Value Electronics Crowns Its Kings; LG Forges Ahead with OLED in 4K - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 20 Old 08-30-14, 01:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Value Electronics Crowns Its Kings; LG Forges Ahead with OLED in 4K

Years ago, I purchase a brand new 52" Toshiba rear projection TV that was "HD ready".

A year later the HDMI cable entered into the market for HD TV's. Lo and behold, my HD TV did not have an HDMI connection. So much for "HD ready".

While watching the Flat Panel Shootout this year, Joe Kane and others mentioned that the big problem with UHD/4K is the connectivity. HDMI cables will not be able to carry across what 4K's need to reach their potential. Therefore, another transport will need to be developed once the UHD/4K standards are finally set.

I don't want to be in the same position as I was with the Toshiba "HD Ready" TV and that is to purchase an expensive 4K OLED now and a year later UDH standards are set which includes a new way to connect to the 4K leaving me out, once again, resenting the fact that I might have to purchase all over again.

Which brings me to my question.

Are videophiles a little premature in purchasing a 4K/UHD TV (OLED, LED, LCD) at this time and should wait for the dust to settle?

m
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 08-30-14, 03:32 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

Haha, yeah I still have a Humax HD tuner with HDMI for use with an HD ready T.V. that only had DVI-D. Seems like there is a lot more premature stuff in the video world than the audio. I think DVI was obsolete before it even had a chance to be implemented. If it had not come out prematurely we could have skipped it all together.

Mark
post #13 of 20 Old 08-30-14, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
JimShaw wrote: View Post
Years ago, I purchase a brand new 52" Toshiba rear projection TV that was "HD ready".

A year later the HDMI cable entered into the market for HD TV's. Lo and behold, my HD TV did not have an HDMI connection. So much for "HD ready".

While watching the Flat Panel Shootout this year, Joe Kane and others mentioned that the big problem with UHD/4K is the connectivity. HDMI cables will not be able to carry across what 4K's need to reach their potential. Therefore, another transport will need to be developed once the UHD/4K standards are finally set.

I don't want to be in the same position as I was with the Toshiba "HD Ready" TV and that is to purchase an expensive 4K OLED now and a year later UDH standards are set which includes a new way to connect to the 4K leaving me out, once again, resenting the fact that I might have to purchase all over again.

Are videophiles a little premature in purchasing a 4K/UHD TV (OLED, LED, LCD) at this time and should wait for the dust to settle?

m
I'll be interested to hear what members have to say...

I think pre-HDMI 2.0 UHD purchases were definitely riskier in terms of ease of future compatibility issues...the current crop of UHD TVs (especially ones with external units) are less likely to have issues. However, the numbers from the shootout tell the tale. Frankly, until those numbers flip, it just doesn't make sense to run out and spend money on a tech that is arguably at its price point height. If we're talking projectors...then my personal opinion might shift some. But, for the 50-65 inch display purchases? Seems like jumping in on 4K is another year out.

Thoughts?
post #14 of 20 Old 08-31-14, 08:51 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
JimShaw wrote: View Post

m
Hi Jim,

I'll be waiting for sure, and that there is just one of my reasons. I do think you're on the money that HDMI 2.x just plain lacks the necessary headspace to do UHD properly, but it's also clear to me that the manufacturers, studios, et al are nowhere near a consensus on what to do for UHD or on how to do it. I am waiting for the OLED tech to mature, sure, but I'm especially waiting for an industry consensus to emerge on new standards and new connectivity.

I say you're wise to be a little gunshy right now. I am.

Yours,

David
post #15 of 20 Old 09-01-14, 04:30 PM
Senior Shackster

I e-mailed Robert Zohn my question regrading whether a videophile should wait until the dust settles on UHD standards or go ahead and buy.

Following is his answer back...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the email.

Very good question, sorry to say no one knows the answers. Hereís a few upgrades that guys like Joe Kane and myself are pushing for and that may not be supported by the current UHD panels:

Larger color space, like DCI or rec. 2020. (OLED may be able to hit DCI color or get very close)

HDR, high dynamic range. Typically, this relates to increased brightness. (OLED can be calibrated to over 100fL already, brighter than other display technologies.)

Color sampling 4:4:4 or something higher than the 4:2:0 we currently use for Blu-ray and UHD. (OLED may have some advantages in this area as LGís OLED panels are 10bit, higher bit rate panels help the display to resolve more color depth.)

Higher frame rates. Last year HDMI 1.4 gave us UHD resolution at up to 30fps, but in 2014 we got HDMI 2.0 that supports UHD up to 60fps. (Most 2013 UHD TVs were able to be upgraded to HDMI 2.0 and support UHD at 60fps.)

Most of these advancements require a larger bandwidth carrier and or more efficient compression beyond what HEVC h.265 offers (so this is not likely to happen anytime soon) and weíll need a higher bit rate panel. Currently all if not most panels are 8 bit, but what Joe Kane is proposing would require a 16 bit panel and I donít see that happening for many years. I would be happy with a more realistic upgrade to 12 bit panels.

So with all this said it will also take agreements between the motion picture industury, TV broadcasts and cable providers, and the TV equipment manufacturers to all agree on new standards that must be adopted by the ITU. Not until then can we expect to see some of the advancements listed above.

Hard to say if or when any of this will start to become available, but I donít think itís worth waiting for if you want to start enjoying the benefits of OLED and 4K. In fact, we may see 8K consumer TVs (totally useless in displays smaller than 220Ē) before any of the above referenced upgrades to UHD.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

Robert Zohn
Value Electronics
35 Popham Rd
Scarsdale, NY 10583
914-723-3344

m
post #16 of 20 Old 09-04-14, 10:26 AM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Just received our second allocation of LG's 55EC9300s today!

Inventory is starting to flow in regularly.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #17 of 20 Old 09-04-14, 11:30 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I'm glad to see OLED doing well, at least performance-wise, if not in widespread implementation yet. I love my plasma, and really not crazy about moving to LED for a 2nd bedroom display. Eventually we'll need another "main viewing" TV for the rec room, and I'm hoping that by then OLED will be firmly established.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #18 of 20 Old 09-14-14, 10:15 AM
murphious

Totally agree with the sentiment of "curved" being the new gimmick like "3D".
My 6yr old 40" Pana Viera Plasma is fine and was well under $1k new; I am in no rush to spend much more for the latest tech.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-14-14, 10:24 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I think that curved screens will not last more than a few years before the market has rejected them. That is, unless there is a technical reason to use them that I don't know about, such as for really thin screens it might add some stability in large sizes.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-14-14, 12:04 PM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

LG's curved OLED screens are very minimal and you really don't notice it while watching content. The new 55EC9300 is beautifully designed to be very minimal in all dimensions and styling.

LG's two week sale through Authorized Dealers makes this OLED TV a very compelling offering. Best of all is its most stunning picture quality.

You have to spend some time with an OLED TV to experience and appreciate the image performance that only an OLED panel can deliver.

Here's the details on LG's and our juiced-up offer.

This is a great sale on the latest gen OLED TV.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps