Possibly our next home theater ... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

6Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 05-11-17, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Possibly our next home theater ...

We have a possible house for our next home theater. I have a few questions though. It has about 8' tall windows on the right side of the room the full length of the room, with one identical window on the left side, and the room is open in the hall end which has round pillars.

So the seller is the designer, and said they can change the room for us for a fee of course.

I was thinking of having them remove the windows, and wall the entry in as one option. The other option I was thinking would be to have them make wooden doors that would completely cover the windows. As far as the opening I was thinking have them integrate a wall with a nice 4' wide door for entry.

I will be running at least 2 DTS10 subs, and my new synergy speakers behind the screen. The screen will be on the current short wall which us a solid wall.
The room is symmetrical so the left side is identical. I will get more pics tomorrow of the room, but I think the room is actually larger than my Negatron one is now. If so I can go with a curved front screen and the ceiling beams would be great for attaching the atmos channels.

What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
CricketVS likes this.

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.

Last edited by ellisr63; 05-11-17 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-11-17, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System
Re: Possibly our next home theater ...

Saved for future pics.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by ellisr63; 05-11-17 at 09:37 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-11-17, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Ron

My Home Theater

post #4 of 16 Old 05-11-17, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I am estimating the room is 18' wide and 21' long.

One more question... would covering the windows with solid wood covers work as effectively as replacing the windows with brick or Concrete(I ask this as the stone wall separating the neighbor is about 5' behind the screen wall, and the side windows are single pain glass)? I think cosmetically the wood covers might look nicer plus allow the room to be used for a large living room as an alternative purpose. I could even hinge the fixed screen from the ceiling which would then reveal the audio equipment.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #5 of 16 Old 05-12-17, 12:30 AM
Senior Shackster

Hi Ron,

I like that room; the ceiling, the windows. I would go for wood doors, French style, nice thick wood to cover and uncover those very nice windows @ will.
Your idea of dual purpose space is the right one; Spanish hospitality living room and conquistador movie time @ night with the lights dimmed perfectly.

Keep this very nice inviting room her cachet. IMO
_____

Just some pics (ideas):

Or this (drapes):

ellisr63 and thrillcat like this.

Life, Love & the Blues
post #6 of 16 Old 05-12-17, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

I met with the seller today, and she thought removing them would be best for sound isolation. She said she would Integrate the styling of the windows with the new wall. I also found out the room is almost 19' wide and 29' Long! The ceilings are over 10' high too. She said she will build a wall between the pillars and Install a solid wood door for the entry. We will also have a split A/C setup in the house. She will also install a whole house surge protector for us. I can easily install atmos speakers to the beams in the ceiling too. Above the door will be a spot to mount the the projector too. I know I will have to do a lot of acoustic treatment as the floor is marble and the walls are all stone with a brick and wood ceiling. I hope we are able to get this house as it will fit all our needs.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #7 of 16 Old 05-12-17, 01:43 PM
Senior Shackster

I hope for you Ron, and your wife. If one person deserves it it's you.

Best regards
ellisr63 likes this.

Life, Love & the Blues
post #8 of 16 Old 05-12-17, 10:11 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Looks beautiful Ron. Lots of potential.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-13-17, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Now we have to sell our house to do a cash buy of the new house... I hope we can get it sold fast.

Ron

My Home Theater

post #10 of 16 Old 05-14-17, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Ron

My System

Well it looks like we won't be getting this home as it is facing in the wrong direction for fungus sheu. It looks like we might go custom built. If we do I an shooting for a little longer and maybe even wider. If I get to go this route, I would like to run the synergy diy speakers on the surrounds, and maybe the atmos channels too. The speakers are around 200lbs each so they will need heavy duty supports and at least 12 foot ceilings. We will also be looking at electromagnetic interference in the new home, and I have been told to have cactus growing in the room knocks the interference down. This means we would have a equipment room with skylights and cactus growing in that room. Only the speakers would be in the room with all the other equipment in another room, possibly even the projector. If all goes right this is going to be an entirely different style of build. We hopefully will know what is going to happen in the next few months. I do know it will be a clay brick home, and we will be in Mexico. The only rooms that might have air conditioning will be the equipment room, and bedrooms. The walls will all be over 1 foot thick, and from what I saw on my trip last week the rooms stay nice and cool even when it is almost 80f outside which is about as hot as it gets where we are moving. The one thing is we will be at 5000 feet do the projector will need to be run in high altitude mode. The house will be a Spanish style with maybe a modern mix. I am pushing for at least 20' wide, and 30 feet long.

I am thinking of making some bass traps for the area from the screen to the side walls... 2-4' wide x 4' deep. These would go on each side of the screen and go floor to ceiling. The front screen wall would have 2" deep roxul along the front wall, and some type of black material above the AT&T screen. The AT&T screen would lift up with hydraulics for displaying the front speakers, and maybe a flat panel tv... although I don't throw it it would be a waste of money to do this as moving from a 195" screen to a 70" might be a huge disappointment.

We love the curved brick ceilings, but I don't think it would look right in the HT with atmos channels so it will be a ceiling like the one in the pic.

Ron

My Home Theater