Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

adding outlets to HT room

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  fschris 
#1 ·
I am going to need to install couple outlets into a closet for my HT room. I picked up 2 30amp berakers and 4 x 20 amp breakers. I want to have plenty of power. should I use 10/2 or 12/2.
Romex? I am thinking this will give me service to 6 outlets in the closet with enough juice for a ton of gear.

#2 ·
what do you plan on running? thats overkill in every way.

#3 ·
I don't know much about electricity, but when we were doing my room... I was told that there is a specific gauge wire for x amount of amps, and you do not go bigger gauge than what the code says. Maybe Talley will step in and let you know what is required.

#4 ·
too add to that you should also never run a higher amp breaker than the equipment is rated for. if something was to ever go wrong you would have no protection. Its better to run several dedicated 15amp circuits than one or two 30amp ones.

Reactions: NBPk402
#5 ·
One other thing. the 'devices' (outlets, switches, etc.) have to be rated correctly for the amperage. You would be much better served using more 20A circuits, all 12 ga wire, and appropriate devices.

#7 ·
Here is the some of the gear I need to support. I thought about the 30A breakers because I would plug multiple items into a cyberpower UPS units I have 2 x
CP1350PFCLCD = Capacity: 1350 VA / 810 W

1 x Emotiva XPR-2
2 x Emotiva XPA-2
1x Emovtia XMC-100
1x Emotiva XMC-1
2 x PEAVY IPR 5000

1x PC Server UNRAID

Future:
5-7 Channel Emotiva XPA GEN 3
Maybe an Additional XPR

I plan to do this work myself...No electricians ;)

#8 ·
I thought about the 30A breakers because I would plug multiple items into a cyberpower UPS units I have 2 x
CP1350PFCLCD = Capacity: 1350 VA / 810 W
:nono: You can still only plug those into a 15amp circuit, run two dedicated 15amp circuits and that will be more than enough.

1 x Emotiva XPR-2
2 x Emotiva XPA-2
1x Emovtia XMC-100
1x Emotiva XMC-1
2 x PEAVY IPR 5000

1x PC Server UNRAID

Future:
5-7 Channel Emotiva XPA GEN 3
Maybe an Additional XPR
Two more dedicated 15amp circuits would be way more than you need for these as well even if you added another XPR

I plan to do this work myself...No electricians ;)
given you were planning to run 30amp breakers to the above I think you should get an electrician to at least go over what you want to do. You clearly do not know what your doing. VERY DANGEROUS

#9 ·
20A circuits for the amps are fine. No problem having a bit of headroom if you ever get a beast amp. Maybe a couple if you every plan on huge monos. Everything else is pretty low amperage draw.

#12 ·
A 15A breaker with 12 ga wire is against code everywhere I know of. 15A - 14 ga. 20A - 12 ga. As was said earlier. 20A over 15A is not much more expensive. I generally do all 20's except for lighting

Reactions: NBPk402
#15 ·
A 15A breaker with 12 ga wire is against code everywhere I know of. 15A - 14 ga. 20A - 12 ga.
Not arguing, just curious. This seems counterintuitive to me. 12ga is the larger diameter, which carries more current. It would work just fine electrically and thermally, but may have mechanical issues mating with the smaller terminals of a 20A breaker, correct? Perhaps that's why it's against code, because of the danger of a loose connection.

#16 ·
why would i hire an electrician when we have you tube ;)
it may seem funny but if an electrician electrocutes himself he is covered by compensation if you get electrocuted your not and the electric company would shut off your power until you had the entire house brought up to code costing Thousands. Not to mention the fire risk if you do it wrong.

Spend the $100 and simply have a certified electrician come in and just inspect your work after your done. Doing the work yourself is allowed in your own home but it must be inspected.

#18 ·
The danger is someone trying to tie in to a circuit based on wire guage and not looking at the breaker. Yes - people do work circuits hot. Yes - the breaker SHOULD still trip if the circuit is overloaded. It's just an additional layer of safety.

#21 ·
Well There will be a lot of equipment in the room. The room is served with one 20amp breaker and 12/2 to the junction box.

I will most likely be running one of those portable AC machines as well....

I already ran the additional outlet that I will use for the AC machine. I just used exactly what the other outlets used. I used a 20amp breaker and 12/2. I live in Charleston SC and the FROG gets hot even with the regular house AC and nothing in that room it is already warm. When its 89-90 degrees at 8PM and I want to listen to some music or watch a movie the room will be a sauna even if I just have the whole house AC running. I did not build this house and its not my forever house either. So I don't think I want to add anymore major upgrades like a Split System or upgrade the existing AC.

I will probably use something like this
http://www.lg.com/us/air-conditioners/lg-LP1215GXR-portable-air-conditioner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.