Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

21Likes

post #1 of 110 Old 07-13-16, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System
Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed!

Long story short... we are renovating the house to sell at some point in a year or two, and my wife has agreed to let me move the HT into a bigger room. Problem is, she's making decisions faster than the light from my plasma can reach my spinning head (so I have little time for research today).

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer here, or in pointing me to appropriate threads. TIA!!!
  1. I would like to improve acoustics beyond just bare walls and floor as much as possible. Would it make sense to construct a room-within-a-room for this scenario? What are the benefits?
  2. I plan on changing out my B&W's for the Revel Ultima Salons and a new Voice-2 center which will sit on a new stand under the wall-mounted TV. Should the centerline of the screen be at eye level?
  3. What are the pitfalls of buying used HT seating. I need only 2 or 3.
  4. More questions later, but I'd welcome any suggestions in advance!

EDIT: Just to try and collect my upgrade activities in one place, I've included links to some of my related threads:

My Butt is Sick and Tired
Where, Oh Where Does My New Center Go?
A Sound Renovation for the Green Room

And here's a teaser of things yet to come! (lifted from the REW Online Help Manual)
Name:  splphaseplot.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  19.3 KB
Name:  impulsedb.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  40.1 KB
Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed!-excess_gd.jpg

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Lumen; 02-22-17 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Added links to complete room renovation thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 07-13-16, 02:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Eeek... Wife Moving at Light Speed!

Room within a room is really only for sound isolation. If you want to keep sound out or sound in that is the best option.
A compromise is needed for the centre channel. you ideally want it at the same height as the tweeters on your mains but that makes the screen to high in most cases.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 07-14-16 at 08:31 AM.
post #3 of 110 Old 07-13-16, 10:08 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Don't overlook Chane speakers. He has his pre-order special going on now for his latest iteration of the A5. And should come out with his much anticipated L7 with matching center by the end of the year. These are expected to be a very big step up. Just a thought. I do know that Sonnie just bought another pair of the A5's for his room.

post #4 of 110 Old 07-15-16, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Room within a room is really only for sound isolation. If you want to keep sound out or sound in that is the best option.
Thanks for your patience! I could have looked it up myself, but am in a hurry to shorten the learning curve.

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
A compromise is needed for the centre channel. you ideally want it at the same height as the tweeters on your mains but that makes the screen to high in most cases.
So is center-line tweeter alignment the reason for risers? Or are risers used as a space to create a bass trap?

post #5 of 110 Old 07-15-16, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Don't overlook Chane speakers. He has his pre-order special going on now for his latest iteration of the A5. And should come out with his much anticipated L7 with matching center by the end of the year. These are expected to be a very big step up. Just a thought. I do know that Sonnie just bought another pair of the A5's for his room.
No doubt Chane's are top notch! I plan on eventually getting some for my surrounds. I should have explained the center needs to match my existing Salons.

post #6 of 110 Old 07-15-16, 10:47 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
Lumen wrote: View Post
So is center-line tweeter alignment the reason for risers? Or are risers used as a space to create a bass trap?
It can serve both reasons.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #7 of 110 Old 07-15-16, 11:54 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

While the riser is a great bass trap, the main reason is to give the people in the row behind a better/unobstructed view of the scree,.
post #8 of 110 Old 07-15-16, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Thanks, Tony! Two down and ??? many more to go. I guess a room-within-a-room would bust any ill-conceived budget I came up with. Worse yet, the bigger room would now become smaller. If we were staying there long-term, sound isolation would be higher on my list because the resonating walls definitely need reinforcement.

I obviously need to keep realistic expectations about the new room, especially since we could move shortly after it's finished. So aesthetics come in a distant second to functionality. I'm pretty sure that a good viewing experience is controlled by lighting and seating distance. Good sound is controlled by speaker positioning and acoustics - first position, then acoustic treatment, then signal processing from the likes of Audyssey, etc. I at least plan to distance seating far enough from back wall to properly locate surrounds.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is:
  1. If my wife wants to put up this paneling, is there something I can put behind it to help acoustics?
  2. What's involved in building a riser and is that something a novice could do?

post #9 of 110 Old 07-15-16, 01:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

That paneling wont absorb or let through any sound so putting anything behind it wont make much difference. As far as what to put in the walls Roxal safe n sound is my goto product.

Are we talking a speaker riser or a riser for seating? both are easy to build just use 2x6 boards for the frame and glue and screw 3/4" plywood to the top to keep vibration away.

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #10 of 110 Old 07-15-16, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Both, I think. If the seats are at floor level, then ears should be about level with the (horizontal) center channel IF it just sits on top shelf of wide rack. That would put the center of the screen a little above eye level. The mains tweeters would be a little above that. Vertical distance from center channel tweeter to mains tweeter would be a foot or two! So my setup will never be ideal. I think I know what you're saying, though. From what I can remember, Sonnie's CCC has a riser for both the center channel and the seats, which effectively puts the mains below sea level so-to-speak. But not sure if the same principles apply because his Martin Logans don't have a single tweeter.