New theater layout advice needed - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

7Likes

post #21 of 45 Old 08-10-16, 10:36 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: New theater layout advice needed

I'm not very computer literate...the bottom right room...make the top left corner of that room angled & put the door in it. That way you can extend the wall of the theater room to square it off.

Last edited by Tonto; 08-10-16 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 Old 08-11-16, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Did some revisions on the plan I had taking into account all of the advice.

1. I squared the rear walls.
2. I put in two doors on the plan to try and decide which one to go with. I'm really leaning toward having the door on the side. I like it better.
3. Added a stage
4. Added false wall with 18" of depth behind
5. 106" 2:35 screen. From the screen to the back of the room I'm just under 12'. 11' 11".
6. The concrete that juts out on the left I will probably make a column on the right as well. Two speakers could be placed on them for 7.1 I believe.

[IMG][/IMG]

Positive changes?
post #23 of 45 Old 08-11-16, 03:53 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
blobula wrote: View Post
Did some revisions on the plan I had taking into account all of the advice.

1. I squared the rear walls.
2. I put in two doors on the plan to try and decide which one to go with. I'm really leaning toward having the door on the side. I like it better.
3. Added a stage
4. Added false wall with 18" of depth behind
5. 106" 2:35 screen. From the screen to the back of the room I'm just under 12'. 11' 11".
6. The concrete that juts out on the left I will probably make a column on the right as well. Two speakers could be placed on them for 7.1 I believe.

[IMG][/IMG]

Positive changes?
Looks good to me, but I would ditch the side door as it will most likely be at a first reflection point (you will want treatment at first reflection points)

If you hinge your screen...you could even put your equipment behind the screen (blocking off the lights). If the stage is high enough you can put your equipment below the screen. Which ever way you go make sure you ventilate the equipment area.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #24 of 45 Old 08-11-16, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

What do you think of the idea of having a pocket door or farmhouse style sliding barn door vs a door that swings into the theater in the back? I wouldn't be able to treat a sliding door I don't believe.

I understand that would be a weak area of soundproofing, but I'm not trying to obtain 100% complete sound proofing either.
post #25 of 45 Old 08-12-16, 07:24 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

The sliding door if inside the room would be OK - but as you said, soundproofing goes out the window then.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #26 of 45 Old 08-12-16, 07:21 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts.

I'm leaning towards a 30" door as well. I would be fine with placing the door in the rear, however my concern is that might affect my options for rear speaker placement since I would most likely have an equipment type closet and a door on that wall? Ceiling height will be at about 7' when all is said and done.

For lighting do you think 4 6" can lights on one switch, and then some 3" can lights for accent lighting on a different switch be enough? I'm pretty sure 4 6" can lights would be more than enough. If I did a shallow soffit around the room I could place the 3" lights inside.

Yeah, I imagine that will be plenty of light. I would even go so far as to put them on a dimmer switch so you can leave them on nice and low during viewing. For accent lighting, you might look into MR16 cans since they allow a lot of flexibility in terms of beam angle and output... but it might also be cool to use that soffit to mount LED strips. You can get a large quantity of low output, which results in a nice even wash on the wall... and you could build in the option of color mixing so you can customize the color of that wash.

Another thought - You might enjoy providing some bias lighting on the wall behind the screen. If you paint that wall a neutral grey (some shade of grey that is evenly balanced instead of shifted towards red, green, or blue) and light around the screen at 6500K, you'll provide a color-neutral border around the screen and your eyes will register color more evenly, accurately, and comfortably. The theory is that it reduces eye strain and makes color correction easier and more accurate... which results in a truer reproduction of the original color composition of the source material. Since you're building this room from zero, you have an opportunity many of us don't. You could also be perfectly happy ignoring this line of reasoning entirely.
post #27 of 45 Old 08-12-16, 07:34 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
What do you think of the idea of having a pocket door or farmhouse style sliding barn door vs a door that swings into the theater in the back? I wouldn't be able to treat a sliding door I don't believe.

I understand that would be a weak area of soundproofing, but I'm not trying to obtain 100% complete sound proofing either.
Pocket doors have a huge advantage in that they do not require clearances to open and close, and they also open completely which makes it easier to get things in and out of the room... but the biggest drawback is not the door itself but the void in the wall where it must live while it is open. You're stuck with a section of wall (the width of the door) that cannot have a stud. Normally, this just means you can't hang something on that side of the door. This may or may not be an issue... but what is likely to be an issue is the fact that you'll have a very large surface area of wall material that is unsupported and therefore almost impossible to dampen. It will vibrate when the subs get aggressive about delivering The Business, and there isn't much you can do about it (that will actually work) that is not complicated and expensive.

Corners - you had them angled in the first drawing, and my gut reaction is that's the way to go. It will increase the amount of clearance between the new wall and the existing wall, and make that passage feel less cramped. Squaring that off might feel really weird in terms of traffic flow. My next question is this: do you need the room to be symmetrical? Having one corner chamfered and the the other square may not really be an issue... you can make a mount in the squared corner to put a rear channel in the same position relative to MLP as the chamfered corner, and you can kill two birds with one stone by making it look like it is chamfered by building a massive bass trap into that corner.
post #28 of 45 Old 08-12-16, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
DqMcClain wrote: View Post
Yeah, I imagine that will be plenty of light. I would even go so far as to put them on a dimmer switch so you can leave them on nice and low during viewing. For accent lighting, you might look into MR16 cans since they allow a lot of flexibility in terms of beam angle and output... but it might also be cool to use that soffit to mount LED strips. You can get a large quantity of low output, which results in a nice even wash on the wall... and you could build in the option of color mixing so you can customize the color of that wash.

Another thought - You might enjoy providing some bias lighting on the wall behind the screen. If you paint that wall a neutral grey (some shade of grey that is evenly balanced instead of shifted towards red, green, or blue) and light around the screen at 6500K, you'll provide a color-neutral border around the screen and your eyes will register color more evenly, accurately, and comfortably. The theory is that it reduces eye strain and makes color correction easier and more accurate... which results in a truer reproduction of the original color composition of the source material. Since you're building this room from zero, you have an opportunity many of us don't. You could also be perfectly happy ignoring this line of reasoning entirely.
Thank you so much for your thoughts.

I am all about the accent lighting by the screen, led strips around the soffit etc... I love that type of look. My struggle is planning it all out the exact way I want it, but that can also be a problem because I'll never settle on something.

Led lighting in the soffit is a great look and I also like the led lighting along the bottom trim area of the floor. I want to make sure the room is sleek and clean and I don't overdo anything.

My main reason for angling both walls was to make the room symetrical, but also I had a thought of possibly putting a dead vent in the left angled wall that was an empty cavity.
post #29 of 45 Old 08-13-16, 09:19 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

If it were my room I'd keep the back corners square & put triangular bass absorbers in them. The end result will be an angled appearance.
post #30 of 45 Old 08-13-16, 01:22 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

Pocket doors do indeed not take a lot of space. That said, they're almost certain to rattle when the sub kicks in. Also, I would make the depth behind the screen wall 24". At 18", there are a lot of subs that won't fit back there.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician