My Cleverly Named Dedicated Basement Theater Design/Build - Page 12 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #111 of 229 Old 12-09-11, 12:34 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: My Cleverly Named Dedicated Basement Theater Design/Build

I think I have just had an AHA! moment.

I think you will be seeing a wall very similar to that in my closet........

Nicely done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 229 Old 12-13-11, 12:52 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Great idea with the wiring closet, and very well implemented. That's slick. There are so many ways to get wiring set up, and most of them have compromises for accessibility, ease of connectivity, neatness, etc... but your method seems to cover them all!

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)

DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)

post #113 of 229 Old 03-30-12, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Ok...shame on me. Progress has been slow and I haven't had any time to update my thread. Excuses (busy at work, remodeled laundry room, new exhaust hood installed in kitchen...) Excuses. SO ANYWAY...here is where I'm at. I've completely finished the main room adjacent to the theater. This was necessary to help contain all the dirt and dust I'm making in the theater. All the rough wiring is done. All the rough construction is done except for insulation. I could drywall tomorrow if I wanted to, but I decided to build all of my speakers and subs first. I'll be using the theater room as a workshop for the near future.

So, that is where I'm at. I purchased all of my speaker kits. I bought four 15" rythmik audio drivers with two of the associated 600W amps. I have three identical Seas MTM kits that are derived from the Idunn kit sold by Madisound. Those will obviously be my three front mains. I also have two pairs of the standard MT Idunn kits for surrounds. Box building to commence immediately.

Here are some pictures of the room at the moment.

This is the wall separating the main basment from the theater. Since this was taken, I've installed crown and trim. I will be putting a built in entertainment center on this wall.

Here is the room. You can see my wiring, backer boxes for my columns and some conduit and things for the front of the room.

Here is the back wall of the room. Two more column boxes and conduit to the connector plates for the adjacent room.

Every single outlet, switch, signal plate or other penetration in the theater drywall has an MDF backer box.

Here is a close up of the column backer box. The surround speakers will go inside and the whole thing will be covered and trimmed out with hardwood and speaker GOM Fabric.

Here are the boxes at the front of the room. There are two power outlets. One of them is on the circuit for the whole room. The second is a dedicated 20A circuit for the subs. The dedicated circuit has one additional outlet in the equipment rack for my main channel amps.

This is a picture of the ceiling. To the left is the backer box for my projector lift. The projector lift is necessary to position the projector at the proper height when zooming for my CIH screen in 2.35 ratio. The box to the right is a dual speaker box for overhead speakers. There are two 10L enclosures and a removable baffle plate for future expansion.

Any questions so far?

Matt

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.....
post #114 of 229 Old 03-30-12, 02:22 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Just one - do you hire out?

Seriously though, thanks for the update. I was getting close to posting to see how you were coming along! Are you planning to start a thread in the DIY section for the speaker building process?

post #115 of 229 Old 03-30-12, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

I do work for my friends, but I think Madison is a bit far I just picked up a basement job for a neighbor of mine. That would should be pretty simple though...speaker wire, coax, network, just the basics. I will document a the speaker build in a separate thread. That one, however, I won't start until I have completed the speaker project.

Matt

post #116 of 229 Old 06-23-12, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Just posted my speaker build thread here.

On to building my subs next.

Matt

post #117 of 229 Old 09-29-12, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

Today is a great day!!!! My subs moved out of the workshop (theater room) and into the other room for paint. I've begun cleaning the 3/8" thick layer of MDF dust off of every horizontal surface in the theater. I will be moving on to insulation and drywall soon!!! PROGRESS!!! You have no idea how anxious I am. Lets hope I can keep forward momentum!!!

Matt

post #118 of 229 Old 10-01-12, 02:17 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
hddummy wrote: View Post
Today is a great day!!!! My subs moved out of the workshop (theater room) and into the other room for paint. I've begun cleaning the 3/8" thick layer of MDF dust off of every horizontal surface in the theater. I will be moving on to insulation and drywall soon!!! PROGRESS!!! You have no idea how anxious I am. Lets hope I can keep forward momentum!!!
Great to hear Matt!

Are there pictures?

post #119 of 229 Old 10-04-12, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Matt

I just started my thread to document the subwoofer build.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post553305

Matt

Last edited by hddummy; 10-05-12 at 11:04 AM.
post #120 of 229 Old 10-05-12, 10:48 AM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

This is an awesome build from the bottom up! So far I think my favorite innovative thing you've put in is your AV panel on hinges. That is a great idea because when you look at it you think, "duh, why couldn't I think of that!"