Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530) - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 101 Old 07-13-14, 10:40 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
Totally agree!
sorry guys, I'm laughing so hard right now! I never thought of that. Back to the drawing board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 101 Old 07-14-14, 09:14 AM
Shackster

lvc10000

My System
Re: Onkyo Hits the Summer with High-End Gear (TX-NR3030, TX-NR1030, PR-SC5530)

Last edited by lvc10000; 07-14-14 at 11:18 AM.
post #83 of 101 Old 07-14-14, 09:33 AM
Shackster

lvc10000

My System

Gentlemen,

Though I agree with you concerning the decision to change from Audyssey (even if I bypass to pure"st" modes for 2 channel listening), could I change the subject and ask you a question or opinion relating to these Onkyo AVRs?

I am waiting for the latest releases to upgrade my SR7007 but am slightly concerned that only Onkyo seems to be the only one incorporating HDCP2.2 in this year's AVRs. Wouldn't that give you some possible issues when material becomes available in a coming year(s)?
(If my memory isn't failing me; I remember Joel Silver in January mentioning in my presence that HDCP 2.2 is clearly on the horizon and coming as the industry is gearing for it)
Wouldn't that possibly be a deal breaker also for the resale of these latest high-end HDMI 2.0 AVRs without HDCP2.2 capability a few years down the line?

Am I possibly wrong to look at such details?
(Ok, I normally invest in the higher end AVRs and keep them a 4-5 years min )

Last edited by lvc10000; 07-14-14 at 11:31 AM.
post #84 of 101 Old 07-14-14, 11:24 AM
Shackster

lvc10000

My System

I've now actually started a new tread on the topic to have your feedback: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...right-now.html
post #85 of 101 Old 07-15-14, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
gazoink wrote: View Post
Is this a guess or a reference of hard statistics?

Probably not worth debating based on a guess...but if there are references for this, it would be helpful.
Total guess...primarily based on experience with friends and family.
post #86 of 101 Old 07-24-14, 08:23 AM
Shackster

My System

So I think itís out there now that Onkyo chose Atmos over XT32 because its architecture cannot handle processing both. So my conspiracy theory is Onkyo may not be the immediate bad guy. But somewhere buried deep in a contract clause Onkyo is required to carry Atmos as a requirement of carrying any dolby product. I can imagine a receiver without out xt32 (barely) but no dolby processing? Onkyo would be in real trouble.

After doing some research on accu eq, and seeing that it is basically a joke, Iím willing to give Onkyo the benefit of the doubt and say they got caught with their pants down and accu eq is just a stop gap measure (just to have something in there). If accu eq sticks around it will be wearing mmacc cloths soon enough, but I expect onkyo is gambling on weathering the storm for a year, and that next year new architecture will be present and so will xt 32.

DIY Dedicated Screening Room:/5-6 Person (1 row) Capacity; Double Layer 5/8 DW & Green Glue Sandwich Construction; 5.2 + Heights; Mains: Aperion Audio Grand Verus Bookshelves; Center:Aperion Grand Verus); Surrounds:Polk RC85i In-walls; Heights: Polk MC65 In-walls; Subsual DIY Dayton UM 15s tuned to 20hz in 6.2 ft^3 Enclosure; Projector:Epson UB5010; Screen: Elite Screens Sable 120" Fixed; Receiver: Onkyo TX NR3009; Outboard Amp:: Inuke 3000 DSP (for Subs); Sources: PS3; HD-DVD.
post #87 of 101 Old 07-24-14, 12:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Don Draper wrote: View Post
So I think itís out there now that Onkyo chose Atmos over XT32 because its architecture cannot handle processing both. So my conspiracy theory is Onkyo may not be the immediate bad guy. But somewhere buried deep in a contract clause Onkyo is required to carry Atmos as a requirement of carrying any dolby product.
Interesting idea, but probably not. No manufacturer would sign that contract because "any" Dolby product would mean PLII and up, and there are too many products without the hardware resources to do everything. I doubt Atmos was a requirement of any license other than Atmos.

Quote:
I can imagine a receiver without out xt32 (barely) but no dolby processing? Onkyo would be in real trouble.
Me either, yet there are more AVRs in the world without XT32 than with it by quite a ratio.
Quote:
After doing some research on accu eq, and seeing that it is basically a joke, Iím willing to give Onkyo the benefit of the doubt and say they got caught with their pants down and accu eq is just a stop gap measure (just to have something in there). If accu eq sticks around it will be wearing mmacc cloths soon enough, but I expect onkyo is gambling on weathering the storm for a year, and that next year new architecture will be present and so will xt 32.
I'm still guessing it was a marketing decision to go with Atmos because it already has a theatrical presence (Audyssey doesn't), it will soon have a presence in consumer media (N/A to Audyssey), and manufacturers can place it in consumer hardware. It's a 3-way cross-promotion, so it wins, and I think it was marketing jumping ahead of engineering which couldn't accommodate both in current hardware and maintain the price point.

Short-sighted, yes, but probably not forever. And, if you're watching, Denon's top end new units are not scheduled to land for a few months. Perhaps they are doing some engineering to handle Atmos and Audyssey? Hope so!

Denon, you reading this??
post #88 of 101 Old 07-24-14, 01:07 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
But somewhere buried deep in a contract clause Onkyo is required to carry Atmos as a requirement of carrying any dolby product.
If that was true, then products like their new TX-NR535 receiver couldn't exist (has Dolby surround processing and format decoding, but no Atmos).

Sanjay
post #89 of 101 Old 07-24-14, 01:09 PM
Shackster

My System

Well somebody definitely dropped the ball. But even marketing wise who are they trying to reach. Surely the folks that are die hard enough to even consider speakers over head (that are not mains) would revolt at the loss of xt 32 - I don't know which is worse, the loss or what they replaced it with. It just doesn't make sense.

Either way this is just further proof that enthusiast does not matter. Forget the fact that we early adopt and make the mainstream possible. We get no respect.

DIY Dedicated Screening Room:/5-6 Person (1 row) Capacity; Double Layer 5/8 DW & Green Glue Sandwich Construction; 5.2 + Heights; Mains: Aperion Audio Grand Verus Bookshelves; Center:Aperion Grand Verus); Surrounds:Polk RC85i In-walls; Heights: Polk MC65 In-walls; Subsual DIY Dayton UM 15s tuned to 20hz in 6.2 ft^3 Enclosure; Projector:Epson UB5010; Screen: Elite Screens Sable 120" Fixed; Receiver: Onkyo TX NR3009; Outboard Amp:: Inuke 3000 DSP (for Subs); Sources: PS3; HD-DVD.
post #90 of 101 Old 07-24-14, 01:50 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
If that was true, then products like their new TX-NR535 receiver couldn't exist (has Dolby surround processing and format decoding, but no Atmos).
Oops.. This is true