premium on the audio aspect. This of course after spending a good deal of money on the video side of the experience.