Front Wall Trap Design - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes
  • 2 Post By AudiocRaver
  • 1 Post By AudiocRaver

post #1 of 9 Old 07-26-16, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Front Wall Trap Design

Here is my front wall trap design. By damping any resonances or reflections involving the front wall, making them decay and die down quickly, bass snappiness is improved, and soundstage and imaging (SS&I) detail are improved. With the two layers of absorptive material and a gap between, max LF absorption is accomplished. I made no attempt to enhance absorption at a specific frequency.

Here is a rough diagram showing the basic design.

Front Wall Trap Design-front-room-traps-1.jpg.

Front Wall Trap Design-front-room-traps-2.jpg

The traps will stand so that ALL energy directly from the speaker reflecting off of the trap (early reflection) will be directed AWAY from the LP. Experiments have shown this to be critical for good imaging. Even a narrow edge of a board situated to send reflected energy toward the LP will cloud the SS&I performance.
ellisr63 and Lumen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-26-16, 09:52 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Front Wall Trap Design

That looks great Wayne, do you plan on building this? If so please post lots of Pics. I assume a version of this could go behind each main speaker (maybe the same design split in half?). Would be really nice if you could post production costs.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-26-16, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Yes, I am building it this week. The materials have been propped up against my front wall for some time as a proof-of-concept. Today I start cutting wood. There will be lots of pictures, and I will add detail to my diagram as well. It is a single unit that covers the wall between the speakers.

post #4 of 9 Old 07-26-16, 12:04 PM

Ron

My System

Is it a diffuser with absorption in the back?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-26-16, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Is it a diffuser with absorption in the back?
Yes, with a couple of qualifications. It is designed so more vertical slats can easily be added for experimenting with different types and amounts of diffusion. Also the angle of each free-standing panel can be varied.

The one imperative is there be NO surfaces that can contribute to early-reflection sound toward the LP, as it degrades Image Clarity at HF. There will be MF/HF absorption on the side of each panel that faces the LP and on the side of any 1-inch board (3/4 inch actual) that faces the LP.

Also, i will be looking at acoustically-transparent materials to cover it with. Dress it up a little.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-08-16, 03:14 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Looking forward to seeing this build come together Wayne. Please post lots of pics, yours looks like a pretty complex setup, at least assembly-wise, and I'm very interested in how it all comes together, and what your results look like.

- OJ -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-23-17, 11:27 PM

Ron

My System

Did you ever complete this...did it work out as planned, pics?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-24-17, 08:21 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

That's funny! I forgot all about this build. If I know Wayne he has his hands on about 50 projects r/t audio!!! He will get to it in due time unless something better comes along. We all know how that goes in the world of audio!
post #9 of 9 Old 02-24-17, 09:17 PM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

...and I'm just now discovering it. Way cool! Subscribed!!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am