Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

21Likes

post #11 of 110 Old 07-15-16, 03:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed!

Ive got my mains below the screen and that in turn raised my screen so the centre of the screen is definitely above the "ideal" height. But my tweeters are at just below ear height, I have them angled back slightly so everyone gets the right amount of highs. I just have my mains on some black square milk crates coverd in a black cloth LOL

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 07-26-16 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 110 Old 07-23-16, 10:16 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

I have been thinking about front of room traps for a while. Of course, your HT screen gets priority. In my room, I will move it up so that I have front room traps to above ear height. In your case, you might consider traps across the lower part of the front wall below the screen down to the floor.

Reason, absorption rather than reflection from the front wall illuminates reflections that cause Imaging to wonder with different notes and tones with some instruments. Also quickens the decay of nodes and low-mid frequency reflections, getting them to die down quickly. It will definitely improve the impression of fast bass and will improve Imaging and detail.

I am getting ready to build a set, will do a build thread, but my design prioritizes 2 channel sound while allowing for a good home theater set up also.
post #13 of 110 Old 07-25-16, 04:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Wayne wrote:

Quote:
I am getting ready to build a set, will do a build thread, but my design prioritizes 2 channel sound while allowing for a good home theater set up also.
I think that is what about 99% of us are looking for!

post #14 of 110 Old 07-26-16, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

I'll vote for that! Especially now that I need to merge my 2ch and HT systems. Looking forward to Wayne's investigative prowess and write-up!
BTW: wifey has slowed to the speed of sound

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #15 of 110 Old 07-26-16, 09:29 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System

Kind of a random comment... but your chosen L/R speakers are about 4 1/2 feet tall. I'd be inclined to do everything I can to ditch the horizontal center channel and get third Ultima Salon in its place.

Just in my opinion, your Samsung PN60F8500 won't have viewing angle issues (if the TV position is slightly higher)... and the benefit of using an actual tower in place of a center channel will be pretty huge.
tonyvdb likes this.
post #16 of 110 Old 07-26-16, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I would agree with Todd here, and to take it a step further, ditch the TV and get front projection with an acoustically transparent screen. Then put that third Salon behind the screen. I'm sure the wife will love the idea . . .
post #17 of 110 Old 08-03-16, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System
Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed!

Eeek, again!! If only I had the funds at the moment to go projection. I'm limited to about $3k for everything. If I could find a buyer for the Salons and the B&W's, I'd try to get matched speakers for a 7.1 setup. Already have the electronics to drive them. I guess I should have let on a little earlier that the bigger room is only marginally so (13x11).

Sometimes the truth hurts, and you're right about the height. TheSalons weren't meant to be HT speakers. I just hate losing an arm and a leg on them. I also hate the act of selling - just no good at it.

So it seems as if this venture is done before it begins! Can you say "easily discouraged?" Methinks it best to save up for the goodies and just get some used seats for now, especially since we're in temporary quarters until we sell.

While I see-saw on the options, guess I'll start planning the speaker layout, as limited as that may be. Somehow I need to get those surrounds a little over ear height and behind the LP. I remember seeing a recommended angle and range, but don't have it handy at the moment. I do know where a sketch pad and pencil are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #18 of 110 Old 08-04-16, 04:19 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

My traps are not moving at light speed, sorry to say. Still engulfed in the DDRC88A_BM review. The traps are next.
post #19 of 110 Old 08-04-16, 11:28 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Hey Louie ol buddy. Not sure which angles you're after, but I've got these...

Maybe 25-40deg above ear height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #20 of 110 Old 08-05-16, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Perfect! Thanks for that my good friend Willis! I appreciate the help, though I should probably have looked it up myself.

So if it were your coin, would you:
(a) lean more toward getting the center channel for the uber performing Revels, or
(b) Trade the Revels and B&Ws in for a matched system, say Golden Ear Tritons or an amazingly high bang-for-the-buck Chane A2Rx system?