Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

MysticalJet Theater 2.0

39K views 89 replies 18 participants last post by  joed 
#1 · (Edited)
***EDIT 1/11/2014

Some newer photos taken with Canon T3i. Still learning the camera but these are better than the previous set.

Picture from doorway entering Theater.

Entering the Theater with lights on

Similar photo with less light

Similar photo a bit over exposed so you can see everything a bit clearer - but colors are off.

From just behind second row seating.

From directly in front of center of screen facing seats. In the back right you can see the fabric door I built to conceal the A/V rack.

Angled shot from the front.

Well, had to leave the last theater behind because we moved for a job. I was in Connecticut and now I'm in North Carolina. We have been in the new house for a little over a year (and boy do I miss the theater!). Unfortunately, it is difficult to find houses with basements so we did our best to find a house with a room that could be transformed. The house we bought has a bonus room above the garage, and although not ideal, I could envision a theater.

Over the year there have been other projects that had priority over the theater, but I am finally at the point where I have started the build and thought I'd share it on this forum. I plan on indexing the progress with quick links within the thread (if I can figure out how). So here we go...

*** Reserved for final photos

Index

A) Plans/Drawings with measurements
B) Electrical/Wiring Layout
C) Removing Carpet
D) Wiring, Moving HVAC Vents, Installing Can Lights
E) Drywall Patching and Painting
F) Stage Build
G) Riser Build
H) Window "Plug"
I) Carpet Selection/Install and here
J) Crown Molding/Rope lighting
K) Front wall Treatment/Bass Traps
L) False Wall Build
M) Column build and install
N) Rack Closet/Rack Build
O) Screen Build
P) Screen Wall Fabric Frame Install
Q) Baseboard and trim install
R) Seating
S) Wall Panel, Decoration, Popcorn/Candy Stand
T) Rear Speaker Upgrade
U) HTPC (final) - Link to build thread in my signature

See less See more
#35 ·
Bump this thread for 2 reasons:

1) Another update for P) Screen Wall Fabric Frame Install - updated photos with screen shots.

and

2) My father in law is up for the holiday and I was able to take some photos with his camera - which is nicer and does better in low light (I'm still lobbying for a DLSR for XMAS :D). Here are some shots of the screen wall from the entry way:

On to the A/V Rack ...

#36 · (Edited)
The A/V rack/Closet has been a work in progress since the beginning of the build. I had framed it very early and ran all wiring to terminate in the closet.

I have been focusing more attention on the rack and closet of late. this is 100% DIY so I did not buy a commercial rack. Instead I am using MDF for shelving and racking system typically used in closets (metal track and metal arms that slip into slots).

Closet is not complete - I still have to wire management, trim it out, add face plates, and add a rear access door but here are the progress pics thus far.

I think this one might be earlier in the post somewhere, but here is the original cutout for the recessed rack.

Anther earlier pic.

Pic from behind closet with the vertical support and shelf brackets to be used.

Pic from behind with unfinished shelving.

Pic from the front with unfinished shelving.

I painted the shelving black and started loading up with equipment. Still need to finish up with wire management. There are a few empty spaces for future components (particularly a couple amps I'm targeting),

From behind:

Front View:

** Update 12/21/2011
As you can see here, the case molding around the AV rack closet is installed and painted. Baseboard cut and dry fitted.

BTW- The edit function is gone for the first thread so I cannot update the hyperlinks for the specific topis within the thread - anyway to fix this?

#38 ·
Baseboard, trim molding, and door.

well, spent a majority of my recent theater time doing some finishing type work. added molding around the sub cubby's and A/V rack closet. Also cut and installed all the baseboard moldings.

Materials:
48 linear ft. 5 1/4" X 1/2" MDF baseboard
12 linear ft. pine molding
16 linear ft case molding
finishing nails
black paint

Cost: roughly $80

All in all, I think the baseboard and the moldings really pull everything together. the theater is useable and I have tested the sound and the picture and so far I am very pleased. I will try to get some screen shots up, but my camera does not do very well with that - so we'll see.

