Value Electronics Crowns Its Kings; LG Forges Ahead with OLED in 4K - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 08-29-14, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Value Electronics Crowns Its Kings; LG Forges Ahead with OLED in 4K

OLED (pronounced O-led; organic light-emitting diode) technology has been the next darling-in-waiting for years, making just enough noise to be noticed but seemingly forever in development. Meanwhile, LCD tech has become an industry favorite, helping to kill plasma and remaining the go to choice to bring Ultra HD to market.

Much to the excitement of enthusiasts yearning for infinite blacks and limitless contrast ratios, Samsung and LG spent the last year releasing several OLED displays with high-end price tags to match their allure. The big question remains: Does OLED live up to the hype? Luckily, we have experienced experts to tell us how these sets perform...and events like Value Electronics’ Flat Panel Shootout to compare different models in close quarters. Speaking of said event, Value Electronics’ 2014 gathering of professional eyes announced the event’s first-ever tie for King of the display world, judging that LG’s 55EC9300 OLED display and Samsung’s PN64F8500 plasma display are near equals (but better than the rest). Both models are mere 1080p HD mortals, beating out sets from a group 4K displays.

The LG model captured top scores in four out of six categories (black level, contrast ratio, day mode or high ambient light, and general content video quality), and the Samsung stole the show with color accuracy and motion resolution.

If you’re having thoughts about taking the 4K plunge, you may want to study the event’s results and reevaluate your plan. This isn’t to say that 4K sets are vastly substandard...but it does show that plain old HD is still a very viable option. The winning sets had their way (scoring wise) against more expensive LCD Ultra-HD models, especially in the categories of black level and contrast ratio. According to Rober Zohn’s (Owner, Value Electronics) conversation with Jason Knott of CEPro, he feels that contrast ratio is an attribute that can make or break a screen’s image, and LG’s OLED television had the highest score of the bunch. Not surprisingly, the LG model also displayed excellent black levels.

So, it appears that OLED has the upper hand and is a worthy successor to plasma...right?

Perhaps.

The results of the shootout are, at a minimum, a step in the right direction for the future tech. The only question is: which manufacturers are willing to invest their time in OLED manufacturing development? We’ve already seen Sony and Panasonic put the breaks on OLED endeavors in favor of LCD based Ultra HD displays, and earlier this summer Nikkei reported that Samsung opted to scratch plans to build a new facility for OLED display production. According to the report, Samsung had found manufacturing OLED panels to be difficult and inefficient. Pair these troubles with relatively poor OLED sales in 2013 and the company is a tad gun-shy. They, much like Sony, are going to reassert their energies into LCD technology for their Ultra HD forays (while hinting that immediate OLED efforts might be reserved for smaller screen applications).

That practically leaves us with LG as the lone OLED champion (no pun intended), carrying the torch of enthusiast hopes while the others sit back and watch…and the company isn’t hiding from the challenge. Several days ago, LG became the first manufacturer to announce sales of OLED Ultra HD displays.

“LG 4K OLED TV is the pinnacle of technological achievement and a new paradigm that will change the dynamics of the next generation TV market,” said Hyun-hwoi Ha, president and CEO of LG’s Home Entertainment Company. “As the next evolutionary step in display technology, OLED will play a major role in reshaping our industry. I feel confident when I say that 4K OLED is a bona fide game changer.”

The company’s two new sets, the 77-inch 77EG9700 and the 65-inch 66EC9700 aren’t just UHD resolution...they’re also curved, which puts the displays in even more rarified air. But before you dismiss nearly 33 million sub-pixels and what will undoubtedly be hefty price tags, consider the results from the Value Electronics Shootout. If LG can efficiently streamline OLED manufacturing, then they might just have a leg-up on the future of the industry.

Consumers in Korea can pre-order LG’s new TVs this week, while American and European customers will have to wait until later this fall.

Let us know your thoughts on the Shootout results and latest OLED news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-29-14, 11:34 AM
Shackster

Re: Value Electronics Crowns Its Kings; LG Forges Ahead with OLED in 4K

I need to win the Lotto!
post #3 of 20 Old 08-29-14, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Good news: The wait for price drops will be worth it!
post #4 of 20 Old 08-29-14, 12:20 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

From just looking at the numbers, all-in-all, it looks like plasma is still a pretty good deal and viable option. I'm really tempted by the Samsung PN51F4500BFXZA at less than $400 seems like a great deal for a secondary T.V.

Mark
post #5 of 20 Old 08-29-14, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Yep, wouldn't disagree with that sentiment. Plasma, typically, was and is a proven performer.

If it weren't for the introduction of 4K, Plasma likely would have lived a bit longer. The good news is that OLED looks to be a possible successor. Hopefully more manufacturers will embrace it and invest R&D into manufacturing methods that can support their needs.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-29-14, 06:35 PM
Senior Shackster

My next set will be the LG 77" OLED
post #7 of 20 Old 08-29-14, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Jim - How do you feel about the curved vs flat issue? My guess is that companies shy away from curved sets in 2015....
post #8 of 20 Old 08-30-14, 12:28 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Jim - How do you feel about the curved vs flat issue? My guess is that companies shy away from curved sets in 2015....
Where it has to go makes it a 100% flat for me.

The below picture is my cabinet. In side the cabinet was a 55" Samsung. The taped lay out was my getting ready for a Samsung 64F8500 which was too big to go inside the cabinet. So, I built a wall inside, mounted an articulating mount on the wall and hung the 64" on the out side of the cabinet.

I would love to hang a flat 77" OLED on the outside of the cabinet. If it curved, the TV would protrude from the wall at its edges and I bet someone walking by close to the wall would bump into it.

m

Last edited by JimShaw; 08-30-14 at 10:33 AM.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-30-14, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
JimShaw wrote: View Post
Where it has to go makes it a 100% flat for me.

The below picture is my cabinet. In side the cabinet was a 55" Samsung. The taped lay out was my getting ready for a Samsung 64F8500 which was too big to go inside the cabinet. So, I built a wall inside, mounted an articulating mount on the wall and hung the 64" on the out side of the cabinet.

I would love to hang a flat 77" OLED on the outside of the cabinet. If it curved, the TV would protrude from the wall at its edges and I bet someone walking by close to the wall would bump into it.

m
This is exactly the reason I think curved is probably going to be a one to two year venture. Folks have spent the last decade re-working their spaces to accommodate flat panels, as they are, and my guess is that the extra effort to work-in a large curved panel is going to be a deterrent.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-30-14, 11:01 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Mark

My System

I think there are probably a lot of people who would not need to re-work their space. I could easily accommodate a curved panel in my space, just don't know that I could get used to it. Seems rather gimmicky to me, kinda like 3D.

Mark