Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Project "C8" - building Norways smallest(?) home cinema

179K views 129 replies 13 participants last post by  roffe 
#1 · (Edited)
Status so far - Finished!:

See less See more
#113 · (Edited)
Riser front and surround speakers mounted

This time I have pictures of the riser with the front done.

Picture from the right:

Picture from the left:

Other than that, I have monted the in-wall speakers. Here is a picture of the left surround speaker.

And here is the rear surround on the left side:

It turned out to be a nice surprise that this eliminated a ressonnance easily heard when klapping my hands. Maybe the fabric fronts dampened some local ressonnances...

Attachments

#114 ·
Re: Riser front and surround speakers mounted

Other than that, I have monted the in-wall speakers. Here is a picture of the left surround speaker.
The surrounds look very nice..
Are the covers the same colour as the soffits or just black?

It turned out to be a nice surprise that this eliminated a ressonnance easily hird when klapping my hands Maybe the fabic fronts dampened some local ressonnances...
The fabric fronts would have helped because that riser is one big empty chamber..
When the sub boxes are in there, that will also help to reduce room resonances..

#115 ·
Pardon my limited english, but what are "soffits"?

I have spray painted the grilles the same way as the mounting frames (grayish silver), but I am currently planning to play the surrounds without covers. The surrounds are from Dayton, by the way, a brand I had to import to Norway from the US. Similar speakers usually cost the double in Norway.

Link: http://www.daytonaudio.com/audio/inwall_ultra.html - I only had room for the 2-way 5 1/4" model.

#118 · (Edited)
Shelves for the front speakers

I decided early that I wanted shelf speakers in front, and those need shelves. Here are some pictures from the process of making them.

If you don't have the right colored heads om your screws, make them right:

The shelves are dressed in black stage molton.

The shelves straight on. The loudspeakers came out of long time storage. They are my trusty, old Dali 2A closed shelf speakers bought in 1990, I think. They will do temporary duty until I have built new DIY speakers.

From a different angle.

Attachments

#121 ·
DIY subwoofers, part 1

One of the things that make a home theater better and more fun than a commercial movie theater is that it is possible to get a depth and punch in the bass that is not possible in a huge room. I have built speakers before, and subwoofers are not that difficult to build. Here are some pictures from the building process.

But first a picture of the work space. Most of the room is covered by dust when routing MDF. Not a living room activity.

Result after the first routing. Edges are not sanded clean here.

Result after second routing. Baffle is ready for bass reflex ports.

Closeup of element holes and the terminal going in the back. These boxes will not get a built in amplifier.

The ugly rear of the baffle. The bass port tubes are fastened with glue and screws and sealed. It should be all right.

Edges are sanded and holes for the terminals are ready.

Glueing the front baffles to the boxes. The weight of one box is making enough pressure while the glue is setting.

While waiting for the glue i decided to do the signal cable for the subwoofer. Here it runs through what will once be "hidden" rack.

It is nice to have cable channels (soffits?) that can be opened. The cable continues to the front.

The cable is run down along the wall and behind the screen to the current rack. RCA plugs are soldered on each end after the stretching is done.

Attachments

#122 ·
Projector mounted

The projector right out of the box. The model is called Epson EH-TW5000 in Norway and the rest of Europe.

A bit metallic look.

This Chief projector mount makes adjusting the angles of the projector relative to the screeen very easy. It also only builds 7,5cm (about 3 inches) from the ceiling.

A quick snapshot from the DOA-test.

Epson EH-TW5000 is mounted in the ceiling.

Attachments

#123 ·
DIY subwoofers part 2 .... and ...

Subwoofer cabinets with a very rough finish before mounting elements.

With drivers and internal cabling in place, this was soon the situastion. The subs are going under the riser in the two center slots.

The subwooferamplifier (borrowed for a while) is set in a makeshift frame and goes under the riser in the right slot in this picture.

Fronts of the riser in place and furniture too. The colour of the sofa looks reddish in this picture. It is not like that in reality.

This is a Patos Basic C210 center speaker. Also a temporary solution, as with the two Dali shelf sepakers. More DIY is to come later to replace this.

Attachments

#130 ·
A home entertainment build like this will let others know, there is hope for small places!

You have done a very professional looking job and it looks good as well.

Good luck,
Brien
Thank you. One of the reasons I wanted to do this was to actually prove to myself and to others that it can be done. I am satisfied with the result myself, and hope this may serve as an inspiration to others, even if I do recommend a slightly larger room than this. As little as 30cm (1 foot) more in each direction is a big help to get a bit more elbow room and a more free choice of furniture, speaker placement and projector choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.