About-Face! HBO Announces Streaming Service - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 10-20-14, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
About-Face! HBO Announces Streaming Service

Up until last week, reigning premium cable champion HBO had rejected any notion of creating its own standalone streaming service. Ignoring the technicality of HBO GO's existence (an online service for cable subscribers), HBO hasn't shown any sign of budging. Outsiders, such as cord cutters, OTA viewers, and basic cable subscribers simply have no way of watching HBO's current premium content.

On October 15th, HBO chairman and CEO Richard Plepler announced that HBO will turn its ship to catch stronger winds. The company revealed plans to offer a stand-alone streaming service in 2015. Several months ago, HBO was humbled by news that Netflix had narrowly posted larger subscription revenues for the first time ($1.146 billion to $1.141 billion), and the company is keenly aware that a growing broadband landscape only favors Netflix going forward.

According to Plepler, the United States has roughly ten million broadband-only homes, a number that is expected to rapidly increase in the future. “That is a large and growing opportunity that should no longer be left untapped,” said Plepler. He added: “It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO.”

Working with current partners, HBO will launch a U.S. only service some time next year. Plepler says the company will also explore alternative models with new companies. “All in, there are 80 million homes that do not have HBO and we will use all means at our disposal to go after them,” proclaimed the chairman.

HBO has not released any pricing or hardware details.

This isn’t the kind of news HBO’s biggest rival wants to hear. Netflix is well aware of HBO’s prowess and quality of content. In fact, last August Netflix CEO Reed Hastings publicly acknowledged that “HBO rocks,” citing their Emmy awards and profit margins. In the company’s most recent letter to investors, HBO’s streaming announcement was directly addressed.

“Starting back in 2011 we started saying that HBO would be our primary long-term competitor, particularly for content. The competition will drive us both to be better. It was inevitable and sensible that they would eventually offer their service as a standalone application. Many people will subscribe to both Netflix and HBO since we have different shows, so we think it is likely we both prosper as consumers move to Internet TV. “

Unfortunately for Netflix, recently announced subscriber growth numbers paired with HBO’s big move caused their stock to instantly fall from $446 to $332 (a number that now hovers around $360).

While damaging to Netflix, HBO’s arrival to the streaming is a win for media consumers (especially those kicking cord-cutting tires). More options and better access will only help to push the future of streaming media to higher places.

Image Credit: HBO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-20-14, 02:44 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: About-Face! HBO Announces Streaming Service

I'm down as long as they don't charge too much for it... I think $10-15 max a month would be reasonable.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #3 of 10 Old 10-20-14, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

They'll need to stay competitive with Netflix, that's for sure.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-20-14, 03:26 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I'm definitely intrigued. Cutting the cable almost 2 years ago was the best thing ever. Between Hulu /Netflix and my blu ray collection .. The only thing I really miss is espn
post #5 of 10 Old 10-20-14, 03:45 PM
Elite Shackster

I cut cable/sat long time ago. I use OTA for local channels and use Amazon prime and netflix for getting movies/tv shows. With amazon prime, I get all of the older HBO shows so I am good. Having HBO by itself is great news to get the latest shows from HBO.

The one thing I always hated when I had cable/sat, was that I would pay for all the channels that the service provided bundled but in reality, all I watched were few channels.

HBO moving into streaming is good news.

Main:
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Wii U Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub

equipment pics.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-20-14, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
JQueen wrote: View Post
I'm definitely intrigued. Cutting the cable almost 2 years ago was the best thing ever. Between Hulu /Netflix and my blu ray collection .. The only thing I really miss is espn
This is what is stopping me...sports. Cable is the only way for me to access our regional sports network for Major League Baseball...something I can't live without!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-20-14, 05:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
This is what is stopping me...sports. Cable is the only way for me to access our regional sports network for Major League Baseball...something I can't live without!
^^^^ +1
post #8 of 10 Old 10-21-14, 12:01 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Good news for HBO programing but not so good if you watch ESPN, E, Disocovery, VH1 etc. Can't cut the cord then.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-14, 08:35 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
+1 Sports is why I didn't cut the cord also. A couple years back I was about too, but I couldn't find a way to get the sports channels.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-14, 03:09 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
My parents have direct tv so I just pay them for Sunday ticket and watch on my Ipad or mirror it to the tv through my apple. That's really the only reason I'm ok with not having sports channels. Only bummer is I miss the Monday night game.