Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Project "C8" - building Norways smallest(?) home cinema

179K views 129 replies 13 participants last post by  roffe 
#1 · (Edited)
Status so far - Finished!:

See less See more
#79 ·
What is GOM? Like I stated, the fabric used is not like speaker cloth as far as I know the term "speaker cloth".
GOM is not speaker cloth..It's a fairly thick cloth that is used on walls to cover over fibreglass insulation.

The panels are fastened with (TADAAA!) velcro tape. :)
Ahaa!!..now I've got ya..good old velcro!! :T
That's what I used to fix my acoustic panels in place..
When you said "hung" I presumed that you were fitting them on to some sort of bracket system..:R

#80 · (Edited)
Building acoustic frames

Here are som pictures of the later part of the building of am acoustic frame. Not inkluded in the pictures are initial measurements, kutting wood, drilling of holes, screwing the frame together, routing of edges and cutting of the acoustic panels.
Here is a frame with the Rockwool Acoustic panels.

A closer look on the corner.

Then it is time to cut the fabric into the right size. You need to have enough fabic to fold up and around the outer eges of the frame.

The cloth is fastened by starting the stretching on the middle of each side, and then gradually working from the middle, along the edge towards the corners

The corners are folded as neatly as possible. This is my method of choice.

Excess fabric is cut from the corners.

Then I use velcro tape to fasten the frame to the wall. The glue on the tape is not fastening properly, so I have to use staples.

Using velcro on the wall too, makes hangig the frames easy.

#85 ·
I just wanted to say that the room is looking fantastic, I've enjoyed watching your build! And thank you - thank you very much - for the idea of using velcro to hold the acoustic screens up. My room has angled walls and I had been racking my brain trying to come up with a method to install the screens up evenly. Velcro - awesome!

#90 ·
Thanx.

Well... I tend to sleep short nights. :snoring:

When I am not needed for the kids or have other plans for the evening, I usually put in some hours between 18:00 and 23:00 (Norwegian time). I then update the web if there is something to report, and get to bed around 01:00. :coocoo:

#92 ·
More acoustic boards, almost done on 3 walls

More of the same (acoustic boards).
This wall now has 5 boards, one more to go:

Not much has happened on this side of the room since the last post:

I may not have mentioned it before, but frames for the in-wall surround speakers are mounted. It can be seen on this and the previous picture.

And here is a view of what remains. I have to do something in the corners of the front wall before I get correct measurements to make the two last boards on the side walls.

The observant may notice that the old CD player is gone. The display that can be seen below this work table is a Squeezebox Classic. The old player is once more hidden away in another storage room.

#93 ·
Cables and corners

Something else than acoustic boards for a change. :T
I have now placed cables in the cable channels and made holes for the cables several places. In the front corners are wooden boards put in diagonally, making them cable channels from ceiling to floor.

Here are the cables for the left surround speakers and HDMI for the projector, too:

And the same way for the speakers on the right side:

Here are the front corner cable channels pretty obvious.

A closer look on one of the speaker cables in the front of the room.

Hole for the audio and video cables behind the front rack:

A lot of cables through one hole, but still room for a bit more:

A closer look on the hole for the projector HDMI cable.

And some more wood is still to come. Here a quick shot of some, painted before it is mounted:

#95 ·
Ceiling cable channels got walls

Here are a couple of pics of what it looks like with side walls on the cable/downlight channels under the ceiling.

Towards the rear of the room:

Towards the front of the room:

I think it looks pretty tidy. :yes:

Oh, looks like I've exceeded som kind of upload limit, so here we go with bigger pics again.

Attachments

#99 ·
Well, the boxes are partly built already, that happened pretty early in the project (in post #25 of this thread):

I will start the work on the front baffles when the room is finished, since building speakers always creates a mess with all the routing of MDF.

#105 ·
Door for future equipment closet - a small story in pictures

I really think the pictures say it all. I have little to add.

Attachments

#106 · (Edited)
The screen - another DIY effort

The canvas for the screen comes from Dreamscreen. I am going for a 180cm wide 16:9 screen.

The frame is made of 20x48mm wood. First I hung it on the wall to get an impression of size. Definitely not to small. :)

Done stretching the canvas and making the frame around the screen. I have used black stage molton for the outer frame.

A close-up.

Straight front shot, finished on the wall.

Another angle. The wide angle lens makes the room look a lot bigger than it is. Kinda cool.

Attachments

#107 · (Edited)
Done with frames on front wall

With the screen in place, it was time for the last acoustic frames. First step, the two frames on the sides, were the most time consuming

After that, the last two were pretty easy.

About time to put in a chair, I thought. Starts to look like a complete home theater now.

A view showing the distance between rack and chair pretty well. Everything else is just a picture lying more than a thousand words.

Another lying picture. 8 m² is still 8 m².

Attachments

#109 ·
Can you spot the difference?

Do you see what's new compared to the previous picture post? The solution is below the pictures.

You probably saw that I have put in a carpet. The reason is partly acoustics, but also because the room gets a "warmer" feel to it. The carpet is only 3mm thick and the floor heating is coming through nicely to the rest of the room.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.