Prepare Your Systems...Dobly Atmos is Primed to Invade on Blu-ray - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 09-10-14, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Prepare Your Systems...Dobly Atmos is Primed to Invade on Blu-ray

Dobly Atmos content for the home environment is less than a month away. Yesterday, Dolby Laboratories revealed that Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. would be the first two companies to release Dolby Atmos titles on Blu-ray and VUDU. VUDU is the first (currently only) streaming service to announce Dolby Atmos support.

Paramount’s first Atmos entry will come on September 30, 2014 with the release of Transformers: Age of Extinction. The film will be offered as a Blu-ray Combo Pack and 3D Combo Pack, both of which will carry a Dolby Atmos soundtrack encoded in Dolby TrueHD. If previous Transformers Blu-ray releases are any barometer (Dark of the Moon, in particular) then home theater enthusiasts are in for quite an audio treat. The company is planning on announcing more Atmos enabled titles later this year.

Transformers: Age of Extinction is primed to be the first Dolby Atmos Blu-ray release.

"If you've experienced Transformers: Age of Extinction in Dolby Atmos in the cinema, you understand the power of sound to transport you right into the middle of the action," said Edward Hoxsie, Senior Vice President, Worldwide Product Production & Fulfillment, Paramount Pictures. "Soon, home theater enthusiasts will be able to experience Dolby Atmos movies the way they were meant to be heard, right in their living rooms."

Warner Bros. has yet to announce its first Atmos title, but has said it will also support Atmos films via online streaming and Blu-ray disc offerings.

"By leveraging new technologies like Dolby Atmos, we can deliver a more enriching and realistic experience that taps into the power and location of the audio, to draw fans deeper into the story unfolding on the screen," said Jim Wuthrich, President Of The Americas, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Dolby Atmos is an audio format that is based on audio objects as opposed to channels, relying on new speaker positioning including speakers that are placed overhead. While it can be deployed in cinemas with up to 64 independent speakers, home environments are scaled down to a minimum of 7 speakers (with the possibility for as many as 34). Quite a few manufacturers (including Denon, Integra, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer, Steinway Lyngdorf, Trinnov Audio, and Yamaha) have announced receivers and pre-processors that are Atmos ready, while others (including Atlantic Technology, Definitive Technology, KEF, Onkyo, Pioneer USA, Teufel, and Triad Speakers) have revealed Dobly Atmos enabled speakers and add-on modules. If your current system isn’t Atmos compatible (and you aren’t planning on upgrading), don’t fret – Dolby Atmos titles are backwards compatible, meaning they’ll still play on your current system configuration.

A Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 ceiling speaker configuration.

Still not sold on Dolby Atmos? Perhaps a demo is in order. Beginning this October select Magnolia Home Theater and Design Centers will feature Dolby Atmos demonstrations. Later this fall, demos will be available at additional retailers including hhgregg, Future Shop, Best Buy Canada, Crutchfield, and Bjorn’s. Outside of the North American market, Dolby says that Sevenoaks Sound & Vision (United Kingdom), AVAC Corporation (Japan), and BIC Camera Inc (Japan) will also have demonstrations available.

Image Credits: Paramount Pictures, Dolby Laboratories
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-10-14, 01:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: Prepare Your Systems...Dobly Atmos is Primed to Invade on Blu-ray

I have to say I was sold on the idea from day one. I have no plans to run out and replace my receiver immediately but I do look forward to my next receiver/ pre amp that has Atmos built in which will probably be sometime next year.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-11-14, 09:43 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Agreed, Mike. I was really excited to see my first Atmos film in the theatre... what, maybe 2 years ago with The Hobbit? (time flies with a baby at home). I'm really happy to see how quickly the manufacturers and content providers are moving to roll Atmos out for the public at home. I am definitely on board for this (eventually), and can't wait till I can see a demo in store locally. That's likely going to be a key sales boost.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #4 of 17 Old 09-16-14, 10:28 AM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

We're hosting a Dolby Atmos party at our showroom on September 30th. Just competed the Atmos upgrade in our store theater and today we're working on upgrading our main showroom audio system so we will have two live Atmos demo rooms.

Of course we're playing Transformers: Age of Extinction and our two receivers are Pioneer's Elite SC-89 and Marantz SR7009.

Hope some of our HTS friends can attend.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #5 of 17 Old 09-16-14, 03:09 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Robert that sounds like it would be a blast! Great idea, and I wish I was able to attend to experience it firsthand. Hope we can at least see some pics.

- OJ -
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #6 of 17 Old 09-16-14, 10:58 PM
Shackster

Joe

Happy with my 7.2 system. I see no reason for me to upgrade.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-18-14, 01:47 AM
Shackster
Mike

the new format will fits right into my home theater ... but needed four new ceiling speakers and new wiring....new receiver.....to make it 7.2.4

that's quite a lot to invest to enjoy the new format.....
post #8 of 17 Old 09-19-14, 06:58 PM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Mike, Actually the cost to upgrade an existing surround sound system may not be as costly as you think. I like Denon's new AVR-X4100 Atmos enabled receiver for about $1,298 and adding two to four ceiling speakers, that should cost no more than $200 each, plus wire and labor.

Atmos is the single most valuable audio upgrade anyone can do to greatly improve the immersive experience of Hollywood movies.

Enjoy!

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps

Last edited by Robert Zohn; 09-24-14 at 10:17 AM. Reason: fixed typo AVR-4100
post #9 of 17 Old 09-20-14, 06:58 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Robert, that's about as bold an endorsement as I've heard for Atmos. Not that I'd disagree, I'm thrilled to hear it from someone so respected in our hobby!

- OJ -
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #10 of 17 Old 09-24-14, 06:03 AM
Shackster
wilyum

Exclamation Re: Prepare Your Systems...Dobly Atmos is Primed to Invade on Blu-ray

Actually the Denon x4000 is NOT Atmos enabled. Think X4100 or X5200 and X7200.
While my 14.3 system is build to simply plug the 4 overheads into the right amp for 10.3.4, there is no debate about the fact that in spite of T4:AOE, there is NO other Content and TMK precious few announcments about any new content forth coming,
I saw it in an ATMOS thearter 3D no less, but the movie? nevermind
however, The DSU possibilities for "could sound like ATMOS" is something to wait and see about what the early adopters report back on . .
wiser money keeps one eyebrow raised and whispers, yeah, maybe 2nd gen will get it . .
standing by