Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Front Wall Trap Design

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Lumen 
#1 ·
Here is my front wall trap design. By damping any resonances or reflections involving the front wall, making them decay and die down quickly, bass snappiness is improved, and soundstage and imaging (SS&I) detail are improved. With the two layers of absorptive material and a gap between, max LF absorption is accomplished. I made no attempt to enhance absorption at a specific frequency.

Here is a rough diagram showing the basic design.

Text Line Parallel Font Diagram

Line Diagram Parallel

The traps will stand so that ALL energy directly from the speaker reflecting off of the trap (early reflection) will be directed AWAY from the LP. Experiments have shown this to be critical for good imaging. Even a narrow edge of a board situated to send reflected energy toward the LP will cloud the SS&I performance.

See less See more
#4 ·
Is it a diffuser with absorption in the back?

#5 ·
Yes, with a couple of qualifications. It is designed so more vertical slats can easily be added for experimenting with different types and amounts of diffusion. Also the angle of each free-standing panel can be varied.

The one imperative is there be NO surfaces that can contribute to early-reflection sound toward the LP, as it degrades Image Clarity at HF. There will be MF/HF absorption on the side of each panel that faces the LP and on the side of any 1-inch board (3/4 inch actual) that faces the LP.

Also, i will be looking at acoustically-transparent materials to cover it with. Dress it up a little.

#7 ·
Did you ever complete this...did it work out as planned, pics?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.