Progress/pictures:

Baseboard dry fitted:

Baseboard painted and attached to the wall:

closer-up pic of one column:

Another of the AV rack closet:

Entry Door - I have additional plans for the door in the future, but for now here it is painted.

Next up: (not necessarily in this order)
Move candy stand and popcorn machine in room
Install AV closet door
Install sound treatment panels on walls
purchase and install theater seats
purchase and install dimmers

#43 ·
Watched my first full movie in the theater last night - cowboys vs. aliens. How can I do that without seats you ask .... here is your answer.

Decided to go with RSH fusion Lagoon seats. 2 rows 3 seats. I will be posting my review in the seat section and will update the link here. Lets just say they are very comfortable and well worth the price!

I ordered the seats on Tuesday and they arrived on Thursday in six separate boxes:

I unpacked all the chairs in the garage and had a buddy help me carry them upstairs to the theater. They aren't really that heavy each, but you do need two to maneuver because they are to bulky for one person. The tops are separate from the bottoms which make it easier to move around.

So we got all the bottoms in place:

Then attached all the tops:

Here is a major contribution from my wife ;)

Wow they look comfy!

Also, just ordered the dual band insteon dimmers. Should arrive by the end of the week.

Any recommendations for an IR blaster/repeater if I decide to go that route? Preferably on the utilizes Cat5 or better.

Oh by the way, I also moved my candy stand and popcorn machine into the room:

Ok so I still owe you all screen shots and I will do that soon. I also still have to install the door for the AV closet, fabric panels to the walls, light dimmers, and improve the entry door.

#44 ·
Those seats look VERY nice MJ - I kinda wish Berkline had gone out of business a few months earlier! (so I would have bought those instead). The pillows are a nice touch too, I need to find something like that to add a little color and tie them into the overall color theme.

For IR repeater, I used a Hot Link Pro XL - it extends over cat5 wiring (I have the eye over the screen, and the gear in a closet, with ethernet connecting them). They're very affordable, and functional - not as fancy as some of the higher end offerings though, you just stick the emitters to the face plates, if you want one that hooks into mini jacks on the back of gear, it gets more complicated and expensive.

#45 · (Edited)
For IR repeater, I used a Hot Link Pro XL - it extends over cat5 wiring (I have the eye over the screen, and the gear in a closet, with ethernet connecting them). They're very affordable, and functional - not as fancy as some of the higher end offerings though, you just stick the emitters to the face plates, if you want one that hooks into mini jacks on the back of gear, it gets more complicated and expensive.
The seats are very comfy for me. I had tried quite a few and went with these sight unseen - took a gamble based on previous reviews and the fact that they are from Roman.

Thanks for the info on the IR repeater - exactly what I'm looking for !!! thanks Brad.

#46 ·
Received the insteon and installed. Went with three dual band and one relay. The three dual band dimmers control the main lights in the room. The relay switch controls the rope lighting in the crown molding. I haven't programmed them yet but they are pretty cool so far. Here are some pics:

I will ultimately get the Central Controller or ISY99 so I can control the lights via the web/smart device.

Also, my original plan was to build my own fabric wall panels. My wife surprised me with one of these:

From pier one. They are painted canvas and about 1.5" thick. I really like the look and I think is a bit classy/ ol' school in design.
They also have this:

Plan is to add rigid insulation within the frame and hang them on the wall in between the columns.

So I went back to pier one and bought enough for two of each. The pictures do not do justice to the room, but here is some updated photos. (I really really need a better camera - yes I'm working on it ;) ).

Oh by the way .. candy stand is filled:

Still working on the punch list and will continue to update as I go.

#53 ·
Thanks - been checking up on your thread a bit and waiting for some latest photos :).

Very nice!

If you know any C+, you could use an Arduino based controller for your dimmers.
I am tech savvy and I know a little about computers, but a programmer I am not - unfortunately I would not be able to do this ... but maybe I know someone who does :)

#54 ·
lol Fortunatly, the majority of the code is available. The Arduino code is an open source version of C+, so there is a lot of people who have played with it.

