Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

"Tranquility Base" Home Theater

11K views 87 replies 6 participants last post by  Savjac 
#1 · (Edited)
So starts another attempt at finishing my home theater project. First however I would like to thank Todd Anderson for the name that was chosen for this room is this truly is and will be a place of tranquility where sometimes I can just get away from the world and experience peace and quiet or bombast.

This is my second attempt at this particular home theater as the last attempt was put off as I was unemployed for two years. I’m now back at work and am trying to rebuild savings albeit very slowly and I believe it’s time to get into this project. I have to be rather frugal in my plans however I can make things such as absorbers and diffusers and I can install lighting, drapes, paint and pretty much whatever else needs to be done.

The room as you can see in the pictures below is somewhat odd shaped and that the knee walls run into angles going to the ceiling which tends to minimize parts of the room and make it harder to set up. Nevertheless the room is 15 feet wide by 20 feet long and 8 feet tall. At the front end of the room as I will collect there is one window placed center of the room and at this time I have my equipment against and over this window. I decided that this would be the best place to put the equipment as we enter from the other end and I do want people tripping over wires and speakers and what have you. The back end of the room is where we enter and right as we enter the room there is a closet on one side while the entry area is somewhat of a landing on top of the stairs that has a large bathroom and another closet into which I’ve installed numerous shelves to hold some of my collection. I would like to someday put my equipment in the closet immediately as we enter the room however that is most probably not in the immediate future. Please note photographs below.

See less See more
Reactions: Admin VS
#2 · (Edited)
Front of empty room

Back of empty room

Stuff closet at entrance to the room

For some reason, using a wide angle lens I am thinking, this room looks so small when in reality it is not.

Empty software closet

Inside the closet at the top of the stairs

Equipment in place

Reactions: NBPk402
#5 ·
Well thank You. I am thinking the first job will be to paint the walls and ceiling to deal with the dayglow going on when watching a movie. I had chatted with several folks and I am thinking a semi darkish grey front wall and ceiling with a deep red blend about the knee walls and back wall. Thoughts ?

In addition I have to think of how this will fit into the system as the center channel speaker is sitting where I wanted the turntable to sit. The present location is on a wood stand on the right side of the room, not connected.

Reactions: Admin VS
#6 ·
I don't know how involved you want to get...if it was me & I really wanted to keep that arrangement, I would build another compartment on the left large enough to house the PC (vented). Then I would build another compartment on the right that the turn table would sit on & use the extra compartment below to hold you favorite albums.

If you are handy, you could build it your self...or just hire it done. I think it would look very nice.

#8 ·
Good idea, I am handy and can do it myself, so I think I will follow your idea for the turntable. Now that you mention the computer, I think I will take the guts out of my office desktop and put them into a smaller horizontal desktop that will fit in one of the openings like where the integrated amp is then move that amp to the opening in the bottom.
The back of the equipment rack is open so plenty of air moving in there and then make an outrigger of sorts that would hold the turntable. Yeah that makes sense.

Maybe I need some more blue lights then ?? I like blue as well so we be going in that direction.

Thank You

#10 · (Edited)
Thank You, the system does play Grover quite well, although I am a fan of Winelight for relaxing me. I have never tried Knob Creek so maybe it will have to go in the liquor cabinet in the room. I do have a good selection of grey goose and fireball LOL

#11 ·
Great name! ;-) There was an old Orb song off an album called Adventures Beyond the Ultra World (great - great album by the way) that used samples from the NASA lunar expeditions...one of the songs has an astronaut talking about Tranquility Base...kind of haunting... has stuck in my head for the better part of 25 years.

You have a really nice space there, Jack! Can't wait to see it grow!

#12 ·
Thank You Name Maker.
I have not heard that album before so it is on right now in the background while I work. Thanks for the recommendation.

Now the big question, does the reader need to know what stuff is in the room as far as gear or does that not really matter ?

#17 ·
Now if only that was the Cubbies....

Ok I will sacrifice my evening and go into the base to get names and models of stuff....I guess I am kind of ashamed it is not all much better stuff.

