Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Rebirth of Relyea Cinema 1

12K views 51 replies 8 participants last post by  UreiCollector 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of re-constructing my home theater...the previous room was sold with with the house, and it's been several years since I've had space to rebuild, but I'm finally after it again!

Currently I've framed up the front wall, most of the riser (which will double as a sub-woofer enclosure), moved the back door from the theater to the kitchen, and have started the equipment rack which is in the wall shared with the garage.

Speakers will be UREI Studio Monitors for the front main channels (813 for the right and left, 815 for the center), 2x JBL 2242H 18" sub-woofers in custom made cabinets, 1x JBL 2042H 18" sub-woofer for the center front, 2x JBL 2215H 15" sub-woofers in the riser, and a pair of custom made surrounds (currently planned for 8" Thiel woofers, with B&G planar tweeters).'

Screen is an 106" Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Perf motorized unit...with the perforations, the center channel can be located directly behind the screen, so the center channel sound will come directly out of the picture.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My original plan for the riser accommodated the exterior door, however my wife made the executive decision to install a new door in the kitchen, and will be remove the door in the theater.

I'll be able to extend the riser into the corner now, giving us room for a full sized couch in the rear row as well as the front now.

With all the volume available in the riser itself (which is ~10" high), i decided to build sub-woofers into the riser...i had to get creative with mounting, and cut holes in the floor for the magnets to clear when installing/removing the drivers (I'll be sealing up the holes from the bottom).

Attachments

#8 ·
She really surprised me with the back door...she comes to me and says "honey, you're going to do all this work, and someday want to move the door....just do it now".

It was more work on the front end, but it will keep people (ie our kids) from trampling through our theater every time they go outside...and i won't have to re-carpet the riser later on.

Don't let her hear this...but she was right. :)

Attachments

#12 ·
Made a little more progress on the room today. All the old trim and wall paneling is down. I'll be pulling apart the bay window shelf tomorrow and lowering this to a comfortable seating level (indicated by the red line), and adding custom cushions and backrest. This is really just for spill-over seating, not everyday use...extra cushion and fabric should tame the room a bit more acoustically. The remaining volume below the seat is stuffed full of fiberglass, and i'm thinking i may cover that area with homasote and acoustic carpeting instead of sheet-rock to let this act as a bit of a bass trap...again, every bit will help.

Attachments

#15 ·
Front wall will be a "false wall"...speakers will all fire directly into the room, there will be 3x 18" subs across the lower front. I'll be sheetrocking the face, and based on acoustic measurements I'll decide if i need to fill the voids with sand or something else. I had contemplated removing the fireplace, but the extra effort for 6 inches of room depth wasn't worth it...and this leaves me with a potential selling point should i sell the house down the road.

This will be similar to the room I had back in 2009.

Attachments

#14 ·
This is going to be a great build!

Reactions: UreiCollector
#17 ·
Looks like this is going to be a great room. So the front wall is a full solid baffle wall with the speakers installed in it, right? (vs. a false wall framed out and covered in acoustic cloth, with the speakers behind) The old theatre looked really nice, and I bet it sounded fantastic. Keep up the good work!

#18 ·
Correct, this will be a full wall...2x6 construction with sheetrock face, and the Urei's will be soffit mounted. I'll be measuring everything with CLIO once the room is put together, and treating problems as i find them...damping resonances in sheetrock, etc.

The old room was nice, but this new room is going to be better...more acoustic treatments this time, and with the adjacent room, i'll have a far more manageable front to back standing wave to deal with.

#25 ·
I had a great productive weekend. The riser/sub-woofer-cabinet is stuffed with fiberglass, and the decking is installed. Carpet will be bull-nosed around the edge of both the top and steps. I'll be installing trim-work which will hide all of the framing and dress this up nice. I also sealed up the holes i needed to cut in the floor to facilitate installation/removal of the sub-woofers in the baffles.

Attachments

#31 ·
The bay window is almost done...it's come a long way since buying the house a little over a year ago. I sure don't miss that door...would you believe someone picked it up to make a picture frame out of it? $20 in my pocket, have fun hanging that heavy thing, ha ha! Of course there was a little surprise under the door from water infiltration, but we were able to fix it up nice.

The front of the bay window seat is covered with Homasote (available from Home Depot) and will have SoundChannels carpeting (http://www.acousticsfirst.com/sound-channels-wall-covering.htm) glued to the face...I've used the product before and like the appearance. The volume is stuffed with insulation.

Attachments

#33 ·
Looks great!

Reactions: UreiCollector
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.