New theater layout advice needed - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

7Likes

post #31 of 45 Old 08-14-16, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
bpape wrote: View Post
Pocket doors do indeed not take a lot of space. That said, they're almost certain to rattle when the sub kicks in. Also, I would make the depth behind the screen wall 24". At 18", there are a lot of subs that won't fit back there.
Just thinking out loud but I wonder if having a double stud wall with the door sliding between them would do anything? Might be able to construct something with weather stripping that could seal around the door.

Are bass traps needed in all fours corners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 08-14-16, 04:12 PM

Ron

My System
Re: New theater layout advice needed

Quote:
blobula wrote: View Post
Just thinking out loud but I wonder if having a double stud wall with the door sliding between them would do anything? Might be able to construct something with weather stripping that could seal around the door.

Are bass traps needed in all fours corners?
I was thinking of this, and I might have come up with a better idea... When you have a pocket door you have a problem when the door is closed the cavity is open and subject to let sound through. My idea is to use a hanging door on one side, and then install some nice seals to seal the door. You could put some tracks on the side of the door opening to assure that they door doesn't float out, and maintains a nice seal.

Bass traps are best used in all corner IMO, but Bryan can tell you definitively.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #33 of 45 Old 08-14-16, 05:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape

I guess my big question is why not just a single 36" wide door that opens out? That solves all of the issues and for a lot less work and money. It's opening into the kids' playroom so it's not like it's a party place with a bar and pool table that you'd like to be able to see from.
ellisr63 likes this.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #34 of 45 Old 08-15-16, 01:16 PM
Shackster

UreiCollector

Personally, I would avoid putting the door near the front of the room...that location is a major source of first reflections, and one of the first areas you would want to treat with acoustic absorption. The inevetable movement of people into and out of the room during movies will also be a distraction.

For lighting, I'd suggest going with separate dimmers for each "row" of lights...that way you can trim the lighting level at the front/mid/rear/wall accent locations. It's just a little extra work at the front end of the project...having to change it after the room is done would be way more effort.

Since no walls are framed yet...have you considered building the walls at non-right angles? Parallel walls are awful acoustically, you have more flexibility than most of us, give you haven't framed anything yet.

Frederick
post #35 of 45 Old 08-15-16, 01:25 PM
Shackster

UreiCollector

One more thought...I don't see a double bottom plate in your drawings. The first bottom plate in contact with the concrete should be pressure treated and nailed to the concrete. Then you build the wall on the floor (laying down) with a regular top plate and bottom plate, but 1 1/2 inches short....tip it up and slide it in between the first bottom plate and the floor joists above..plumb it and nail.

I'd also recommend a sub-floor like DRIcore, it will leave an airgap for the concrete to breathe (lot's of moisture can work it's way through a slab suprisingly), and will make the room comfortable enough to wear socks in even during the dead of winter.
doublejroc likes this.

Frederick
post #36 of 45 Old 08-15-16, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank you for the thoughts UreiCollector.

Yeah I think I will keep the door in the back and have it swing out rather than into the room.

No nothing has been framed yet. My sketchup isn't accurate down to the exact framing, but I do appreciate the tips and reminders. Are you saying frame all four corners of the room to be angled? Per other suggestions it also seems best to keep them at 90 degress and place bass traps in the corners.

For lighting I was thinking of going with the Lutron Caseta system. Trying to read up more on it. I'd be open to other options that have worked for others.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
post #37 of 45 Old 08-15-16, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
I guess my big question is why not just a single 36" wide door that opens out? That solves all of the issues and for a lot less work and money. It's opening into the kids' playroom so it's not like it's a party place with a bar and pool table that you'd like to be able to see from.
I agree. I'll go that route.
post #38 of 45 Old 08-15-16, 04:39 PM
Shackster

UreiCollector

Quote:
Thank you for the thoughts UreiCollector.

Yeah I think I will keep the door in the back and have it swing out rather than into the room.

No nothing has been framed yet. My sketchup isn't accurate down to the exact framing, but I do appreciate the tips and reminders. Are you saying frame all four corners of the room to be angled? Per other suggestions it also seems best to keep them at 90 degress and place bass traps in the corners.

For lighting I was thinking of going with the Lutron Caseta system. Trying to read up more on it. I'd be open to other options that have worked for others.

I'm in agreement with the others that bass traps in the corner would be more beneficial than chopping off the corners. What I'm referring to is that our rooms tend to be retangular boxes, with side walls, front to back walls, and ceiling to floor being parallel to each other. Recording studios are one place you'll never see this arrangement, though most of us don't have the flexibility to mimic a studio, you have a blank slate that affords you at least a little flexibility. If only possible in one plane, say perhaps side walls, it's better than nothing...a trapezoid shaped room should have a less problematic issue with at least the side to side standing wave. Though it does change the angle of the first reflection off the side walls, and could alter your acoustic treatment. Just food for thought, so everything is considered before you start framing.

You would of course need a new plan for the space outside of the room, as getting around the theater would become more restricted, and you would waste a little space behind the screen, but it's all about compromises. Notice in the attached image that front to back would still be parallel (orange arrow), but side to side is now non-parallel (green arrow). I do subscribe to a symmetrical room, at least at the front end...but anything that helps break up the shape of a room and make it less boxy is generally a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails
New theater layout advice needed-roomadvice.jpg  

ellisr63 likes this.

Frederick
post #39 of 45 Old 08-15-16, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
UreiCollector wrote: View Post
I'm in agreement with the others that bass traps in the corner would be more beneficial than chopping off the corners. What I'm referring to is that our rooms tend to be retangular boxes, with side walls, front to back walls, and ceiling to floor being parallel to each other. Recording studios are one place you'll never see this arrangement, though most of us don't have the flexibility to mimic a studio, you have a blank slate that affords you at least a little flexibility. If only possible in one plane, say perhaps side walls, it's better than nothing...a trapezoid shaped room should have a less problematic issue with at least the side to side standing wave. Though it does change the angle of the first reflection off the side walls, and could alter your acoustic treatment. Just food for thought, so everything is considered before you start framing.

You would of course need a new plan for the space outside of the room, as getting around the theater would become more restricted, and you would waste a little space behind the screen, but it's all about compromises. Notice in the attached image that front to back would still be parallel (orange arrow), but side to side is now non-parallel (green arrow). I do subscribe to a symmetrical room, at least at the front end...but anything that helps break up the shape of a room and make it less boxy is generally a good thing.
Very interesting! The room could always be flipped as well so the 'wide' portion is on the back concrete wall. This would make getting around the theater room better.
UreiCollector likes this.
post #40 of 45 Old 08-15-16, 06:00 PM
Shackster

UreiCollector

Quote:
...For lighting I was thinking of going with the Lutron Caseta system. Trying to read up more on it. I'd be open to other options that have worked for others.

I like that idea a lot! I had used the Lutron IR dimmers in my last room, and loved them. I could program the "scene" to different levels for each section of the room (3 zones), so when the lights turned on they all came up to a different visually pleasing start levels, then i could use the up and down dim and they would all track together. It was inexpensive and worked very well! I believe I had to reprogram the scene after power outages, but it wasn't a big deal, and they may have that issue fixed in the newer dimmers. Integration with the Logitech Remotes on this new product you linked to is a very welcome addition. I think you've tipped me off to my next set of dimmers, thanks Blobula!

Frederick