#19 ·
Now if only that was the Cubbies.... Ok I will sacrifice my evening and go into the base to get names and models of stuff....I guess I am kind of ashamed it is not all much better stuff.
Now there ya go! Getting all hateful and stuff with Cubby talk. As far as being ashamed? Does it sound good and look good to you? If yes then who cares! Own it and wear it with pride. :)

#23 · (Edited)
So y'all want some blue ??

Eric is Back and in blue

Here is Mr. Denon AVR 4520 with blue stuff

Mr. Emotiva XPA5 with more blue stuff

Toshiba HD DVD and Oppo both with blue stuff.....do we see a pattern here ?

Power conditioner....whats this... Blue stuff

Tube Dac

Apple tv, Satellite Box and a MyDac held in place by Budda Cat....he turned his back cause he is embarrassed

Ok here is the left side looking forward and I know no one will agree with in wall surrounds but I am owning it and standing semi proud while slumped over from too much water on the rocks

Reactions: Todd Anderson
#33 ·
Yes we do....although living in the tundra maybe is to big of one eh ??

In reality, with the angled ceiling/walls, I did not want any visitors hitting their heads. The system will still put goosebumps on me so it must be workin

#44 ·
I am on the interwebs and I find that I can order a proper Tranquility Base home theater sign off of Stargate Cinema. I will do that then.
Gotta Start Somewhere

#46 ·
Hey Jack, this thread really took off...kinda fun when an old timer (in the shack that is) makes a move...I know my day is coming!

Anyway, that Knob Creek is worth the extra money, highly recommend it.

And as far as the cabinet, I think a computer compartment would look really cool & original. I would make it higher than the middle section as would the turn table compartment. I would consider making them high enough to have 2 rows for albums (unless that turns out to be too much & takes away form the whole experience). I can see it now...awesome!

#58 ·
Once again thank you gentlemen for all your assistance however I would be most happy to hear suggestions as to how to approach this without in wall speakers. Nothing in this room as yet is a foregone conclusion.:smile:

#59 ·
I remember when the KLF series was new, they had matching surrounds. Don't know if you could find a set now though. I auditioned a pair in my house back then, but didn't care for them that much. Tried to get something to match my KSF 8.5's. They just did not keep up. If you can find some Klipsch SC-1's, they might be as close as you could get. Good luck.

#66 ·
I was not originally all that fond of them either but I heard them at a friends and they were good but very shiny on the top end. I went ahead and changed the foam inside, bought the Crites crossover and titanium tweeter and changed out the binding posts and they do not sound anything like what they were. I really like them.

With the right speaker cables of course.....

#60 ·
Here is what is in the wall, 8" woofer, 4" midrange and a tweeter

I also have a pair of these bi polars

A pair of regular small speakers

Of course these....might be a bit too big...

And of course my entry way happiness, door on right enters the room

Can any of these be used as I might be able to find another pair or are the in walls sufficient ?

#62 ·
You're Welcome, I have so much stuff I have not documented it yet but will as this goes on.

The in walls work great and I have not heard any strain as yet, never the less, I will try out the bipoles just to see if any difference is noted.

#63 ·
I'm curious as to your findings. I won't state my position on bipoles until you do. Are you going with floor stands to temp with or going all in on the wall? Did I just say that?
Yes good work with the pics. We luv pics! I think #Jbrax said that once...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#64 ·
I'm curious as to your findings. I won't state my position on bipoles until you do. Are you going with floor stands to temp with or going all in on the wall? Did I just say that? Yes good work with the pics. We luv pics! I think #Jbrax said that once... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can say with only a short listen that as far as the def techs there seems no benefit. I have no need to show the sound fore and aft as the in walls fill in the sound quite well.
I won't mess with these any more.
The in walls seem to work well as they face right into the room but in two different planes, i.e., mid and aft section of the room. They are essentially full range to the avr crossover range and the will play at any volume I need without issue.

I will not go with in walls up front, they won't do that well. The three front should remain as they are. I do need a good movie sub and that will be it for the home theater.
I will set up a second system for music and that will NOT be in wall either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.