New theater layout advice needed - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

7Likes

post #11 of 45 Old 08-09-16, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: New theater layout advice needed

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
My speakers are almost touching the screen... Are your speakers happy being close to the wall? We put 2" of Roxul on our front wall, and it worked out nicely.
I've always had then real close to the wall so I'm saying it won't be an issue.

How big of a door is "normal" for a theater? 24" is way to small, but I don't think a 36" makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 08-09-16, 08:01 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
blobula wrote: View Post
I've always had then real close to the wall so I'm saying it won't be an issue.

How big of a door is "normal" for a theater? 24" is way to small, but I don't think a 36" makes sense.
We went with 36" wide doors in our HT. Don't forget you will need to allow for moving furniture in the room too.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #13 of 45 Old 08-09-16, 08:03 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

For a door, 28"-30" will feel like a pretty normal opening. 24" will definitely feel small, and 36" will feel overly commercial. Almost any piece of furniture you can buy can be squeezed through a 30" door, but 28" might be pushing your luck.

Also - for purposes of getting furniture into the space I would consider putting the door on the back wall instead of the side, but that could very easily create traffic flow issues as it may place the door inconveniently close to the seating at the MLP. The point from Bryan about early reflections is good, but don't forget that you can add material to the door for the purpose of damping that reflection.

Layout questions are always interesting... we are often tempted to ignore all aspects of design other than those which optimize our listening/viewing experience. But when it comes to size and placement of a door, your best bet is to think of the function of the door above all else. There's nothing sillier than having to live with the regret of putting a door in the wrong place, especially when you have complete control over it.

Think about subwoofer placement as well. You'll definitely regret putting that door somewhere that makes you walk directly into a cabinet (or a couch, or an equipment rack, or the edge of the screen, or that post on the outside).

tl/dr - 30" is good.

post #14 of 45 Old 08-09-16, 08:04 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
We went with 36" wide doors in our HT. Don't forget you will need to allow for moving furniture in the room too.
Apparently we were thinking the same thing at the same time.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #15 of 45 Old 08-10-16, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
For a door, 28"-30" will feel like a pretty normal opening. 24" will definitely feel small, and 36" will feel overly commercial. Almost any piece of furniture you can buy can be squeezed through a 30" door, but 28" might be pushing your luck.

Also - for purposes of getting furniture into the space I would consider putting the door on the back wall instead of the side, but that could very easily create traffic flow issues as it may place the door inconveniently close to the seating at the MLP. The point from Bryan about early reflections is good, but don't forget that you can add material to the door for the purpose of damping that reflection.

Layout questions are always interesting... we are often tempted to ignore all aspects of design other than those which optimize our listening/viewing experience. But when it comes to size and placement of a door, your best bet is to think of the function of the door above all else. There's nothing sillier than having to live with the regret of putting a door in the wrong place, especially when you have complete control over it.

Think about subwoofer placement as well. You'll definitely regret putting that door somewhere that makes you walk directly into a cabinet (or a couch, or an equipment rack, or the edge of the screen, or that post on the outside).

tl/dr - 30" is good.
I appreciate your thoughts.

I'm leaning towards a 30" door as well. I would be fine with placing the door in the rear, however my concern is that might affect my options for rear speaker placement since I would most likely have an equipment type closet and a door on that wall? Ceiling height will be at about 7' when all is said and done.

For lighting do you think 4 6" can lights on one switch, and then some 3" can lights for accent lighting on a different switch be enough? I'm pretty sure 4 6" can lights would be more than enough. If I did a shallow soffit around the room I could place the 3" lights inside.
post #16 of 45 Old 08-10-16, 05:53 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

I would advise against angling he back walls. Angle the room across from the current door & put bass traps in those corners. move the door to in from of the corner (allow enough room for the trap).
post #17 of 45 Old 08-10-16, 06:18 PM

Ron

My System

Have you thought about instead of an equipment closet... having a pair of low cabinets across the rear wall with the door in the center to maintain symmetry? Another option if you go with an AT screen would to build a stage under the screen, and put your equipment there,

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #18 of 45 Old 08-10-16, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
I would advise against angling he back walls. Angle the room across from the current door & put bass traps in those corners. move the door to in from of the corner (allow enough room for the trap).
Hi Tonto,

I understand when you suggest not angling the rear walls, but I'm not following you on the second part? A crude sketch might help me visualize what you mean.

Thanks!
post #19 of 45 Old 08-10-16, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Have you thought about instead of an equipment closet... having a pair of low cabinets across the rear wall with the door in the center to maintain symmetry? Another option if you go with an AT screen would to build a stage under the screen, and put your equipment there,
That had actually crossed my mind and I'm certainly not opposed to it. I'd definitely want doors, or dark glass that would prevent the various lights from showing in the front on the equipment if I went that route.
post #20 of 45 Old 08-10-16, 07:06 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
blobula wrote: View Post
Hi Tonto,

I understand when you suggest not angling the rear walls, but I'm not following you on the second part? A crude sketch might help me visualize what you mean.

Thanks!
I believe what he is saying is...to move the door out of the corners, and then put bass traps in the corners.

Ron

My Home Theater