I'll look through your equipment and see what exactly would have to be bought and programed. It might not be more economical. The contollers are cheap ($20-50) and can be integrated in several manners. The advantage I see is being able to change the program on a whim. My idea would be to simply piggy back on your existing iR(gott look at your equipment again) and have the arduino dim your lights according to remote keystrokes. The controller itself can be had in USB, CAT5, WiFI and Blue tooth for programing and control.

This is actually a neat little challenge. Most of the applications I've seen in the last couple of years with the Arduino have been pretty unpractical. The EE department at my university has been hung up on building robots with the Arduino. However, the more complex robots also use an mITX or simular hardware with Linux to activly control the Arduino. They've built some simpler "line followers" with just the Arduino. Maybe its just my lack of intrest, but most of that stuff has already been in practice for years. They've just made the hardware the size of a credit card(the 128 based Arduino is about that size. They also offer the same chip on a micro card thats about the size of a cigarette lighter, but with fewer pinouts)

Sorry for rambling, but this has grabbed my attention. Give me a few days and we'll see what I come up with, in your application.

#55 ·
Very cool. Ideally I would like to control all via wifi - lights, htpc, etc. - just setup some scenes hit play, pause, stop, etc. and all is coordinated and synchronized.

I have to admit though that automation is not my strong suit and I refuse to use a system where I have to rely on someone else making changes whenever I need something (i.e. creston, control 4, HAI, etc.).

Any help is much appreciated :)

#56 ·
The idea of not having to know code by heart is why I mentioned the Arduino. I don't like to program, but when it comes to C+, its not a difficult language to understand. If you can follow HTML, you can program in C+(comparing the learning curve, not the actual code). Heres a sample code to use the Arduino analog control and fade an LED:

Code:
/*
  Fade

This example shows how to fade an LED on pin 9
  using the analogWrite() function.

This example code is in the public domain.

*/
 int brightness = 0;    // how bright the LED is
 int fadeAmount = 5;    // how many points to fade the LED by

void setup()  { 
  // declare pin 9 to be an output:
   pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
 } 

void loop()  { 
  // set the brightness of pin 9:
   analogWrite(9, brightness);    

// change the brightness for next time through the loop:
   brightness = brightness + fadeAmount;

// reverse the direction of the fading at the ends of the fade: 
  if (brightness == 0 || brightness == 255) {
     fadeAmount = -fadeAmount ; 
  }     
  // wait for 30 milliseconds to see the dimming effect    
   delay(30);                            
 }

As you can see, its fairly straight forward. If you wanted to change dim time, you'd simply add more time to the delay line. Anything with // is ignored by the chip.

My idea is a bit different in the sense of having to deal with A/C. I've got a few ideas written down, but each one has its own drawback. I'm not going to pitch anything untill I'm comfortable with my research. As I stated before, the biggest benifit of using a controller like this is flexibilty and user access.

#61 ·
So far I have only worked out a light fading code and asssociated equipment. The only advantage, at the moment, is custom coding. I also do not like how it works, as it has an analog component. I'm still a bit of a novice engineer(sophmore), so maybe I'll get some of my question ansered in the near future once I have a bit more edumakashun. For now, I'm going to keep my ponderings to myself. You'll hear from me in the near future though. The wheels never stop turning... :ponder:

#62 ·
Well its been a little bit since my last update. Unfortunately I haven't taken any screenshots yet ...

But couple updates.

1) Bought and installed the IRlinc for my insteon lighting. Works like a charm with the scene settings and now my Harmony 1 controls the lighting along with all the audio and video. So know when I start the movie (hit play) the lights dim to off. When I hit pause, certain lights come on to a certain level (set to a slow speed so not to blind you :)). And when I hit the stop button, another scene with all the lights come on to a certain level at a set speed. All in all its such a cool effect and convenient.

2) Upgraded my rear speakers to the Aperion 4BP. They do a wonderful job and the rear surrounds now have an unbelievable sound stage. They are also take up less space than previous and are less intrusive. Highly recommend. Here are some pics:

3) I've ordered and received the components for my HTPC build. (See my HTPC build Thread - Link at Bottom). I'll post pictures of the final result here, but keep the progress photos in the HTPC build thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.