Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

12Likes

post #21 of 46 Old 08-05-16, 08:34 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed!

Wayne wrote:

Quote:
The traps are next.
I think Sonnie has a different plan Wayne. From the looks of it, the traps can wait!

Luman wrote:

Quote:
if it were your coin
Since you are planning to move, I wouldn't spend any reckless money. I'd put it away & plan on investing in the next place. Just make sure it has a room that will accommodate a HT. My wife & I went through so many houses until we found one that would work...not just in the family room, but for a dedicated space as well. I was surprised at how many homes don't work at all. Open floor plans are everywhere!
Savjac and Lumen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 08-06-16, 05:58 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Hey Lou. Calculating response. Having a funeral and a birthday party during the same day. Lots going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 46 Old 08-08-16, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Wayne wrote:
Since you are planning to move, I wouldn't spend any reckless money. I'd put it away & plan on investing in the next place.
I'd agree with this. Maybe if there's something you can add that will be easy to use in the next place, you can go ahead with it now, but I'd try to save that budget for when you're ready to go in the new house. It would be frustrating to get there and have more equipment you need to sell to switch out for something else better suited to the new layout.

Plan big for the next space! AT screen and 3 identical L/C/Rs!
ellisr63 and Lumen like this.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #24 of 46 Old 08-09-16, 09:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Hey there Louie, I see you are in the midst of a conundrum. Having visited your home and senior living room as well as the equipment that's slated to be in their I have a rather slanted thought on how you should proceed in this matter. Last time we spoke it was clear that you do wish to quite possibly sell this house after fixing it up a bit and in that vein I would say spend your money on making the house salable first and use the equipment that you now have two make a modest home theater in your main room. While it is not huge it is definitely larger than one you had and I think could work much better frankly.

Building a room inside of a room or making all sorts of accoutrement to place it here and there will definitely detract from your reconditioning which may allow you to get into a better place. I agree that your mains are not necessarily meant for home theater but they would work pretty well and I would hate to see you rid yourself of those most excellent speakers that you may be able to use in your next home. There is a thing called buyers remorse coupled with the fact that buying another home may preclude you from replacing those fine speakers.
So what am I rambling on about? I think I would move everything into your living room set it up as best as possible by mixing and matching what you have and possibly getting a few additional absorption panels that would help you with any bounce if you do not have enough already. By using the salons for left and right duty and maybe putting a full-sized B&W between them, with all the processing you now possess you might be able to make this work. Further doing it this way would save you a ton of money that you could either put into fixing up what you are now trying to sell or putting in the bank and getting ready for your next abode.

By the way, I'm always here to help if you need someone to move stuff around with you.
Tonto, willis7469 and Lumen like this.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #25 of 46 Old 08-10-16, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System
Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed!

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Hey Lou. Calculating response. Having a funeral and a birthday party during the same day. Lots going on

An emotional combination. Best wishes and sincerest condolences.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
post #26 of 46 Old 01-11-17, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
Savjac wrote: View Post
...Last time we spoke it was clear that you do wish to quite possibly sell this house after fixing it up a bit and in that vein I would say spend your money on making the house salable first and use the equipment that you now have two make a modest home theater in your main room. While it is not huge it is definitely larger than one you had and I think could work much better frankly...

...I think I would move everything into your living room set it up as best as possible by mixing and matching what you have and possibly getting a few additional absorption panels that would help you with any bounce if you do not have enough already. By using the salons for left and right duty and maybe putting a full-sized B&W between them, with all the processing you now possess you might be able to make this work. Further doing it this way would save you a ton of money that you could either put into fixing up what you are now trying to sell or putting in the bank and getting ready for your next abode.
As you and others who care may have guessed, this project has fizzled. I'm only allowed the most basic of HT setups to keep the big/main room of the house uncluttered for showing. I'm leaning toward keeping the current room, saving boatloads of moving and setup time. Getting rid of the Salons is a lot more painful than dumping the B&W's when considering depreciation and performance. But one or the other sets must go due to space constraints. Do you feel sorry for me yet (lol)?

post #27 of 46 Old 01-11-17, 02:05 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

More than you can imagine.
post #28 of 46 Old 01-11-17, 02:12 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
More than you can imagine.

This...

post #29 of 46 Old 01-12-17, 09:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

Absolutely Lou !! It will be a sad day indeed.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #30 of 46 Old 01-13-17, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Hi guys, and thanks for the support!
Each of you has helped me advance along my HT learning at some point. Now the time has come to exercise some of that knowledge in pursuit of even better sound. Yes, I'm one of those pseudo HT nuts who places audio on a higher pedestal than video (at least until such time as I can afford for the latter's funds to surpass the former's). You will all laugh-out-loud very long and hard to find out that I am running my Salons mismatched to a B&W center channel in that tiny Green room of mine! The Salons are quite the behemoths in that cramped space, and wouldn't fare much better in the marginally larger "Eeek" room. But whether a product of my psychoacoustic imagination or my exceptionally well-honed, speaker setup skillset (hah-hah), the Salons convincingly disappear in outright audiophile fashion when reproducing up-to-snuff program material. So why oh why does dissatisfaction prevail? One Word. MMD! Mushy Movie Dialogue. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the source material, but I can't seem to understand dialogue as easily and recently as a few months ago.

Dirac Live calibrations don't drift the way a capacitors can, so I need to ask myself, "What's changed?" On the other hand, maybe I've slowly acclimated to the Salons! What was initially a dance over superior sound on 2ch music and multichannel concert videos, has become a convulsion over mostly incoherent murmuring. No blown tweets or mids. No changes in speaker position. My plan of attack is to first try a source with a known-good center signal. Then try a recalibration if that fails to turn up anything.

Those who don't know me may wish I'd just go back away rather than try to decipher my ramblings. BUT MY NAME IS LOU, AND i LOVE MY SELF!!
So I stay put. Hah! Or as the Knights Who Say "Nee" would say, I now say to you: "Nee!"

Winding down and back to the point...
My system needs more tweaking. This holiday weekend I plan to revamp the room and speaker setup. The room has become too dead as I've shoehorned in more and more bass traps. Time to back off on the wall panels as well. Then there's the speaker Combo Abomino - time to match the front set again, even if it means reverting back to the B&W's or shelling out some mean green for the Revel center. I've seen some used ones cross eBay recently for close to a song. Just couldn't pull the trigger so soon after Christmas and family Birthdays.

...while this is a rough draft of unfinished work, it's quittin' time on Friday afternoon and I need to head out the door.