Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530) - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 101 Old 07-12-14, 10:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530)

It's unlikely we'll ever have the statistics as to how many new AVRs get run through auto-setup. Here are a couple of observations.

Onkyo AVRs, at least until the current non-Audyssey version, run the user through the setup menu the first time the unit is turned on, just after language selection. Yes, you can skip it, but the tendency is to follow on-screen prompts.

Denon AVRs are a little different, but the initial setup on-screen menu routes the user through auto-cal, and the easy-setup instructions direct users to Audyssey immediately after speaker connection. The setup is started by plugging the measurement mic in.

I don't recall what Yamaha does, but if I recall Pioneer routes new users through the auto-setup procedure on start-up.

It would take more willful effort to skip the process than to just follow the directions on screen. Not to say that the majority of AVR purchasers actually do a valid auto-cal, but it may be a more significant number than we synics expect.

Regardless, we'll never know, there's no practical way to collect the statistics.

Except for Audyssey Pro calibrations...which can send results to Audyssey, so they do know that number. It's small considering the total market. A 2010 AES paper by Tomlinson Holman utilized a small part of the total data collected. At that time the paper was being prepared they had pre-equalization curves for more than 30,000 rooms, the paper distilled data down to 1000 rooms for practicality. The total data may easily comprise more than double that now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 05:49 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

I am terrible at being able to predict how much someone will value a feature or complain about its omission, so I can only add my own opinion to the discussion.

Being one who a) puts a high priority on good sound, b) likes to have options available (irreversible decisions are SO hard for me), c) have heard some pretty impressive results with Audyssey, d) have not heard the other competing AVR auto-eq offerings, but have no reason to doubt the consensus that Audyssey is the best of them, and do not follow the logic AT ALL in Onkyo's new approach, e) prefer other tuning methods for 2 channel, but would definitely use Audyssey on a dedicated home theater system (it is just SO convenient), and f) tend to be fairly brand loyal, but if they do not offer a feature that I want, will switch brands to get it...

All of these factors considered, if I was spending $1000 on a new AVR, it would definitely have Audyssey inside, and I would have to leave Onkyo behind as my favored AVR manufacturer for that reason. So based on my own little single data point poll, Onkyo's decision does not seem like a good move to me.
post #73 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 09:32 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Well said Wayne. +1.
post #74 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 02:48 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

If the AVRs now automatically direct new users/units into the auto cal routine on initial power up I think that is a fantastic step in the right direction.
My AVR initiates the setup when the mic is plugged in, but does not do anything to prompt that action on initial power up.

It is interesting to me that the rest of the forum members may be having different experiences in regards to their associates/friends/co-workers putting lots more money into the video half of their entertainment systems than the audio half.
post #75 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 03:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Agree with the above comments by Wayne. ^^+2
post #76 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 03:57 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
It is interesting to me that the rest of the forum members may be having different experiences in regards to their associates/friends/co-workers putting lots more money into the video half of their entertainment systems than the audio half.
Yes I guess so but if you look back it has been going on for a long time.

1) WAF= large TV is OK but big speakers around the room isn't. I remember trying to get the old 32 inch CRT the ones that stuck out like 2.5 feet from the wall and we're are you going to put it comment came.

But now that you can mount it on the wall well its OK go and get the 60 inch one. So that's what a lot of men did and yea.. the picture was nicer too.

2) Then their is the learning curve to using the remote control...too bad they can't all universally come out with something that works across all platforms( yes I have a logitech but still .....)

Edit.. learning cure for TV and receiver and cable/sat box

Back to Onkyo I don't know what to say about their move to be honest.... I can only think that they are planning to use Pioneers Mcacc after they aquire it. So year after year they will add more features to their own

Last edited by magic; 07-13-14 at 04:03 PM.
post #77 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 04:55 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
If the AVRs now automatically direct new users/units into the auto cal routine on initial power up I think that is a fantastic step in the right direction.
My AVR initiates the setup when the mic is plugged in, but does not do anything to prompt that action on initial power up.
YOU would only see the initial setup menu the very first time the unit was powered up, or after a processor reset. Otherwise, most AVRs with Audyssey get the cal menu when the mic is connected.
post #78 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 07:35 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
I think this is interesting too. I've seen all kinds The factors seem to be, priorities,ambition, and knowledge. Demographics seem to matter little. Some don't know/care how much audio contributes to the experience. Sometimes they find out too late, after installing their htib in a 5000 cuft theater, with 130" screen and not having enough money/time or WAF to redo it. Sometimes they live in "bliss", not knowing anything beyond BB or B**e even exist. Sometimes people are just lazy, letting their credit card do all the work.(and still not run Audyssey! Lol) My own unfortunate(?) reality is that my audio system is well above the impact level of my 58" plasma. (That will change though someday)
Having the user guided into auto setup is great. Maybe they should do an auto reminder thing every 5 minutes like antivirus ware, or adobe updates til the user goes through it. ...maybe I shouldn't care what other people do?

Last edited by AudiocRaver; 07-13-14 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added bracket to tag for readability.
post #79 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 08:53 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Maybe they should do an auto reminder thing every 5 minutes like antivirus ware, or adobe updates til the user goes through it. ...
no...... !!!!!! I would loose it.
:0 don't give them ideas they wouldn't get it right.

I can see it now I'm watching a movie and I've already done the setup months in and just then the pop up apears ...
New update please run auto setup.

Don't laugh you know I'm right !!!!!

post #80 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 09:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
magic wrote: View Post
no...... !!!!!! I would loose it. :0 don't give them ideas they wouldn't get it right. I can see it now I'm watching a movie and I've already done the setup months in and just then the pop up apears ... New update please run auto setup. Don't laugh you know I'm right !!!!!
Totally agree!