Need a place to start - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Need a place to start

Hello all, I am currently waiting for my new home to be built. This is the first time I will have a dedicated media room. Not really sure where to start. Attached is the layout of the room. It has what I assume is a false wall for storage, but not sure how I would put equipment back there and still control it.

I will be putting all new equipment in the room as the current TV will stay downstairs in the great room.

So that being said I have roughly 15 to 18K from the bettter half to work with.

Where do I start.
Attached Thumbnails
Need a place to start-new-home-second-floor.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 08:59 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

Send a message via AIM to bpape Send a message via Skype™ to bpape
Re: Need a place to start

is it a fabric and stud wall or is it drywalled?

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

drywall

post #4 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 11:36 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

An IR repeater will work great. The only thing you'll need to go back for is to put in a DVD. You can keep the discs back there too.

Check out Xantech

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the link, looks like that will work great I can hide it in the wall somewhere.

Do you think I could get 2 rows of seats in a room that size and not be sitting to close to the TV?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 11:52 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Bryan Pape

That all depends on how big the TV is. You don't want the 2nd row slammed against a wall. Ideally the front row would be about 7' or 14' from the TV wall.

Bryan Pape
Lead Acoustician

post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 12:33 PM

Ron

My System

A lot of the Audio/Video equipment anymore can be controlled via your phone or tablet using WIFI. I like this option as WIFI goes through walls.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Should I pay to have the contractor pre wire for speakers or is that easy enough to do. I want to buy the speakers myself and install them due to the selection the builder provided. I would have to let them know by the end of the month.

I was thinking of in-wall for the front and in-ceiling for the rears?

I am assuming carpet is what I want for flooring.

Do I need to add any extra lighting or outlets in the room?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 05:56 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
schrammhse wrote: View Post
Should I pay to have the contractor pre wire for speakers or is that easy enough to do. I want to buy the speakers myself and install them due to the selection the builder provided. I would have to let them know by the end of the month.

I was thinking of in-wall for the front and in-ceiling for the rears?

I am assuming carpet is what I want for flooring.

Do I need to add any extra lighting or outlets in the room?
I have in-wall speakers myself, due to limitations presented by the layout of my room, and the look I wanted... but they're DIY designs and well-suited to their environment. If you have the option, you'll probably be happier with something free-standing. If you want side/rear/atmos channels, definitely have the builder run wiring for you unless you have access to an attic space above the ceiling in that room. Otherwise (like in my case), running wires behind walls can be a major headache. The only caveat is that you have to know ahead of time where those speakers will be mounted, and where your equipment rack is going to be... but it sounds like you've already got a good idea on both of those questions.

Extra lighting... that's up to you. They can't really sell you a house with lighting that doesn't meet some minimal standard, but whether or not you're happy with that is a matter of taste. It also has a lot to do with how the room is decorated and what you want to highlight and/or mute.

Extra power is a different matter. If you can get them to do it, having a dedicated breaker for your equipment rack is advisable... even better if they can give you a ground-isolated circuit. If you're planning on having monstrous subwoofers it might be a good idea to provide an additional dedicated circuit (or perhaps one-per-unit for multiple subs) for that as they can be power-hungry and you might notice the performance suffer a bit if they start to approach the limits of the power that is provided.

Flooring - carpet is a good move. It sops up unwanted reflections off the floor, and gives you an acoustic environment with one less surface to try and tame. You might notice slightly better or worse performance in this regard between different styles of carpet, but in general carpet is carpet. Choose it for its qualities as a floor covering, and don't worry about anything else.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-16-16, 09:14 PM

Ron

My System

You can do your own speaker wiring if the walls are still open. As far as carpet... get a good thick dense pad, as it will also effect the acoustics of the room.
DqMcClain likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.